Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old School 40 Ford

redscampi

Ok, I'm going to post this as a bit of a motivator. Not strictly a build thread, but I got this car in a built state in a large box of other models around 2008-2009. It had parts falling off and was thick with grime from sitting out, and there were many more interesting things to play with so I put it in it's box and promptly forgot about it. Now that my interest in modeling has been re-energized, I thought it might be nice to clean this up and put it on display. Unfortunately I didn't take any "before" pictures, but I consider this an in process "restoration" if you will. Out of respect for the skill of the modeler that built this many years ago I'm going to keep it as close as possible to his vision. He was an old school builder and the engine is wired with thread and has wire dipsticks added. One thing I have done is to remove the too thick beauty rings from the wheels (one was missing anyway) and touched up the rims.  I like the look much better. I polished the flat red seats with Novus # 2 and a cotton swab which gave them a bit more of a realistic sheen. The paint is single stage so I was leery of trying to polish it too aggressively. I opted to use Novus #2 and #3, followed by a soft wax. I think it came out pretty well. I really appreciate the effort that went into the hand painted flames. I'm using Molowtow pens to replate some of the chrome that has perished, and I've Anyway, among other projects I'm going to try to add the final bits to make this car what it was intended to be by it's builder. I only hope to be able to build as well as this someday. Please excuse the dust. Will get some more pictures up soon.

11875.jpeg

11874.jpeg

11876.jpeg

Hi David. The black on the body is paint. It is pretty smooth with only a couple minor flaws. The flames are nice. I can't imagine how much work went into that. What I can see though is that 1) The car is not nearly as clean as I thought, and 2) I really need to work on my photography!