Model Cars Magazine Forum

Media Blasting ?

I have been experimenting with a media blaster I picked up at Harbor Freight. I wanted something that would assist in paint removal on paint fails. My first attempt was using baking soda on a relatively thinner paint, Candy2o over a rattle can silver flake. What little I did seemed to work but needs more testing. I just blasted a new unpainted Revell 3W and it didn't seem to harm the body but left a satin looking finish and I thought this may be a better surface for paint to grip than the smooth out of the box surface with out all the light pre-paint sanding. 

Anybody ever give this a try ?

95793_I.jpg.cd593ed40643c836babbca70888e4b2e.jpg

Edited by Jon Haigwood

Man, that is some heavy artillery for a small styrene car body...

I mean I guess if you make sure to use the right material and keep the pressure/ distance/ and movement right it could work without texturing or blowing a hole through the body.

Seems not worth the effort/risk for me... but I'm interested to here your findings!

1 hour ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Man, that is some heavy artillery for a small styrene car body...

I mean I guess if you make sure to use the right material and keep the pressure/ distance/ and movement right it could work without texturing or blowing a hole through the body.

Seems not worth the effort/risk for me... but I'm interested to here your findings!

Just used baking baking soda at around 50 or less psi held 8" away. On the new body it mainly just took away the shine. On the painted body it took some of the paint off, down to the white primer, might be useful for a patina effect.

20221116_180954_HDR.jpg.4fe95f31be3d556d89f560e090e161a1.jpg20221116_181006.jpg.2dfade47dcb42b009cfe5380c7baf139.jpg 

Edited by Jon Haigwood

Thats

4 minutes ago, Jon Haigwood said:

Just used baking baking soda at around 50 or less psi held 8" away. On the new body it mainly just took away the shine. On the painted body it took some of the paint off, down to the white primer, might be useful for a patina effect.

That's kind of awsome not gonna lie! 😎