Model Cars Magazine Forum

’72 Dodge Demon Drag Racer 1/25 scale

Hello Everyone!

The time has come to start a new project, cold weather and the first snow covered the ground here in the province of Quebec, so nothing better than a little good time making models to get through these cold days.

I must say that I had a hard time deciding on my next project simply because I had 3 or 4 subjects that really interested me to build and I thought for a long time about the pros and cons.  As we often say, too much choices but not enough time to make them…

My next subject will be a 1972 Dodge Demon drag racer, YES, another Mopar... did I mention I'm a Mopar fan? 😁

I must mention that didn't put "Pro Stock" in the title simply because I want to keep some freedom to do things my way and there are too many details to respect to recreate a correct historical car of this class.  Also, it's very hard to find good close-up photos of many of the critical details of these cars and I'd be quite happy not to take another 4 years to build this one even if I don't give myself a date to complete it.  Note that I have several sheets of Slixx decals of well-known Pro-Stock cars from that era, so the project could go that direction if I change my mind, we'll see.

Before I started, I bought and read an excellent book called "Chrysler's Motown Missile" and I was very impressed with the quality of this publication and the incredible dedication, determination, ingenuity and of all the challenges they faced during the years their cars were campaigning, never giving up was obviously part of their philosophy!!!
That being said, the team, with the exception of Don Carlton himself, never used the ’72 Demon body, so my current choice would not be correct for a tribute car of the "Missiles" team but rather a good match for the "Billy the Kid" car… 🤔

I have in my stash the ’73 Duster, ’71 Challenger, ’72 Barracuda or ’74 Dart kits for a more accurate build but I really want to build a Demon and preferably a 1972 because it has never been done in kit form and the challenge of trying to make the front grill is irresistible, not to mention I really like that A-body. 😍
I have a new sealed MPC '71 Demon kit and a good old built kit that I bought about 20 years ago, so I'm going to start with the latter since the damaged areas on the body shell are exactly the parts I want to try to improve on the original kit.  The taillights on the MPC kit are not well represented in my opinion and can be improved, this very damaged area on the body will be a good opportunity for me to try the exercise without much guilt.  I'm also going to use the recent ’71 Duster as a donor for some of the body parts, the trunk panel obviously and some of the more modern and detailed components of it.

I must confess that I had a good and constructive discussion with one of the masters on this forum regarding the new kit I have and despite my choice I really think he’s absolutely right and the new kit should be build instead of sitting on my shelf.
I feel like I have to try to save this rare body and I will have a good "plan B" if something goes wrong with this used body that would be sleeping in a box if I didn't use it.  Anyway, only the body shell would have been used for this build so it would be a waste in my opinion.  The sealed kit will keep its value and I could probably sell it at the end because I don't think I will build it anyway, I have way too many ideas for other subjects.

Tim (Codi), I hope you'll forgive me someday but rest assured that your way of seeing things has still made its way into my head!

The first part of this WIP thread will be primarily devoted to body modifications and I will incorporate aluminum and brass structural and mechanical components later in the build.

I hope you're not in too much of a hurry because this is going to be a slow moving build, I don't know if I'll post as many updates or pictures as I did for my ’64 D100 pickup but I'll try to show the basic, especially if I find any new tricks to share with you.  Unlike my D100 pickup, I don't have to create the body from scratch so I'll have more time to work on some of the details for this project and I have some new construction ideas to put to use.

Note: I started working on the project a few days ago, so I'll post some pictures of my first surgeries soon.

It starts today… the thread, I mean…  but I hope you'll be along for the ride!

I'll be back soon, Francis

First pics: The donor in all his splendor before going to the scalpel... or the Dremel!!_Glue_Bomb_Body_LR.JPG.1d9867eba8ebf08aaec2321c4146d033.JPG

All this part of the body will be modified, including trunk which will open of course.2_Glue_Bomb_Body_LR.JPG.64a937c538c169318c8a6d5e9cf361eb.JPG

The rest of the body shell is very nice and the front wheel openings will be adjusted to look more like the real car.3_Glue_Bomb_Body_LR.JPG.28320560e47b95f19f7971772b23932b.JPG

• Like 3

Hey Francis, I’ll be following! I’ve been thinking  my next project was to be a 71-72 Demon Pro Stock, I have an original built up with hacked up rear wheel openings. I’m not satisfied with the front grille, the tail light panel at the very least need’s thinning, and the front wheel openings are incorrect.  I’ll be anxious to see how you tackle these issues and I hope you don’t mind if I steal some of your ideas.

I figured you would get busy again once the snow begins to fly Francis.  I like your approach of not attempting to replicate any particular car, and instead incorporating your own originality.  I especially look forward to seeing what you do with the metal parts and assemblies.  You know, I’m a metal (or more recently wood) guy, so I’m excited to see what you come up with. 
I’m looking forward to it!

TCOTT

15 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Hey Francis, I’ll be following! I’ve been thinking  my next project was to be a 71-72 Demon Pro Stock, I have an original built up with hacked up rear wheel openings. I’m not satisfied with the front grille, the tail light panel at the very least need’s thinning, and the front wheel openings are incorrect.  I’ll be anxious to see how you tackle these issues and I hope you don’t mind if I steal some of your ideas.

Thanks Roger !

I hope you save yours too, these are rare and very expensive kits (there is one currently on auction on eBay and the current price is crazy...).

I am very motivated to improve the rear (tail lights) and the shape of the front wheel openings as well.  I have a good idea to recreate the front grill, so stay tuned!

Everything I do on this thread is offered for free and you can "steal" anything you want, it will honor me! 😊

Francis

2 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

I figured you would get busy again once the snow begins to fly Francis.  I like your approach of not attempting to replicate any particular car, and instead incorporating your own originality.  I especially look forward to seeing what you do with the metal parts and assemblies.  You know, I’m a metal (or more recently wood) guy, so I’m excited to see what you come up with. 
I’m looking forward to it!

TCOTT

Hi Tim, thanks for visiting my friend!

I don't remember the last time I finished a model in a year, so this one will be no exception...🙄

As for as incorporating my own originality, I must say that my "Body Coddington" side is very well hidden😂 unlike yours so it will be limited to the mechanical or structural aspect.

I hope not to disappoint you, as your continued support is very important and always appreciated !

Francis

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Cool.  Will be watching another masterpiece come together. Like you're using a non pristine body.

Thanks Bob, if you enjoyed the D100 build, I hope to entertain you with this one as I intend to put a lot of love into bringing this dying body back to life.

Except for the rear part, the rest of the body is in very good shape but that won't stop me from trying to modify the aspects of it that can be improved (without pretension)!

I know you like the machining part of the build but that's coming a little later because I'm going to concentrate on body work for the moment, no body shell no car unfortunately...

It starts soon,

Francis

7 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hi Tim, thanks for visiting my friend!

I don't remember the last time I finished a model in a year, so this one will be no exception...🙄

As for as incorporating my own originality, I must say that my "Body Coddington" side is very well hidden😂 unlike yours so it will be limited to the mechanical or structural aspect.

I hope not to disappoint you, as your continued support is very important and always appreciated !

Francis

Disappoint me??? Heck, I’m excited!!!  Originality comes in a lot of forms, not just body work. Your machine work is true art in the purest sense, and I can’t wait to marvel (drool) over whatever you come up with next!

Build on my friend. I wouldn’t miss it.

TCOTT 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Disappoint me??? Heck, I’m excited!!!  Originality comes in a lot of forms, not just body work. Your machine work is true art in the purest sense, and I can’t wait to marvel (drool) over whatever you come up with next!

Build on my friend. I wouldn’t miss it.

TCOTT 

OK Tim, here are the first stammerings of this build... no brass yet... 😢

Hello everyone,

The first surgery on the body is to replace (and improve...) the damaged rear panel.  I thought about making it out of thin aluminum or brass but the center fold combined with the multi-directional curves of it won't allow me to do that.  I don't have the expertise of some of my colleagues to make brass panels yet, so it will be with good old Styrene.  I did some testing for the tail light openings and my final piece is I think more like the real car with slightly larger lights and thinner separation strips between them.

Anyway, pictures are worth a thousand words so judge for yourself but I am quite satisfied with this first effort.  Next, I will make the lens out of red and clear acrylic, the Styrene version was made only to test the fitment and confirm my measurements.

As usual, your comments are welcome and appreciated !

Francis

Styrene back panel outside view.4_Back_Panel_Progress_1.JPG.0c8ab570c0793424a6c72e846020660c.JPG

Styrene back panel inside view.5_Back_Panel_Progress_2.JPG.fe3e45a0f6041d4b33f6f5a75b9e462f.JPG

First test for the size and spacing of the rear lights.6_Taillights_Engraving_Test_1.JPG.37218251b00fab21206a70f6f6a156f3.JPG

Not bad but I will enlarge the lenses and reduce the space between them, the styrene is rigid enough to handle this.7_Taillights_Engraving_Test_2.JPG.866e4ce20b487f0f4d6b49ab3fcd9c89.JPG

Engraving on the final part.8_Taillights_Engraving_Final_1.JPG.6af1a816b73b4954a7ba4daabba1b3ef.JPG

I like it, what do you think ?9_Taillights_Engraving_Final_2.JPG.85ca709bd1130bdec8c0c61f48c3dda5.JPG

Test piece for the lenses, this will be replaced by red and transparent acrylic.10_Taillights_Machining_Test_1.JPG.88366fe9b00ba9aed78a614f742e874f.JPG

The adjustment is conclusive, so it's time to move on... including grafting the panel to the body shell. 😁11_Taillights_Machining_Test_Fit.JPG.5be695e4b21b962a45c5f1f961b979a9.JPG

• Like 8