Model Cars Magazine Forum

A detailed review of Round 2 upcoming product introductions from the 2022 NNL Motor City

tim boyd

33 minutes ago, Motor City said:

The literature posted above showing the optional and standard wheels, wheelcovers, hubcaps, and steering wheels mentions what was available for each model.  One of the models mentioned is the Satellite Sebring Plus, a model only available in 1971 and 1972.  Either the literature wasn't updated for the '73 model year or what was posted earlier is for '71 or '72.

The Judge was originally intended to be a stripper model like the Road Runner.  I think Delorean changed the marketing for it just before he went to Chevrolet as its general manager.  The early Trans Am also came without trim rings.

My El Camino has trim rings, but I'd rather not have them since the wheel paint gets scratched up whenever they have to be removed/replaced.  My Regal had Buick's chrome-plated rallye wheels, which I thought were much better looking.

The Satellite Sebring Plus was available in 1973 and 1974; it was a very sharp piece.  In fact, I would have preferred it over my RR, but you could not get the E58 360 4bbl in the SSP, which was a "fatal flaw" for me.  Plus a RR with the interior Decor Group was almost the same as the SSP, and the price was noticeably lower.  TB 

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Correct amundo. Not sure how dual exhaust "added" 20hp vs. the single exhaust 318, but... Not sure why that didn't carry over to the 318-powered Charger Rallye. 

Another little-known fact is that, unless one ordered power windows, the rear glass was fixed (i.e., hardtop vs. coupe) on '74 & '74 Road Runners. I wasn't aware of that until I noticed that most of the 1973-1974 R.R. (and, likely, the base Satellite two door) carried the "21" bodystyle vs. the "23" (hardtop).

IIRC, Bill Coulter built the Hustlin' Hemi Dart from the MPC 1969 Charlie Allen F/C and the MPC 1969 Barracuda; this was in 1969, IIRC (I saw the article in a 1983 or 1984 issue of SAE).

Correct amundo back at 'ya.  In fact I would have ordered the power windows had I known they made the rear windows operable instead of fixed.   Not only would that have made my RR a true hardtop, but being able to roll down the rear windows in conjunction with the "Strato air vent" option (or whatever they called it, which was otherwise useless) it would have made for a poor-man's A/C (yes, I passed on that option on my car.  I did, however, order the tach, tuff steering wheel, console/shifter, speed control, and radio delete (as referenced above).    I didn;t learn about the power window factoid until many years later, BTW.  TB 

PS- yep, that was Bill Coulter.  Went on to write many articles for SAE and Model Cars Mag, plus a number of books on modeling too.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

The Satellite Sebring Plus was available in 1973 and 1974; it was a very sharp piece.  In fact, I would have preferred it over my RR, but you could not get the E58 360 4bbl in the SSP, which was a "fatal flaw" for me.  Plus a RR with the interior Decor Group was almost the same as the SSP, and the price was noticeably lower.  TB 

thanks for the correction, Tim; I don't recall ever seeing one past '72 and made a bad assumption; I just looked at my '73 brochure and it came standard with all-vinyl bucket seats, wheel covers, 318 with single exhaust, and three-speed, column-mounted shifter; the brochure is dated Dec. 1, 1972 and still lists the 340 instead of the 360, which must have been introduced later in the 73 model year?

Jim...the 340 stayed for the whole model year 1973.  The E58 360 was 1974 and later.  I ordered mine in early October, it was built in Windsor and delivered in early December, 1973.  I think it was one of the first 360's down the production line.    

Generally Mopars with buckets and automatics had a column shift unless a console was ordered.  My '73 Duster 340 that I traded in on the RR had buckets, no console, and a column shift.  I really didn't like that very much, which was a contributing factor (though not the only one) in my decision to order the RR one year later...

The thng I liked best about the '73/'74 SSP was the moldings that went all around the DLO (daylight opening) of the side glass....the Sebring (notSSP) didn't have that feature.  

TB 

• Like 1

Tim,

I had to look at the brochure again to see what you were talking about regarding the moldings.  I agree, it looks better going all the way around. 

I'm more knowledgeable about GM and Ford vehicles, and remember being disappointed when the Barracuda, Challenger, AMX and Javelin were dropped after '74.

• Like 1

That GS is something else. I have no idea where I'd find a correct 3-speed, but that dark green/saddle/tan top is very pretty, and I like the dog dishes. I don't know if I'd trust my skills enough to correctly remove the roof from a Monogram GSX, and then find a top, but I'd really like this.

Onto the main topic...

These releases show so much promise for Round 2. The GTOs look great, the Coronet, contrary to some of the party-poopers elsewhere, I think is a nice upgrade from the original kit while not forgetting its roots. I was expecting a new body on a Roadrunner/GTX chassis, but this is nice. I will, however say that AMT might be wise to note prominently that these re-created kits are that, re-creations of original tools with selected upgrades, and are not the same as a modern-tooled kit. This might help address perceived (and possible real) disappointment from someone who buys, say, one of the modern Camaros, then picks this up and doesn't see what he might otherwise expect. That'll give fair warning to people.

The Charger and Bronco are VERY exciting. I plan on getting each.

The shortbox C/K is nice, too. I could see using one of the V6s from a Sonoma or S-10 with the 350 TBI setup and build someone's toy truck....didn't need a real workhorse, just light hauling in style.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 1

I just wish Round 2 would correct the poor taillights and grill on the 68 Road Runner instead of reissue after reissue of the same inaccuracies. Simple improvements along with correcting the innner fenders, dashboard, hood and quarter panel wheel arches. But I guess their focus is on other subjects, which is as good. Thank goodness for the the aftermarket making accurate replacements. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyG said:

I just wish Round 2 would correct the poor taillights and grill on the 68 Road Runner instead of reissue after reissue of the same inaccuracies. Simple improvements along with correcting the innner fenders, dashboard, hood and quarter panel wheel arches. But I guess their focus is on other subjects, which is as good. Thank goodness for the the aftermarket making accurate replacements. 

Come on man! They gave you new decals and tampo printed tires in the last issue, that should be good enough! LOL!  

All kidding aside, I really doubt they will touch that mold, even though it is 33 years old! Now, if they lost it or damaged it, then there would be  hope for improvements. But I would not hold my breath. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Amphicat is a new tool/mold that was in a Space 1999 Eagle accessory kit. No connection to the Aurora Banana Splits kit. If the original Banana Splits mold exists it would probably be with Atlantis. Wouldn't be surprised if figures will be available at some point from aftermarket casters or 3d designers. 

Edited by Phirewriter

On 11/23/2022 at 5:17 PM, tim boyd said:

Jim...the 340 stayed for the whole model year 1973.  The E58 360 was 1974 and later.  I ordered mine in early October, it was built in Windsor and delivered in early December, 1973.  I think it was one of the first 360's down the production line.    

Generally Mopars with buckets and automatics had a column shift unless a console was ordered.  My '73 Duster 340 that I traded in on the RR had buckets, no console, and a column shift.  I really didn't like that very much, which was a contributing factor (though not the only one) in my decision to order the RR one year later...

The thng I liked best about the '73/'74 SSP was the moldings that went all around the DLO (daylight opening) of the side glass....the Sebring (notSSP) didn't have that feature.  

TB 

Tim I really like pictures of your 74 but I have never owned one.  Though I owned a 75 360 Roadrunner but a 2bbl.  Pretty rare but not very quick.  I believe the only HP engine in the 74 Sebring Plus was the 400 4bbl. which would have had dual exhausts.  I actually in my old age like the looks of the Sebring Plus better than the Roadrunner in 73 and 74.  If not mistaken your 74 also had a luggage rack?  Black with red stripes?  Have your replicated that in 1:25 scale?  

6 hours ago, drodg said:

Tim I really like pictures of your 74 but I have never owned one.  Though I owned a 75 360 Roadrunner but a 2bbl.  Pretty rare but not very quick.  I believe the only HP engine in the 74 Sebring Plus was the 400 4bbl. which would have had dual exhausts.  I actually in my old age like the looks of the Sebring Plus better than the Roadrunner in 73 and 74.  If not mistaken your 74 also had a luggage rack?  Black with red stripes?  Have your replicated that in 1:25 scale?  

David....yes you are correct, the only high performance engine in the '74 Sebring Plus was the 400 4bbl that included duals and the "bazooka" exhaust tips.  There was some thought at the time that the 360 E58 was actually a faster car due to very similar hp ratings (245 vs. IIRc 250 net for the 400 combined with the lighter weight of the 360), so for me that was a key factor in going for the 360.  Also, my Dad had bought a new '73 Coronet Crestwood with the 400 4 bbl and duals; it was a good engine but not nearly as responsive (even taking into account the difference in vehicle weights) as my 360.  So that, and the lower purchase price for comparable equipment, was the deciding factor in favor of the RR vs. the SSP, as like you, I actually preferred the overall appearance of the SSP. 

The luggage rack was a factory option in '71 but was dropped (I believe in '72) as part of the product simplification effort at Mopar.  It was still in the Parts and Accessory catalog, though, so I bought it through the dealer parts dept. and installed it myself.  It looked very cool but was highly prone to rusting after just a couple of years; big disappointment.  

Yes, I finally built a replica of my real car in 2020; construction details were covered in depth in the Kalmlbach special issue called MuscleCars, Retro Mods and Pro Touring, currently available at their website.  Here's a photo of the model... and thanks for the questions.....TB

DSC 0940

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 8

On 12/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, tim boyd said:

David....yes you are correct, the only high performance engine in the '74 Sebring Plus was the 400 4bbl that included duals and the "bazooka" exhaust tips.  There was some thought at the time that the 360 E58 was actually a faster car due to very similar hp ratings (245 vs. IIRc 250 net for the 400 combined with the lighter weight of the 360), so for me that was a key factor in going for the 360.  Also, my Dad had bought a new '73 Coronet Crestwood with the 400 4 bbl and duals; it was a good engine but not nearly as responsive (even taking into account the difference in vehicle weights) as my 360.  So that, and the lower purchase price for comparable equipment, was the deciding factor in favor of the RR vs. the SSP, as like you, I actually preferred the overall appearance of the SSP. 

The luggage rack was a factory option in '71 but was dropped (I believe in '72) as part of the product simplification effort at Mopar.  It was still in the Parts and Accessory catalog, though, so I bought it through the dealer parts dept. and installed it myself.  It looked very cool but was highly prone to rusting after just a couple of years; big disappointment.  

Yes, I finally built a replica of my real car in 2020; construction details were covered in depth in the Kalmlbach special issue called MuscleCars, Retro Mods and Pro Touring, currently available at their website.  Here's a photo of the model... and thanks for the questions.....TB

DSC 0940

Tim I did buy the issue and I am reading about this build and the build  on the AAR Cuda.  Thanks for referring the article and magazine. 

49 minutes ago, drodg said:

Tim I did buy the issue and I am reading about this build and the build  on the AAR Cuda.  Thanks for referring the article and magazine. 

David....glad you enjoyed the article(s).   I just wish there was wider awareness of the publication among the model car community as I think others would find it informative as well. 

Thanks for the heads-up back to me, and sure enjoyed our back-and-forth discussion on early 1970's Mopar B-Bodies.  Now, where's that 1/1 scale 1974 SSP I've been looking for (smile).   Best...TB 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 1:31 PM, PintoKING said:

The Space-1999 Moonbuggy / amphicat in 1/24.....

Was that kit issued before? I don't recall it from the MPC kits....

Could it be the old AURORA "Banana-Splits" buggy, with figures?

https://culttvman.com/main/tim-shorneys-banana-splits/

If so, please, PLEASE,   P-L-E-A-S-E    include the figures!!!

The Banana Splits 6 wheeler and figures are available from Jimmy Flinstone. I have been after them for a long time and finally found Jimmy was making them in resin.

However... You are going to HATE the price. Look on his site or eBay.

I wanted them bad... Not THAT bad.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:27 PM, Dragline said:

The Banana Splits 6 wheeler and figures are available from Jimmy Flinstone. I have been after them for a long time and finally found Jimmy was making them in resin.

However... You are going to HATE the price. Look on his site or eBay.

I wanted them bad... Not THAT bad.

Well, considering it includes 4 figures and the Amphicat, that is actually not a bad price. But I am sure he will end up doing just the figures when the kit comes out. 

• 1 month later...

It will come back since so many like the design or wish they had bought one previously.  I'd rather see the '71 GTX and a new '70 GTX, but the Road Runner will sell very well when it returns.  I thought the '73-'74 looked better.  

Edited by Motor City