Model Cars Magazine Forum

´54 Hudson Hornet

Andy Oldenburg

Hello everybody, her comes my first topic!

I had never heard of Hudson until I saw the Pixar film "CARS" in 2006. Even then I didn´t realize that the character Doc Hudson was styled after the Hornet. Doc Hudson is a grumpy former racing ace (spoken by Paul Newman) that gets friends with Lightning McQueen. Great movie! For quite a while I have been thinking about building a Hornet and decided for the Moebius kit. A good choice: Lots of parts molded very precise with crisp details. Everything fits. I chose to make my Hornet as close to stock as possible.

The paint job was Molotow high quality graffiti rattle cans, clear coat and the last coat over the decals and bare metal. Plus a good polishing. Nothing was exchanged or added to the parts on this model, all straight from the kit (except many details).

Building the door was a bit tricky, because this club coupe has a window frame. I managed to cut out the door with a scalpel. The rest was attaching the cut out door panel and filling the hollow spaces with sheet styrene. Added some details to the door and rocker.

Since I started building models 2 years ago I have only built V8s. Building a straight 6 cylinder was refreshing and I found new parts to add to the engine (tiny photo etched hex nuts). The standard engine color was red, but a few golden ones were built too.

The undercarriage is customized with break lines and weathered.

The interior has a flocked floor. Fine dashboard decals were in the box, the seat belts are custom.

Thanks for watching!

DSC_0642.JPG

DSC_0633.JPG

DSC_0634.JPG

DSC_0617.JPG

DSC_0637.JPG

DSC_0639.JPG

DSC_0613.JPG

DSC_0615.JPG

DSC_0640.JPG

DSC_0616.JPG

• Like 9

Beautiful paint colour scheme on your build Andreas . . . I have built one of theses Hudson Hornets by Moebius, which was the 1953 car, and I have one more the same still inthe sealed box. As you discovered, the fit of the parts in these Moebius kits is excellent and everything goes together really well. This is how scale model cars should be produced . . . Moebius are the best in my opinion. Even the instruction sheet is a piece of art work in itself !

Your 1954 Hudson Hornet is very nicely done, and I can see that your polishing is done to a high standard. Plenty of good chrome work too !

I ordered my Moebius Hudsons from a company in Germany, on Ebay, and the price was very good with quick delivery to UK.

David

Beautiful looking paint colors and finish. The opening driver's door looks great. Many younger builders may not appreciate or know about the history of the Hudson automobile. They were considered a very high line car thru the early '50's. They used a 305 cu, in, engine with a twin carb option that was very dominate in NASCAR racing until the V-8 engines from the other manufacturers surpassed their performance. As a child I remember a few wealthier families in the neighborhood who had Hudsons.