Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12th Scale 69 Camaro Top Sportsman Suspension and chassis jig.

Ian McLaren

• Ian McLaren changed the title to 1/12th Scale 69 Camaro Top Sportsman Steering rack and column
13 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Thank you Francis, According the the National Harassment Runaround Association the floor has to be .024" steel welded in on the drivers side only (rivets are out).  Mine is steel, but only .008" but I'm not seeing anyone checking that in the future LOL.  I've been playing around with different effects to simulate the welds but haven't found anything I'm happy with so far.  It's getting painted with the chassis color so I may be over thinking it. Loving your Demon project!

Ian, I knew a guy who "hard-faced" the blade on an AMT bulldozer. He used a brush to apply beads of paint, to simulate weld beads. They were amazing! You can see some of it on the blade arm, here. Sorry I don't have a better picture. That might be worth a try. I made welds for my Supermodified's injection manifold by rolling the knurled end of a cap screw over .010" plastic rod. That worked out, pretty well.

Dave Dozer.jpeg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Thank you Francis, According the the National Harassment Runaround Association the floor has to be .024" steel welded in on the drivers side only (rivets are out).  Mine is steel, but only .008" but I'm not seeing anyone checking that in the future LOL.  I've been playing around with different effects to simulate the welds but haven't found anything I'm happy with so far.  It's getting painted with the chassis color so I may be over thinking it. Loving your Demon project!

I really like it !!! 😂

Thanks for your explanation for the floor and I'm sure your solution to fixing it in place will be the right one!

• Ian McLaren changed the title to 1/12th Scale 69 Camaro Top Sportsman Driver Controls

Today was about adding some additional bars to the chassis, rear transmission cross member for one, and working on the interior, as well as trying to fit a stock style dash housing instead of the typical box style race piece usually found in this class of car.

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren
  • Like 4

Looks like it's time to start the body work on this deal. Wheels and tires fit side to side but they need bigger wheel openings. I'm going to lengthen the wheel base slightly for two reasons, I don't want to mess with the louvers and structural integrity of the body as the front end doors and deck lid are all being made removable, oh and it's less work this way.

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

• Like 3

• Ian McLaren changed the title to 1/12th Scale 69 Camaro Top Sportsman Suspension and chassis jig.
4 hours ago, Rigor said:

I like it looks bad axx I would like to ask where did you get the rear wheels and tires

Dwayne, Thank you, the wheels and tires were custom made for this car by a gentleman by the name of Jeff Faris. and are not commercially available.  He and I have  done a few projects together, I think he indulges me as I usually have something a little different in mind and he enjoys the challenge.  He is a very talented machinist.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rigor said:

I like it looks bad axx I would like to ask where did you get the rear wheels and tires

Ian's full on custom wheels are awesome. For something similar that's commercially available, and you may already know bout these, pardon me if so, but I ordered wheels for my Nitro Nova project car from Dancing Bear Scaled Components.

$90 for the set of 4. 

https://www.dancingbearscaledcomponents.com/model-wheels

321338058_715515360090114_9073793780989174460_n.jpg.f5c414dd207f53f7d112877da7d754b3.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TerryH said:

Ian's full on custom wheels are awesome. For something similar that's commercially available, and you may already know bout these, pardon me if so, but I ordered wheels for my Nitro Nova project car from Dancing Bear Scaled Components.

$90 for the set of 4. 

https://www.dancingbearscaledcomponents.com/model-wheels

321338058_715515360090114_9073793780989174460_n.jpg.f5c414dd207f53f7d112877da7d754b3.jpg

Yes those look great but, they don't appear to be polished, but the black is cool. Also I have not seen the wheel Jeff did modeled to this point ( I may be wrong on that).  I finally got a good photo of the wheels, the center is the axle end, there is no centering ring just like the full size wheels. Also these wheels have separate individual RB Motion bead lock bolts ( not installed yet on both front and rear faces..

IMG_0314.JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Very good progress Ian, the rear suspension is always a good challenge but it's always spectacular when done right.

I'm not worried about that, you've already shown us what you can do! 😉

Thank you Francis, waiting for rod ends from RB Motion to be able to move forward and I hope I can do justice to both the front and rear assemblies