Model Cars Magazine Forum

2023 Cannonball Run Build Theme Suggestions

White Rabbit

Hello fellow Cannonballers! As this year's race nears its conclusion, this would seem to be a good time to begin suggesting possible Cannonball themes for the 2023 running.

To get us started, below are my suggestions (note: all vehicles should be street legal):

Phantomball run: build a vehicle from a manufacturer that might have been, but never was. Essentially, something that could have been a possible purchasable vehicle, but was never made. Perhaps it was a concept that didn't make it to production or a "what-if" type of build.

Mid-Engine Mania: as the name implies, all mid-engined vehicles are eligible. This includes front-mid-engine and rear-mid-engine layouts; that is, the bulk of the engine should be either behind the front axle line or in front of the rear axle line. This idea is not limited solely to existing mid-engined vehicles. Any vehicle is eligible so long as the final mounting of the engine is midships; regardless of where the engine was originally located.

Luxury Challenge: VIP from coast-to-coast. All luxury vehicles are welcome. This one is all about speed, power, and comfort.

I look forward to everyone's suggestions!

I like the idea of a Phantomball run because it pushes one of the most important (imo) aspects of our hobby: CREATIVITY!

I would also like to throw some suggestions from last year into the ring again:

Waggons (because I love long roofs)

Hot Wheels (because I miss the collection of my childhood)

4-doors (because my 2020 and 2022 entries were 4-doors, so I'm kinda used to it 😁)

How about a Totally Inappropriate Cannonball? You know, cars that shouldn't be raced long distance. Such as dually pickups, tiny cars with tiny hand grenade engines, maybe huge old luxury cars. I'm thinking a 90s era limo, maybe a Yugo with a high revving 1200cc engine, or a Ford F-350 lowered and filled with a NASCAR  engine.

Edited by oldcarfan

I'm down with pickups and music themed. Phantom ball sounds interesting, too... junker ball... SEMA

But then again... I haven't finished a CBR in so long, I probably don't need to be looking at this :D

Edited by KWT

On 11/19/2022 at 10:27 PM, 426 pack said:

I like the pro street and phantom ball 

also a couple ideas I have.

-emergency vehicles (cop car, fire truck, ambulance and so on)

-pickup trucks 

-Moonshine runners  

Love the Mooonshine runners idea... I have the perfect kit for such an endeavor. Probably gonna build it that way now with or whthout CBR because you said this so THANKS!

Definitely a solid list of ideas!

Updated list (in order of posting):

-Phantomball Run

-Mid-Engine Mania

-Luxury Challenge

-Wagons

-Hot Wheels

-Four-Doors

-Early Pro Street

-Emergency vehicles

-Pick-up trucks

-Moonshine runners

-Musketball

-Monster Garage

-Music-themed

-Hero vehicles

-Drag week

-Run-what-you-brung

-Tom Daniel

Im just excited for whatever it may be.

I'd like to suggest that we could also do a "death race 2000" type theme...

Cars with machine guns, rocket launchers... and various gadgets designed to create great calamity for fellow racers!

Or we could do crime fighting vehicles. Think of like the batmobile or black beauty or the likes, except we have to build our own... it can't be an established vehicle. So long as it's a vehicle that could support a hero/vigilante type character. 

Or 

Delivery vehicles, Could be any vehicle that is used to deliver goods... but must be branded. The brand doesn't have to be real world, could be totally made up... could be a panel van hauling ketchup for all that It matters.

What about "The Cars of YouTube"? The Independence Chevelle, the Million Mile Lexus, Blasphemi, or any other YouTube celebri-car. Did you find it in a barn, kick out the mice, replace the sparkalators and fuel makeithappener and top her off with fresh dinosaur juice in the parking lot of a Motel 6? Did you put a 12 valve, rotary, or 2jz in something it has no business being in? Or did you do the right thing and do a full rotisserie restoration of something actually worth driving? If you can find it on YouTube get it to the starting line, with your own spin of course.

• Haha 1