Model Cars Magazine Forum

1947 Chevy electric truck for sale.

• Scott8950 changed the title to 1947 Chevy electric truck for sale.

You know that, over the next few years, the quality of available gasoline will go right down the dumper...it's just part of the way you will be "encouraged" to go electric, whether you want to or not.

I bought an electric lawnmower this year.  The six-year-old gas one I had...no choke, no throttle adjustment, no adjusting anything.  If you turn the mower on the wrong side to dump the gas out for the winter, carb goes bad and needs to be replaced.  And the logical way to turn the mower (which would put the gas filler at the bottom) is of course the wrong way.

Meanwhile, this spring I finally got around to putting a new carb on a near 40 year old snowblower that I got for free, with the understanding that it needed a new carb.  I've had the thing about ten or twelve years, it took five or six before I bought the carb, and only got around to putting it on this spring.  This carb has a choke, has a throttle, and can be adjusted.  Bolted it on, hooked up a new fuel line linking it to the cleaned fuel tank.  Started on the second pull...would have started on the first if dummy had remembered to open the fuel petcock...

I've seen quite a few in the States, across Europe and here in the UK transformed by electric power. All have been superbly built and for us here in the UK it's going to be the future. Not yet as we haven't the infrastructure to generate enough electricity to support houses (Gas boilers/wood burners etc are gradually being outlawed) but we need far more nuclear power plants built. We have a lot of offshore wind farms but not enough to support the thought of all electric vehicles, now when the wind stops the lights will go out.

200hp more than stock, instant torque I don't see a problem there, especially since it's more of a cruiser than a working truck.

Wonder if "Fluffy" will be looking at one of these though, seems right up his alley and with over 290hp in this one too,  should run off from even his hot rodded buses too!

https://kindredmotorworks.com/models/kindred-vw-bus

Me thinks the worst complainers have never driven an electric vehicle. My cousin has loaned me one of his Teslas and it is a really cool ride.

For me, converting that pickup to electric is no different than dropping a  V8 in it.. only faster!  It’s still a modified, modernized street rod.. as technology marches onward!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Cue the anger in 3...2...1...

Nothin' like stirring the pot.

Too bad the folks so in favor of electrifying everything seem to be incapable of doing the math, and realizing the grid cannot support a massive shift to EVs...IN ITS CURRENT STATE.

And wind and solar ain't going to cut it for a LONG time, if ever.

No "anger". Just physical reality...which is continually denied by people who really should know better.

• Like 2

In the broadest view, I don't see this as much different than a resto-mod.  How many '55 Chevys came stock with a 572ci twin turbocharged flame thrower engine along with IRS, 4 wheel disc brakes and a Quadrophonic Blaupunkt?  ("Christ, you don't need a quadrophonic Blaupunkt! What you need is a curveball!") Not as bad as most and makes more sense than a lot.

Edited by The Junkman
  • Like 1

There will be more and more of these conversions. Companies are and will continue to develop and sell EV conversion kits. This brings more people into the "maybe EV isn't so bad group" When the government/world/whatever decides to REALLY force everyone to go EV it will be quick and painful. The tax/fee you will be required to pay to own and operate a gas powered vehicle will be ridiculous. Add to the that that cost of the fines for breaking the fuel law will force the majority straight to an EV vehicle. Of course, there will be a shortage of those vehicles when the time comes and the prices will be inflated when you go to purchase one. Gas will be the first to go. Diesel will linger on a bit longer as they try to figure out how to ship large quantity of goods without it. Once we all have our EV, there will be a shortage of electricity and those cost will increase exponentially (more than they are now) and the lower middle class and below will quickly be forced to start utilizing public transportation. Throughout this whole process a small percentage of people/corporations will be getting extremely more wealthy. The people who grew up with fossil fuels as the only choice is a dwindling minority. Before long EV will be what most of the kids were raised on and it will be considered the norm. Resistance is futile all will be forced to conform. I am glad that I am older and wont live to see most of it because I resist change like most people do. If this were a movie plot, which it kind of sounds like, the end of the first movie of the trilogy would be when there is a worldwide incident/attack that generates a giant EMP blast that fries everything electronic and the world comes to a standstill. Part two of the trilogy will look very similar to the original Mad Max movie. With all that said, I realize I am already converting to EV. I have a battery operated push mower, weed whacker and outboard motor for my kayak.

The truck is nicely done and a good early representation of what can be done. I can appreciate the concept, planning engineering and skill required to create something like this.

• Like 1

First off that's a cool looking truck.

Second I will let the gloom and doom group enjoy running around yelling about the end of the civilized world because of ev. My opinion would be focus on the hybrid concept. You get the benefits of gas and electric unfortunately I'm not in Control of that decision.

Me I gotten to the point in my life where I would rather put my energies into the things I enjoy doing rather than waste my time and energy on things I'm not going to change.

download (1).jpeg

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Too bad the folks so in favor of electrifying everything seem to be incapable of doing the math, and realizing the grid cannot support a massive shift to EVs...IN ITS CURRENT STATE.

No "anger". Just physical reality...which is continually denied by people who really should know better.

Well said.. For me there's nothing like the rumble of a v8 with a nice sounding camshaft in it. 

I don't want to turn this topic into a heated debate but I can think of many reasons the world is not ready for all electric cars. 

• Like 2

I think it's no different than when a piano replaced a harpsichord... the piano was viewed negatively just like the EV's...

I personally love me a big lumpy camshaft... but the sad reality is, it's not sustainable.

The real problem we have, is there's just as much push as there is pull from those who support it and those who detract.

Bill is correct when he says the infrastructure isn't currently there to support it... that is 100% true. Anyone who is realistic knows there's a real environmental need to get away from fossil fuels... its obvious at this point. Maybe electric is the way, maybe it's not? I don't know. 

Without getting too political... I'd say people need to take notice of the folks putting up every roadblock possible to progress in the area of infrastructure. It's only going to make the inevitable transition that much more painful.

I find it amazing and ironic that no one notices or talks about the fact that when the folks who support the fossil fuel industry are in power, we pay less for fuel and the companies make far less money... and we pay more and they make the most money when the people who "oppose" them are in power.

Ironic isn't it?

Change happens wether we like it or not... so we may as well "lube" the progress to make it easier on us all.

• Like 1

The one thing about the electric stuff that nobody is talking about is the price to replace the batteries.  These batteries are good for about 5 years.  At that time you have to decide if you want to replace the batteries ($10,000 +) or sell the car.  Who would want to buy it knowing they have to put that kind of money back in it to keep it running.  

6 minutes ago, Zippi said:

The one thing about the electric stuff that nobody is talking about is the price to replace the batteries.  These batteries are good for about 5 years.  At that time you have to decide if you want to replace the batteries ($10,000 +) or sell the car.  Who would want to buy it knowing they have to put that kind of money back in it to keep it running.  

Or the fact that we have a relatively limited supply of lithium on earth that is now being depleted faster than ever since every battery powered device seems to use it.

I'm not sure where they are in the RnD but there was work being done on these https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_radical_battery

Pretty darn cool if you ask me... and far more sustainable than rare earth materials.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xingu said:

There will be more and more of these conversions. Companies are and will continue to develop and sell EV conversion kits. This brings more people into the "maybe EV isn't so bad group" When the government/world/whatever decides to REALLY force everyone to go EV it will be quick and painful. The tax/fee you will be required to pay to own and operate a gas powered vehicle will be ridiculous. Add to the that that cost of the fines for breaking the fuel law will force the majority straight to an EV vehicle. Of course, there will be a shortage of those vehicles when the time comes and the prices will be inflated when you go to purchase one. Gas will be the first to go. Diesel will linger on a bit longer as they try to figure out how to ship large quantity of goods without it. Once we all have our EV, there will be a shortage of electricity and those cost will increase exponentially (more than they are now) and the lower middle class and below will quickly be forced to start utilizing public transportation. Throughout this whole process a small percentage of people/corporations will be getting extremely more wealthy. The people who grew up with fossil fuels as the only choice is a dwindling minority. Before long EV will be what most of the kids were raised on and it will be considered the norm. Resistance is futile all will be forced to conform. I am glad that I am older and wont live to see most of it because I resist change like most people do. If this were a movie plot, which it kind of sounds like, the end of the first movie of the trilogy would be when there is a worldwide incident/attack that generates a giant EMP blast that fries everything electronic and the world comes to a standstill. Part two of the trilogy will look very similar to the original Mad Max movie. With all that said, I realize I am already converting to EV. I have a battery operated push mower, weed whacker and outboard motor for my kayak.

The truck is nicely done and a good early representation of what can be done. I can appreciate the concept, planning engineering and skill required to create something like this.

I'm waiting for the hover conversion technology. Using Mr.Fusion.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

stubborn-impossible.gif.36ee1c61b1cafa8a90be92bd1ba0bc0a.gif

Nikola Tesla... (not to be mistaken with the EV vehicle company, or its wanna be Bond villain owner) basically gave us the modern world as we know it...

I also believe he gave us several ideas on how to sustain it....

But alot of his documents were siezed by the FBI after he passed away... wich they have admitted to and supposedly released it all... but I suspect they have held on to several things.

Consumer technology is usually doled out in small increments in order to maximize profits. Just look at the iPhone and its ever so slight "improvments" from model to model... 

If you release the "end all be all" it doesn't bode to well for financial longevity.

How many things are now standard equipment on even base vehicles that we used to pay a premium for? 🤔 power windows/locks being two.

But just remember, it's not some secretive group that harbors these things... its us as a society. If your neighbor works in that field he'd like to keep getting paid... and if you did, so would you... so.

We are our own worst enemies folks. Just control what you can and move along because rest assured the world will keep progressing in spite of you/us.

5 hours ago, Zippi said:

The one thing about the electric stuff that nobody is talking about is the price to replace the batteries.  

Or what might happen in a wreck with those batteries!! 

Look at how many jobs will be lost, how many shops that will shut down.

The ripple effect would be massive for lost jobs, far greater than the jobs created. 

Edited by Scott8950

51 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

Look at how many jobs will be lost, how many shops that will shut down.

The ripple effect would be massive for lost jobs, far greater than the jobs created. 

EV will need just as many repairs as anything on the road today. Shops will just need a new skill set and certifications to work on them.

I’m in 100% agreement with Ace and superdan. Diesel fuel supply is about to be shut down soon. What then? Snowplows, Amtrack, Fire engines, Buses and other essential vehicles won’t be able to do their job. You’re screwed. 
EV is not for everybody and these green nuts needs to get their head out of their…. well, you fill in the blank and think realistically and logically. Apparently they don’t or don’t want to.  All this is going to blow up in their face. Sooner or later they’ll be protesting the environment is being polluted by dead EV batteries in landfills. So who’s the blame here? 

Look… I get it. Some folks like EV. I don’t nor ever will own one. I am 100% in support on HYBRID vehicles. This is a better win win for everybody. It’s bad enough new houses are banned from installing gas lines for heat or appliances. Even gas appliances are being banned. I’ve used electric stoves before and I can tell you I absolutely hate them with a passion. Electric heat is very expensive when adding operating cost on top of it all with electric stoves and dryers usage. 

What’s next? Electric airplanes? Yeah…. Imagine running out of juice at mid-flight and the plane has no place to go but down nose first or belly land on water or land (God forbid if you can find an open field to land on not over a city or town) because you can’t lower the landing gears due no electric power. 

I’d rather hear a rumble or growl on a muscle car/hot rod/street machine than a quiet EV car. Classic cars are meant to be heard not be silenced.

Scott8950…. that’s the scariest problem. Nobody really knows what puts out a massive EV lithium battery fire. I can guarantee folks will die from serious burns in EV car crashes and massive lawsuits will follow. I fear for my son’s future and generations going forward.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xingu said:

EV will need just as many repairs as anything on the road today. Shops will just need a new skill set and certifications to work on them.

Expensive repairs. Very expensive repairs than gas powered vehicles. Those repairs will exceed the value what you paid for your EV. 

Edited by BlackSheep214
  • Like 1