Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12th Scale 69 Camaro Top Sportsman Suspension and chassis jig.

Ian McLaren

A little more progress today.  The glide is sitting in the chassis supported by the mounts and the blank is in the dash replacing the stock instrument cluster. Now just waiting for the Racepak display unit to be printed, installed and wired.

IMG_0456.JPG

• Like 4

On 3/10/2023 at 10:42 PM, Tortuga Kustomz said:

I think that's why i can't work at this scale, they detail work can really be DETAIL 😁 i can not imagen my selft work making details like this one, love it Ian, just love it

Marcos,  I have been watching you work for quite a while now, and you my friend would have no problem in a larger scale project with your scratch building skills.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

The gas pump is beautiful Ian, I like the way you made it, it shows that there is more than one way to achieve our goal, hard to do better! 👍

Thank you so much Francis, it was a fun project but time and technology marches on. On my next project I'm hoping to dust off my drafting training and at the same time step up to 3D printing to add details that are more accurate. As I don't have the finances nor the skills to step into the world of machining my own parts I'll leave that to you, Tim , Charlie,and Paul  and the other master machinists on this forum.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:01 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Thank you so much Francis, it was a fun project but time and technology marches on. On my next project I'm hoping to dust off my drafting training and at the same time step up to 3D printing to add details that are more accurate. As I don't have the finances nor the skills to step into the world of machining my own parts I'll leave that to you, Tim , Charlie,and Paul  and the other master machinists on this forum.

Whatever path you take, the goal is to find satisfaction in it and making your own custom parts is very rewarding, 3D is just another way to keep the hobby going and that's a good thing!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Butter 1 said:

Nice work so far. I have been following and enjoying this thread for quite a while. I am not really a drag car fan but I love to see excellent detail work where ever it shows up.

Thanks Ron for your interest in this madness, it seems one thing just keeps leading to another and it looks like I have a ways to go yet. Your pickup is really starting to take shape, and yes I did borrow your control arm technique on the four link as RB Motion is still behind on their orders.  I can wait for most of my order from them but the arms were starting to interfere with the overall progress.l I need to finish off cleaning up the ends and fine tune the lengths  to get the pinion angle correct but it looks Ok in the mock up phase.

20 hours ago, sflam123 said:

Just amazing Ian!  Amazing craftsmanship and pure art.  

Thank you Stephan for the kind words, it's  comments like this that push me to stretch my limits to get the best result I can on each part. Hopefully the end product will reflect that.

12 minutes ago, Ian McLaren said:

Thanks Ron for your interest in this madness, it seems one thing just keeps leading to another and it looks like I have a ways to go yet. Your pickup is really starting to take shape, and yes I did borrow your control arm technique on the four link as RB Motion is still behind on their orders.  I can wait for most of my order from them but the arms were starting to interfere with the overall progress.l I need to finish off cleaning up the ends and fine tune the lengths  to get the pinion angle correct but it looks Ok in the mock up phase.

I am anxious to see how your control arms turned out.

3 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Thank you Stephan for the kind words, it's  comments like this that push me to stretch my limits to get the best result I can on each part. Hopefully the end product will reflect that.

Ian, after seeing some of your other work, I have absolutely no doubt you will end up with a final product that reflects your efforts.  Your skills are amazing and I really enjoy your WIP posts and the final results!!

Torsion bar in. links made and rough cut to length. Next is to mount the shocks and set ride height to allow cutting the links to their final length. Finish up the four bars and the wishbone has already been fitted earlier in the build. Just about ready to assemble and test the rear suspension as a compeleted assembly before detailing and final refinishing