Model Cars Magazine Forum

Front drive axles/transfer cases for big rigs

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Texas 3d Customs does a Rockwell T138 transfer case that's very nice and might be doing a front axle as well. 

https://tx3dcustoms.com/products/rockwell-t138-transfer-case

Perfect! Also, even if they don't do a front axle, I was planning on swiping a 5-ton axle from a USA-1 kit.

2 hours ago, Warren D said:

KFS makes one in 1/24 but it's too wide for 1/25....ask me how I know....

Former AITM now Keystone has a 1/25 scale one that fits better.  They also should have a transfer case for it.

Well, thanks for saving me money on it.

I know AITM is now part of Keystone, but Keystone's website looks like it's under construction...that is, unless I got the wrong website. Still, it might be worth looking into.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

You mean that Rockwell T138 5-ton case? That's perfect because I was looking for a heavy-duty transfer case for a monster truck I'm doing.

That's exactly why I asked Scott to do it, there wasn't a good early transfer out there.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

That's exactly why I asked Scott to do it, there wasn't a good early transfer out there.

So it was your initiative that brought that about? BRAVO! I already had a transfer case because I bought some USA-1 parts from eBay, but the USA-1 transfer case looked too wimpy for what I needed, so thanks!

3 minutes ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

So it was your initiative that brought that about? BRAVO! I already had a transfer case because I bought some USA-1 parts from eBay, but the USA-1 transfer case looked too wimpy for what I needed, so thanks!

Yep, I figured it could pull double for early monster trucks and heavy equipment. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: So, I ordered a pack of 1:25 scale 5-ton cases on January 6. They came in this past Saturday, and I gotta say, I'm impressed by the quality of these! They DEFINITELY look heavy-duty enough for the monster I've got in mind!

Just one question: I know that for resin parts, you have to soak them in warm, soapy water to clean off mold release agents, but would the same go for 3D-printed parts? I wouldn't think so, but I'm asking just in case.

2 hours ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

UPDATE: So, I ordered a pack of 1:25 scale 5-ton cases on January 6. They came in this past Saturday, and I gotta say, I'm impressed by the quality of these! They DEFINITELY look heavy-duty enough for the monster I've got in mind!

Just one question: I know that for resin parts, you have to soak them in warm, soapy water to clean off mold release agents, but would the same go for 3D-printed parts? I wouldn't think so, but I'm asking just in case.

They should be ready for primer, they don't have mold release on them since there's no mold. If you ever get printed parts that are a bit sticky soak them in 91% alcohol. 

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

All 3D printed parts have to be washed before they are cured. So, by the time you get them, they have been fully washed and ready to prime and paint. 

If you need heavy axles, let me know. I think Texas 3D has the files, if not I can get them to him. 

Interesting; I never knew that. Then again, I'm still new to 3D printing for model parts, so yeah.

As for the axles...well, I already have some 5-ton axles that I swiped from a USA-1 kit, but if you have any plans to do Rockwell PS250 or Clark 20-ton planetary hubs, I'm still interested.

41 minutes ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

Interesting; I never knew that. Then again, I'm still new to 3D printing for model parts, so yeah.

As for the axles...well, I already have some 5-ton axles that I swiped from a USA-1 kit, but if you have any plans to do Rockwell PS250 or Clark 20-ton planetary hubs, I'm still interested.

They are on my list, but demand determines where they fall on that list. If there is some demand,  I will move them up the list. 

17 hours ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

The easiest way to get a planetary style hub for the AMT monster truck wheels would be to make an insert for the USA-1 wheels that replaces the stock chrome part. I hate that when they made the Monster Jam kits they made that part so out of scale.

3 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The easiest way to get a planetary style hub for the AMT monster truck wheels would be to make an insert for the USA-1 wheels that replaces the stock chrome part. I hate that when they made the Monster Jam kits they made that part so out of scale.

Well, that saves me the money that I would've otherwise used to rip them off. Problem is, I wouldn't exactly know where to start in making my own planetary hubs.

2 hours ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

Well, that saves me the money that I would've otherwise used to rip them off. Problem is, I wouldn't exactly know where to start in making my own planetary hubs.

Let me take some measurements and see if I can come up with something. 

10 hours ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

Ok, the best planetary hubs in a kit are from the Lindberg Raminator. They're excellent for monster trucks or heavy equipment. The chrome inserts for the USA-1 wheels are 19.2mm or so in diameter. If you get the Raminator kit you could make insert discs from Evergreen and add the planetary ends and lug nuts or cut the end of a rim out and use the kit lug nuts. The axles in the kit also have good Rockwell steering knuckles. 

20230119_035006.jpg.7f37ad6b8a69b9aad97302161b8b84af.jpg20230119_035045.jpg.8192f6f8b8c7f48ee2917036f6c3d0e3.jpg