Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Hurst OLDSMOBILE...

mhadman

Thanks E1...I saw a 1:1 build (I think it was a 1970)that a guy put together a few years ago.I loved the idea,and am a bit of a 68-71 cutlass nut.I will keep showing progress as I get more done.I am pretty excited with this project...It has gone relatively easy so far..

Looks Great! I like the concept alot! Makes you wonder why they never did it?! I mean they made a Cadillac Pickup Olds would have seemed more natural with a higher trim level than the chevy. Anyhow my 2 cents, keep up the great work can't wait to see the finished product! Now what could I do with a Dodge.... or.......Buick yea..... :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Looks great, Mark. Very believable build!! GM could have had a 1:1 in an Oldsmobile showroom back in the day.

Thanks tony...If i had the money to build a car,this would be the one...I love trucks,and muscle cars,that is why i love El Caminos and rancheros..lol

Latest installment of the Olds project...wheel detail...I took the mag wheels from the amt 69 olds kit,drememled out the centers,and then block sanded from the rear till just the trim ring was left.

The kits factory stock wheels were then block sanded from the front,and the rings were added.

the top left is the AMT mag wheel,the bottom left is the AMT factory stock 442 wheel.

In the middle is the trim ring after sanding,and on the far right is the finished factory stock wheel with ring detail added....

wheel12610.jpg

umm, i think it would look better with the W30/31 style hood, like the 1st[?] pic, the gold hood....

i'm just sayin.... lol

the hood scoop on the H/O was a bit odd in 69,but i want to keep it looking like it might have from the Hurst shop.I plan on doing a 1970 at some point also..

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Those are cool! I've seen a bunch of ElCamino knock offs but these are really neat. I like what you did with the wheels. Most of the kit factory rally wheels have a trim ring that is ridiculously too large. Can't wait to see the progress on these. Maybe for the 70 you can use the 442 stripes down the sides and mimic an SX model Cutlass on the OldsCamino.

Latest installment of the Olds project...wheel detail...I took the mag wheels from the amt 69 olds kit,drememled out the centers,and then block sanded from the rear till just the trim ring was left.

The kits factory stock wheels were then block sanded from the front,and the rings were added.

the top left is the AMT mag wheel,the bottom left is the AMT factory stock 442 wheel.

In the middle is the trim ring after sanding,and on the far right is the finished factory stock wheel with ring detail added....

wheel12610.jpg

This whole thing is lookin neat! Great concept. One thing I love about this hobby is seeing people's ideas for cars that never were, but look like they should have been.

Thanks for showing how you did the wheels and the trim ring. I'm totally going to use this for an upcoming project that needs the same treatment and I don't think that I would have thought to drill out another set of rims to add a ring to others. Brilliant. Keep up the good work!

Cheers

umm, i think it would look better with the W30/31 style hood, like the 1st[?] pic, the gold hood....

i'm just sayin.... lol

umm, the gold hood you mentioned is a standard flat Cutlass/442 hood; the '69 W-30 & W-31 used air scoops under the bumper, while the scooped hood didn't come along until 1970. B) I'm just sayin.

'69 W-30:

oldsmobile-00015-1.jpg

'70 W-30:

1970-olds-442-burgundy-600x450.jpg

Not to stray too far off the topic, Mark's doing a great job on those 'phantom' Olds trucks. I've had the opportunity to see them in person, and even brainstorm with him, as we live in neighboring towns.