Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Car

mrmike

• 2 weeks later...

I started assembling the Corvair motor for the U.N.C.L.E. car and everything went well until I went to install the intake manifolds.  There are none!  I guess I shall have to improvise and make some based on the drawings provided and some research on the internet.  The doors have been taped to the roof and now I can mark my slots in the laser beam unit for the new hinges I will be making from 5/32 inch styrene tubing.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. will return...

UNCLE10.JPG

UNCLE11.JPG

UNCLE12.JPG

I have read that this kit is somewhat difficult to assemble and I researched it until I was satisfied that I could assemble it properly.  Over the years, this kit has been used for the drag race version and some parts may have gone missing as evidence by the missing intake manifolds.  I'll make some intake manifolds.  They may not be 100% accurate, but I will have some.  

Guess, what I have just found...my intake manifolds!  I had clipped some parts from the chrome sprue and placed them in a container with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner.  I have just washed them so now they can dry and be painted.

Thanks Don!  I had to let the glue dry and harden on the carbs/superchargers/turbochargers so they wouldn't move, but I don't know.  They look like turbos, but they could be superchargers.  All I know is that they are on!

Thanks Carl!

Ken, this kit has been out since the late sixties.  It has been reissued many times over the years and I built an original kit back around 1967.  The car was built, but it wasn't used that often, probably due to problems with the car or because the script didn't call for it.

33 minutes ago, mrmike said:

The car was built, but it wasn't used that often, probably due to problems with the car or because the script didn't call for it.

Probably because it didn't offer much protection and you had to have some guy hold the door up so you could shoot.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9KBx4rXcpiGPpzqgLurK

Although still far better than the secret spy agency that plasters their logo across the whole hood!

unclethrushbuster.jpg

• Like 1

I never got any of the so-called U.N.C.L.E. merchandise unless it was through the U.N.C.L.E. Fan Club called the U.N.C.L.E. Inner Circle.  I still have the magazines some where, but nothing else.  From what I have researched, the engine is not the same as the 1:1 car!  No turbos (or whatever they were called), no propellers or drag chutes. 

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Jeremy!  I am a fan of the Man From U.N.C.L.E.  I built an original issue of this kit when the show was about 3 years old.  I have had this kit for several years sitting in the stash and I decided to build it.   So far, it's coming along with some difficulties, but it is coming along.

Edited by mrmike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I worked on the UNCLE Car today.  First modeling building I have done on this since painting the body on January 10th.  I got the engine installed, front and rear suspension installed and the chassis cemented in place.  I keep my hopes up, but this kit is a pile of doo-doo.

UNCLE25.JPG

UNCLE26.JPG

UNCLE27.JPG

On 12/14/2022 at 10:11 AM, mrmike said:

Thanks Carl!

Ken, this kit has been out since the late sixties.  It has been reissued many times over the years and I built an original kit back around 1967.  The car was built, but it wasn't used that often, probably due to problems with the car or because the script didn't call for it.

The car was a bit of a problem, because it really wasn't sized to fit the actors. Even when it was the women driving the car, there were a number of embarrassing moments involving short skirts and climbing over the door sills.

I have the paperbacks in storage, and remember that the agents always complained when they were required to use the spy car (ostensibly to 'test' out the operation of the gadgets...)