Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Blower Manifold (01/28/23)

15 hours ago, absmiami said:

Me too …

Thank you, Mr. Sapiro!

9 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I join the group that loves it very much! 😁

Thank you, my friend!

8 hours ago, John B. said:

Incredible workmanship, sir!

Thanks, John.

4 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

That is awesome, love the detail, can't wait to see some color on that 

Thanks, Marcos. I just have to figure out what colour(s) it's going to be!😂

• Haha 1

I have done more work to the dash. I made the 'T'-handle with .010" brass wire, soldered using my Weller iron. The iron works much better in these instances, because all it takes is a touch of the tinned tip, to heat the wire sufficiently to fuse. I plan to do some shaping, to it. I think I will use the black nails for the knobs for the hi-lo and manual hi-speed. Mag kill will go in the hole next to the fuel shutoff. I'm still collecting reference for the data collection/readout wiring. I don't anticipate it being too horribly difficult! I also made a draincock for the puke tank. It will go roughly one-third of the way across the rear-bottom of the tank--offset so that it doesn't dump on the main fuel line. It's a model railroad part, with a handle scratched from aluminum. The chassis is ready for paint. I'm going to paint it this weekend, as the weather's supposed to be beautiful. I would paint it in the booth,  but, since I knew the nicer weather was coming, and because I can see and maneuver it better, out in the open, I've decided t wait. I'm also planning on entering a few things in a contest, this weekend. We'll see how that goes! Questions, critiques and comments are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

WOW, what i nice work man, that panel is going to be top notch 

Thank you, my friend! I am going to rework/fix the hi/lo and manual hi-speed knobs, where they go through the dash. The drill slipped, and they aren't square, to each other. I've got a fix figured out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian McLaren said:

I love the final outline on the dash panel, and I really want to see the chassis in paint. The details are coming along very nicely,  as always great work my friend.

Thank you, Ian. I'm hoping to get paint on it, today! It should warm up, nicely, this afternoon. It will be helpful to not have the space restrictions of my spray booth, given all the angles, and tight spaces involved.

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Thank you, Ian. I'm hoping to get paint on it, today! It should warm up, nicely, this afternoon. It will be helpful to not have the space restrictions of my spray booth, given all the angles, and tight spaces involved.

Great job as usual Daniel, the dash and drain valve are both superb!

Do you use a special type of "etching primer" like Ian used on the brass frame of his last project?  I have never applied paint to brass and was wondering how a conventional primer or paint would adhere to this type of surface.

13 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job as usual Daniel, the dash and drain valve are both superb!

Do you use a special type of "etching primer" like Ian used on the brass frame of his last project?  I have never applied paint to brass and was wondering how a conventional primer or paint would adhere to this type of surface.

Well, Francis, my friend 😃, thank you for your kind words. Also, your timing in asking is impeccable. Here it is, in its freshly-minted glory! This is Tamiya Light Gun Metal spray over Krylon grey primer. I haven't ever used an etching primer, that I recall. The first time I painted this I used Krylon primer, as well. It lasted 25 years! I didn't have any adherence issues. I think a clean surface is most important. Anyway, I really love the sheen of this paint! Now, I can use the area behind the seat, inside the tail section to determine whether, or not, I want to "discolor" the welds!😁

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Daniel your frame is absolutely beautiful !!! 

Thank you, Edgar! I feel like I need to rub some pastels into it, to tone it down a bit, but the color and sheen are fine, as they are.

4 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

When you have a scratch built metal frame that looks this good at this stage you know the rest of the build is going to be outstanding. 👌

Joe

Thanks, my friend! I was pleased with how well it was cleaned up, once I could tell how much it was cleaned up.🙂 It's pretty hard to tell, before paint, with the metal's shine. Fortunately, I didn't have to touch it, after the primer. Thanks for your kind comments!

• Like 1

The chassis looks fantastic Daniel I agree with the color you used. The McLaren themed ND I started months ago has the same color frame in it (just a cleaned up kit chassis) and it suits the design.  I'm looking forward to seeing yours come together, it's going to be quite the model when finished!

9 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

The chassis looks fantastic Daniel I agree with the color you used. The McLaren themed ND I started months ago has the same color frame in it (just a cleaned up kit chassis) and it suits the design.  I'm looking forward to seeing yours come together, it's going to be quite the model when finished!

Thank you, Ian. It really is a nice color for bare metal chassis. I'm not surprised that you used it, as well! It really feels like it's getting somewhere, now. I'm putting the anti-sub belt together, now. Once it's installed, I can install the third member!

I finished the puke tank, except for bolts in the mounting tabs. I also built and installed the anti-sub belt assembly, and mounted the carriers for the third member. I'll be making the nuts for them, forthwith. I need to replace one bolt head, and the Strange logo on the differential, as well. I should have the rear axle mounted, today! Questions, comments and critiques are always welcomed. Thank for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

• Like 3