Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12th Scale 69 Camaro Top Sportsman Suspension and chassis jig.

Ian McLaren

This was the initial plan, kind of a Super Gas / Super Comp car using around a 32x16x15 rear tire, 4 link and strut front end. That would require somewhere in the 1000hp range (easily doable with a 632 inch single four barrel engine) but --- The ex-racer in me has pointed out there is a tunnel ram sitting on the shelf in a box behind me and the plan already has quite a bit of tire. So ------ Add a bottle or two and a few nozzles, and the frame isn't really started, adding some extra bars isn't a huge deal.  Here we go again!

IMG_0060.JPG

• Like 6

Not really happy with the scoop sitting on the cowl hood, so I'm building a flat one to mount the scoop on. rear of the hood is positioned and held down with rare earth magnets. The two rear indents on the stock hood were not included as the grills and wiper holes are to be eliminated on the cowl itself for a smoother look.

IMG_0003[1].JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren
  • Like 3

While I'm waiting for chassis pieces, I was doing some research and discovered some reference material that has changed the direction and difficulty of this project. Externally not much change but mechanically and detail wise quite a lot.   The title is changing from Competition Eliminator to Top Sportsman  The focus will be much more on the construction and details of the real car and less on the finished model itself. I fully expect this to be my most challenging model to date and I am really excited about it. The original plans were for a single carb, naturally aspirated drive line, the Top Sportsman drive train is a much different beast and that will create changes to almost every area of the vehicle.  Case in point my scratch build version of a Wilsom fabricated intake manifold

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

• Like 6

• Ian McLaren changed the title to 1/12th Scale 69 Camaro Top Sportsman
1 hour ago, Ian McLaren said:

While I'm waiting for chassis pieces, I was doing some research and discovered some reference material that has changed the direction and difficulty of this project. Externally not much change but mechanically and detail wise quite a lot.   The title is changing from Competition Eliminator to Top Sportsman  The focus will be much more on the construction and details of the real car and less on the finished model itself. I fully expect this to be my most challenging model to date and I am really excited about it. The original plans were for a single carb, naturally aspirated drive line, the Top Sportsman drive train is a much different beast and that will create changes to almost every area of the vehicle.  Case in point my scratch build version of a Wilsom fabricated intake manifold

IMG_0036.JPG

That's some fine brass work, Ian. Nicely done!

• Ian McLaren changed the title to 1/12th Scale 69 Camaro Top Sportsman Chassis Started

Finally got the part in I ordered over a month ago which finally allowed we the calculate the positions of several major items.  Starting with a basic plan but will make changes as I go along to incorporate Tim McAmis's  building style where I can.  As of today the chassis is under construction.  Front section of the chassis is built, square and level as the is the foundation. Main hoop is attached, four link / rear section support bar is in, as are the front four link bracket support bars and the primary drive shaft loop (first McAmis feature). Upper halo bar is bent to shape and attachment points to the main hoop are installed (these are pinned connections to ease construction as well as to add additional structural strength. All comments are welcome.

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0010 (4).JPG

IMG_0002 (2).JPG

IMG_0012[1].JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren
poor photos
  • Like 4

• Ian McLaren changed the title to 1/12th Scale 69 Camaro Top Sportsman Suspension and chassis jig.