Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2/ AMT '55 Chevy Nomad Wagon Kit Coming in 2023

stavanzer

4 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Nothing 'Sick' or 'Wrong' about it to me, Snake!

Genuine Survivor, and I like the stance.

Thanks!

What's "sick and wrong" about it is, the Nomad and regular station wagons are completely different in the whole rear end. Also, the Nomad is a hardtop, and I made no provision for door/window frames. I didn't realize all this when I was 14. ;)

Hey Snake. That looks great. Nomad wheel wells look so much better than usual SD or wagons. The usual hogged out coupe/2d rears not pretty either. Rear panel and door trim looks great. Longer door better too, proportioned. I’d never get to it, but I’d build one like that. 

RM unlikely to do 57, so @Steve G perhaps a 57 Craftsman? The ancient now Atlantis tool just isn’t buildable imo.  

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Steve G., Will the stock tires have Wide Whites?

And, Thanks for cleaning up the Chrome trees!

Stock tires are wide whites on the one side, narrow whites on the other.  Slicks are pad printed Goodyear Blue Streaks.  We've also added some clear sheet stock to make front side and or vent window glass as desired. 

-Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I think it looks pretty good, Snake.  Back then, if you didn't have access to a brochure, how would you know better unless a real one "lived" in your area.  I did a '69 Grand Prix and painted it all black.  The paint job came out poorly for my 14 yo standards and ended up being sold at a model car show. 

It’s almost like we have real builders driving the bus at R2. 🤣👍🏼

Car side, Sci Fi side both. Green Hornet. Never in a billion years did I expect this to happen. Surprised me more than Coronet convert, and that was pretty much a “coupe at best”. Took me ages to find 68-69 converts that were decent. 
Thanks. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, Mr mopar said:
1 hour ago, keyser said:

It’s almost like we have real builders driving the bus at R2. 🤣👍🏼

Car side, Sci Fi side both. Green Hornet. Never in a billion years did I expect this to happen. Surprised me more than Coronet convert, and that was pretty much a “coupe at best”. Took me ages to find 68-69 converts that were decent. 
Thanks. 

316102920_507703618056078_555207993595327149_n.jpg

315882691_507703524722754_1480554823509166437_n.jpg

This is my actual test build using the new Chrome parts on a leftover AMT637 55 Nomad kit.  It's like having builders driving things because we are builders. 

-Steve

• Like 8

5 hours ago, SteveG said:

Stock tires are wide whites on the one side, narrow whites on the other.  Slicks are pad printed Goodyear Blue Streaks.  We've also added some clear sheet stock to make front side and or vent window glass as desired. 

-Steve

Awesome News! This kit is now complete!

Thank You!

On 11/20/2022 at 9:57 AM, SteveG said:

There are now three sets of headlamp housings, one with the eyebrow, one without and a Lucas style housing.  The Nomad chrome tree had been altered several times, the latest attempt was so it could share parts with the Bel Air kit and was barely useable when AMT637 version was run in 2009.  We even re-grouped all the part and added number tags for easier assembly.  

-Steve

If it's not too late, please try to correct the shape of the front turn signals. The early issues had correctly shaped "half moon" bezels, as on the box art, but when they were retooled for the sedan kits, they became "fat lemon" shapes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jokar124 said:

If it's not too late, please try to correct the shape of the front turn signals. The early issues had correctly shaped "half moon" bezels, as on the box art, but when they were retooled for the sedan kits, they became "fat lemon" shapes.

AND will the taillight bezels now fit the cutouts in the body? They never have before, on either the Nomad or the Bel Air bodies. 

2 hours ago, jokar124 said:

The early issue bezels also had separate lenses on the clear parts tree. Would be nice...

• Like 1

Rear wheel openings should be trimmed to fit the slicks, cut lines are provided on the inside of the body.  To keep the stock wheel openings, you'd have to use smaller slicks or rework the wheels, inner wheel wells, and possibly the chassis to move the slicks in.

• Like 2

Has anyone else ever noticed that a few small changes were made to the Nomad kit between the first and second issues?

The pickup roof in the first issue is different, though it may have been altered for the second issue rather than replaced.  The first issue pickup roof replaces the entire wagon roof except for the vent window frames, and is smooth on top.  All issues since require cutting the stock wagon roof about halfway over the doors, following a crease in the headliner on the underside of the roof.  

Too, the fuel injection intake tubes were lengthened.  Looking at a couple of first issue kit hoods, they don't have the cut lines molded into the underside.  So the first issue kit parts weren't as tall as they are now.  

That's in addition to those nice gasser front tires disappearing after the first issue.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Has anyone else ever noticed that a few small changes were made to the Nomad kit between the first and second issues?

The pickup roof in the first issue is different, though it may have been altered for the second issue rather than replaced.  The first issue pickup roof replaces the entire wagon roof except for the vent window frames, and is smooth on top.  All issues since require cutting the stock wagon roof about halfway over the doors, following a crease in the headliner on the underside of the roof.  

20221123_134116.jpg

• Thanks 1

That original roof, when installed the way it's designed to be, leaves the area over the windshield with an unfinished look.  I don't know why they didn't just cut the roof at the tail end of the B-pillars, and include a larger window that went all the way across.  The 1:1 converted Nomads and Safaris that I have seen (only a couple) used rear glass from either an early Comet or four-seater Thunderbird as I recall.

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Too, the fuel injection intake tubes were lengthened. 

And too much IMHO. I've only ever seen one set of (real) SBC injector tubes that were that long; the vast majority are much shorter, an iconic injected SBC look. The kit tubes can be cut in half and the leftover set could be used on an FI manifold in the Double Dragster kit, which doesn't have any at all. 

The short stacks on a small-block Chevy seem right...anything I ever read about that type of fuel injection suggests that longer tubes result in more torque while the short ones enable the engine to rev, which was what the Chevy could do.  A lot of those old gassers with small-block Chevy engines used the formula of a high-revving engine coupled to a heavy flywheel to get the car moving.  The lower class cars that lugged more weight down the track were probably more prone to be parts throwers.  But the formula seemed to work, based on how often it was tried...

• Like 1