Model Cars Magazine Forum

Matching Ford Sunset Coral

For that build I personally would order the enamel from MCW. Very OEM. Any of the primers mentioned plus also Mr Primer Surfacer would work well with the enamel. Mike will mix it if he doesn't already offer it in enamel.  But enamel is what Ford used in those years. Just my preference. I'm doing a 1/16 57 T Bird in Ocean Mist enamel.

46 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

For that build I personally would order the enamel from MCW. Very OEM. Any of the primers mentioned plus also Mr Primer Surfacer would work well with the enamel. Mike will mix it if he doesn't already offer it in enamel.  But enamel is what Ford used in those years. Just my preference. I'm doing a 1/16 57 T Bird in Ocean Mist enamel.

My understanding is that all of the MCW enamels are offered only in 1/2 oz. jars, so you will have to thin for airbrush yourself.

That’s fine, but the nice thing about the lacquers are that they come pre-thinned, and ready to spray. (2 oz jars)

That said, you’ll have to make the decision of what works best for you.

I like using lacquers for various reasons, but I understand that some are more comfortable with enamels. 

Just be aware that if you use the enamels, you’ll have some limitations as to what you can use over it for clear coats and such.

Steve

MCW does offer a limited number of lacquer paints in aerosol spray cans.  Amazingly he has 4 that are probable candidates for your Thunderbird.  2740 Light Pink, 2741 Coral, 2742 Hot Pink and 2743 Panther Pink.  The second one sounds like a prime candidate.

I think if you go to their website:  www.mcwautomotivefinishes.com there might be an option to message them with questions or send the pic of the car you are wanting duplicate.

MCW is nice but i would rather pay $16.98 for 60mL of paint from scalefinishes than $18.25 for a single 30mL bottle from MCW.  MCW paints are nice if they spray right, and far from the best around.  There great if that's your only option to choose from.

Edited by Dpate

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

MCW is nice but i would rather pay $16.98 for 60mL of paint from scalefinishes than $18.25 for a single 30mL bottle from MCW.  MCW paints are nice if they spray right, and far from the best around.  There great if that's your only option to choose from.

I agree that in this circumstance, Scale Finishes would be a good option.

In the case of solid colors, they would be more economical.

It’s my opinion, on the other hand, that MCW is better for metallic colors.

The metallic particles are much more in scale with MCW paints than with Scale Finishes.

There is a trade off between these two brands.

MCW, better realism with metallics, Scale Finishes, more economical and more standardly available color options.

I’ve used both brands liberally, and personally have found no difference in quality or workability.

By the way, just so that everyone is aware, the actual product cost of a 1 oz jar of the paint in question from MCW is $7.50.

2 oz. from Scale Finishes is $9.99 for lacquer, $10.49 for enamel.

As with anything else, shipping costs can be mitigated by ordering more than a single unit.

I generally will order at least a half dozen or more colors per order.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Half that glow you see on the 56 pictured is lighting. It's not that exotic a color in real except maybe at sunset. To me it's a color where close enough would be close enough especially given it's not metallic.

I think that I have to agree that the example that the OP posted appears to lean much more towards the orange side than most examples that you see.

Normally the color seems to be much closer to a standard pastel pink.

image.jpeg.d62470e4b1b4ac65313977ef6cb3a0ec.jpeg

Although the orange seems to often come out a little more in the sun.

image.jpeg.630772b0e134920e81a5f1d7f9d1954a.jpeg

Steve

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think that I have to agree that the example that the OP posted appears to lean much more towards the orange side than most examples that you see.

Normally the color seems to be much closer to a standard pastel pink.

image.jpeg.d62470e4b1b4ac65313977ef6cb3a0ec.jpeg

Although the orange seems to often come out a little more in the sun.

image.jpeg.630772b0e134920e81a5f1d7f9d1954a.jpeg

Steve

Yes lighting really effects that color, in some images it's almost a peach tone. Great subject for a build though and good pick for a color too.

Thanks for all the input guys. I went to the MCW website and actually picked #1571 Coral sand lacquer. I think it was used on the 57 Tbirds. Personally I like it better than the original Sunset coral that I picked. I also ordered their primer and clear coat. The Tbird build is still a way out yet, I’m finishing up a 1913 Ford Model T right now, then moving on to Hellers 47 Renault 4CV before I start the Tbird. Thanks again for helping me with the color choice. 

93EE66E5-8EEB-48D1-9BB9-DAFAE5BC10CA.jpeg