Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Blower Manifold (01/28/23)

19 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

I really like the new pieces, certainly a step up.

Thank you, my friend! The whole body, now that it's made from the flashing, is worlds stronger. It does look better, too!

18 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

Nice addition to the model!  👍

Joe

Thanks, Joe! I had them on there, originally, but the supports broke off. I redesigned those, and built new canards from step flashing. It's sold as being .011", but, once it's stripped of its protective coating, it goes about .008", or so. I seem to use a lot of it! Not all of it successfully.😂

I made a new seat. That was easy! Every once in a while, the universe throws you a bone. Although I used the original seat to make most of the outline for the new seat, I changed a couple of cuts on the new one. Luckily, it still fit, first try! I need to get it out, so that I can do the cutouts for the harness. I am also going to make a liner, for it. I'm trying to decide if I'll use leather, or thin, dense foam rubber.

I think this is the last of the major components that needed fabrication, before the big mockup--once I remember/figure out what all these tabs were/are for! A lot of the other stuff is built--brake handle, master cylinder, chute releases, fuel shutoff...those were all built during the original construction period. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

• Like 2

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--New Seat (01/11/23)

Great job Daniel, I love the seat, it fits perfectly in the cage.

I was wondering to know what is the thickness of the flashing you used for the canards and the wing?

This material is probably easy to get at the hardware store, but I have some old .005" offset printing plates and I know that .007" plates from larger presses are available, do you think this is a material that would also do the trick?

7 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I was wondering to know what is the thickness of the flashing you used for the canards and the wing?

This material is probably easy to get at the hardware store, but I have some old .005" offset printing plates and I know that .007" plates from larger presses are available, do you think this is a material that would also do the trick?

Hi Francis.  I'm using flashing as well for almost and of my modeling, especially the last 4.  I bought mine from Rona Home building supplies.  6 inches wide by 10 feet long, $24.00 Canadian.   The stuff I got was 6061 T6 mill finish and .008 thick.  It's quite forgiving as shown by the cowl on the Royal Canadian Dragster that I hand formed before Daniel informed me how much easier thing go when it is annealed. LOL  Drills and cuts fairly easily.

Edited by Ian McLaren
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thank you, Francis. It really does fit, beautifully--first try. 😀 Doesn't seem to happen too often, but, it sure is nice, when it does! The flashing lists as .011", but, once the protective coating is sanded off, it's about .0075". It's become one of my favorite building materials, for sure. Step flashing is available at hardware stores and lumberyards, generally. I've even seen it on Ebay.

I know a lot of guys who've used printers' plate, and they swear by it. I've never tried it, because I'm too lazy to call around to print shops who still do offset printing, to find it. I would be interested to know its properties, though. The more materials you know, and have, the better equipped you are to overcome an obstacle in a project, no? 🙂

5 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Hi Francis.  I'm using flashing as well for almost and of my modeling, especially the last 4.  I bought mine from Rona Home building supplies.  6 inches wide by 10 feet long, $24.00 Canadian.   The stuff I got was 6061 T6 mill finish and .008 thick.  It's quite forgiving as shown by the cowl on the Royal Canadian Dragster that I hand formed before Daniel informed me how much easier thing go when it is annealed. LOL  Drills and cuts fairly easily.

Yes--I love using the stuff! I acquired mine, for free, one day when I was driving a truck back to the lumberyard, after we'd done an insulation job. It was a hot Minnesota late-afternoon, and the truck wasn't air-conditioned, so both cab windows were down. Unbeknownst to me, there was an open bundle of 5"X7" step flashing under the seat. I hit a crosswind that started the air swirling around, inside the cab, carrying aluminum blades around the cab, with it! I swatted one that was flying at my face, as I was stopping the truck. The modeler in me said, "Hmm...this tried to kill me! I guess I'll have to take it home and cut it, and beat it, and burn it!" It took a little while to really get a feel for it, but, the learning path was always fun and interesting! There are many instances where annealing it is unnecessary, but to form compound curves, it's a must!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Awesome update, love the idea how to do the seat

Thanks, Marcos! I did some more work to the seat. I cut it out, for the lap belts, and did some finishing to the leading edges of the seat, by lightly hammering them over a piece of 1/16" tube. That should slightly curve them out, around the support tubes. I also cut the cowl to clear the steering, so, that's done! It feels like I've made some decent progress, over the last couple of days. As always, comments, questions and critiques are welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0021cr.jpg

• Like 2

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--More Seat, Cowl Steering Cutout (01/12/23)
17 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

The seat is turning out great, progressing nicely.

Thank you, Ian. I think, other than covering it, it's done. It doesn't need cement. Once it's in, the chassis tubes hold it perfectly together! That seat worked out maybe as well as anything I've ever built. I'm still amazed! It was just "BAM!", done. 😀 I'll take it!

I started temporarily hanging some of the cockpit details. I need to make a new brake fluid reservoir. White glued in place are the brake handle (wood grip), the fuel shutoff (aluminum handle, next to brake) and the reverser handle (wood grips--shorter, under dash pipe). I also cut a piece of wire for the fuel shutoff cable. I noticed a chassis upright tube that needs to be replaced, as well. I need to build the loud pedal, and replace the pin that mounts the handles for the chute release and (I guess? I'll have to go back to my old research) the high-speed leanout. Still quite a way to go, but, maybe not as far as I originally thought! I apologize for the photos. It's hard to get a good focus, with so much going on, and without the tripod. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0021cr.jpg

DSC_0026cr.jpg

DSC_0028cr.jpg

DSC_0030cr.jpg

DSC_0031cr.jpg

• Like 4

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Some Cockpit Details (01/12/23)
1 hour ago, Joe Nunes said:

This build gets my attention with every post. Amazing detail work that doesn't look "overdone" ...very realistic. I really should be looking for my Tiddlywinks again!  🤣😆

Joe

I think Tiddlywinks could be used for headlight covers for a vintage NASCAR racer! Maybe some smooth backing plates?😄 Seriously, though, thank you, Joe! I appreciate that!

27 minutes ago, John B. said:

Absolutely astounding work, sir!

Thanks, John. I'm having a lot of fun, with it!

• Haha 1

I got the master cylinder in place, along with the reservoir. Both are temporarily white glued, thus the crooked cap on the reservoir. The brass fitting on the bottom of the reservoir will get filed down shorter. I made the reservoir and cap from plastic, and will not paint them since the prototypes are plastic, although the tank itself should be a bit less opaque. Next up, I'll build a throttle pedal--or something!😄

3DSC_0002cr.jpg

3DSC_0004cr.jpg

3DSC_0005cr.jpg

• Like 2

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--More Cockpit Details-Braking (01/14/23)
1 hour ago, Ian McLaren said:

I Like it good progress!

Thank you, my friend!

I started working on a battery. I milled it out of a piece of Delrin I bought a while back, for making 1/43 scale tires. I still need to add the cell caps. Now, most of these seem to be using dry-cell batteries, but, in the '90s, wet-cells were fairly common. I still haven't started on the throttle pedal, either. All this little stuff needs to be addressed, anyway! Comments are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

• Like 2

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Data Recorder Battery (01/15/23)

Great details Daniel, your talent is always evident with each update and your explanations very helpful.

For me, you really embody the obvious fun and resourcefulness, I know I'm repeating myself but I can't help it!

Everyone takes this hobby to their own level or limits but if someone wants to go beyond what a kit offers, your tips are the perfect example of what can be done without breaking the bank! 👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great details Daniel, your talent is always evident with each update and your explanations very helpful.

For me, you really embody the obvious fun and resourcefulness, I know I'm repeating myself but I can't help it!

Everyone takes this hobby to their own level or limits but if someone wants to go beyond what a kit offers, your tips are the perfect example of what can be done without breaking the bank! 👍

I truly appreciate your kind words, Francis. I enjoy sharing the things I've learned, over the years, whether it's of the many, many things others have taught me, or stuff I've figured out, because I wanted to know if I could...

I wanted to know a lot of it--rudimentary moldmaking and casting, especially, because I knew that would save me money on buying kits, just for parts! Not to mention, it gives me a great deal of satisfaction to look at parts I just made from raw materials! You know how that is!

I got the powertrain installed. That all fits. The third-member is sitting at an angle, because it's loose! That's a fine thing! Once I make and install the clutch and throttle pedals, I can take all that apart, again. Then I can repair the chassis and repaint it. I'm pretty happy with the way this thing's going, so far. Shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks from building a motor.

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

• Like 2

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Powertrain In Position (01/16/23)
  • Straightliner59 changed the title to Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Throttle Pedal (01/17/23)

I'm trying to get a little bit done, every day. Today was the clutch pedal. Pretty basic stuff--.015" brass strip with a pedal of 3/64" brass tube. I just kind of threw the actuator arm/cross shaft together. I want to do some more work to them. All the controls are white glued in place. I wanted to see how it looked with the panels on. I still need to make the butterfly, and the clutch blow-back rods, along with a few other little items. Thanks for for your comments and thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

• Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Clutch Pedal (01/18/23)
  • Straightliner59 changed the title to Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Blower Manifold (01/28/23)