Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Blower Manifold (01/28/23)

8 hours ago, Codi said:

It took me a while Daniel but I did get caught up with all of your progress and updates.  Sorry to hear about the "mend" you had to make but it all looks good from here.   cheers, tim

Thank you, Tim. Yes, it's really none the worse, for wear. My sincerest condolences on the loss of your Mom. Glad modeling has provided something of a relief, for you. Take care, my friend.

The brakes are plumbed. The material I used for the braided line is somewhat springy. Of course, it's wire. Wire tends to "springy". That quality caused a mishap on the left-hand side line. It moved, and left me about 1/16" short. To repair it, I cut it back farther, and spliced a new section on, using a piece of small-diameter wire insulation. I touched it up with some Dark Anodonic Grey metallizer. It's barely visible, here. It should be virtually undetectable, once the car's together. I appreciate your questions and comments. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

DSC_0023cr.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

WOW, looking better and better, those lines look realistic

Thank you, Marcos ! I think the bead wire worked out for the fine brake lines pretty well, too.

For some reason, I decided to mockup the car. This is as close to seeing the overall "done" look, as I have got. I'm still trying to figure out the layout, for the paint, now that colors are determined. Questions comments and critiques are always appreciated. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

looks amazing

Thank you, my friend! 

I'm not sure if I am done with this, or not. I started working on the output shaft cover. It's what's called "adjustable length", in that the end pieces can be slid along the tube, to match the length needed. I'm still researching these things, because I am having difficulty finding proper dimensions. The brass piece is intended to be the shaft speed sensor for the computer, but I still haven't found a decent photo of that installation, either... 

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

DSC_0026cr.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg

• Like 3

Some things I've been working on: First is something I picked up from Andy Sapiro; Parafilm is great for protecting finished surfaces, while you're working. It doesn't leave a residue, and it only sticks, lightly. It doesn't have any adhesive, so it removes, easily. I, too, would recommend it.

Second is a pinion carrier. I think I just about have this driveline sorted out! I also was messing around with connectors for the data acquisition systems. This is .030"X.030" styrene strip, bored through. Wire is Detail master Detailing Wire. Comments are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0034cr.jpg

DSC_0035cr.jpg

• Like 2

More work on the driveline. I detailed the speed sensor, and wired it. I'll paint the connectors and the fitting on the sensor body. Not pictured; I turned and drilled the mount for the back of the reverser. That completes the driveline tube, sans a few nut/bolt castings. Thanks for looking! Whaddya' know? The photos look decent, for a change!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dragline said:

These modern FE cars have all the bells and whistles their older siblings didn't have so they are a detailers dream.

Add to that your skill set and we get this killer digger. End result is gonna be off da hook.

They pretty much do! Except the fuel and ignition systems are only half the work.😂 Thank you, Bob! I'm really having a blast, with it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Gracious! Where and How do you get such patience and dedication? Absolutely amazing work! Thanks for the documentary on the right way to do it.

Thank you, Dan! It's just what I enjoy doing.🙂 I'm always happy to share what I'm working on. It's extra cool if somebody gets something useful out of it. Thanks again, sir!

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job Daniel, the driveshaft is absolutely gorgeous, this build just keeps getting better! 👌

Thank you, so kindly, my friend! I'm pretty happy with the way it's going. Positive response is truly icing on the cake!

I've got a little more work done, over the last couple of days. Still working on the driveline, so I can finish the cockpit. I painted the data link connections, and the bellhousing. I started work on a new reverser. I painted the bellhousing with Krylon Original Chrome over Walmart Paint Place Gloss Black. I got a little hasty, and left a couple of small marks on the finish. Since one will be down, under the reverser, and the other beneath the adjustment/inspection cover, they won't be any issue. I decided against stripping the part. The dust exhaust tube is 3/32" aluminum tube, bent using a bending tool I made, many years ago. Its length will be adjusted, once the floor pan is fitted to this assembly. Questions and critiques and comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Daniel, the work you have done on the drivline is spectacular and your attention to detail is spot on. This thread is becoming a master class in building a current nostalgia front engine TF car and how to create details for almost any type of model.

Thank you, so much, Ian. I appreciate knowing that it's inspirational and informative, to others!

Added more details to the clutch can, and reverser. This stuff is all just stacked on hat 1/16" rod, and none of it's cemented, yet. I made the new inspection cover from flashing, and polished it. I can say this: Krylon Original Chrome is a dead match for polished aluminum. I think the driveline is getting close. I need to figure out exactly how I am going to install the driveline into the cockpit, along with the motor plate, and be able to plug the engine into that, once it's built. I have an idea, and I don't think it'll be too difficult, but I want to make sure I'm not wrong.😃

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

• Like 2

I like that Krylon ‘chrome’ for polished aluminum too!  It’s a weird paint - it’s tough to get other paint to stick to it sometimes (I tried using it as a base for candies) and the paints I tried would often bead up on the surface, but it’s great for what it’s great for!

Really enjoying this build still - it’s a real masterclass

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I like that Krylon ‘chrome’ for polished aluminum too!  It’s a weird paint - it’s tough to get other paint to stick to it sometimes (I tried using it as a base for candies) and the paints I tried would often bead up on the surface, but it’s great for what it’s great for!

Really enjoying this build still - it’s a real masterclass

I'd never tried it as an undercoat, but, it does look super-slippery. Thank you, kindly, sir! I hope to keep this thread interesting. I enjoy sharing what I'm doing, and it's nice to hear when others are enjoying it, too!

I'm going to give it a bit of weathering, but, this is otherwise done! Next up, I will work out exactly how I'm going to install this and the motor plate, so that the engine can be easily installed, when its time comes. I used short lengths of black wire insulation for the reverser bolts. Most of the Lenco reversers I found had black anodized cap screws, so...Questions, comments and critiques are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

• Like 1