Model Cars Magazine Forum

Roden kits can be very, very 'fiddly" to build. Fit is especially sensitive to sprue nubs that stick up, and even the smallest interference from cutting and sanding. Plus, they tend to have lots of small parts in a tiny space.

You might see if you can leave out smaller, unseen or hard to see parts, to provide more clearance.

Also, see if you can find somebody on Youtube, who has built that kit, and see if they had the same issues. Sadly, sometimes, it is not you, it is the kit. If you have to, fettle the parts down to get a fit.

I've built some Roden  1/72 WW1 fighters (the Junkers "J" series) and the fit fought me the whole way. Other builders did not have the problems I had, so I guess I may just be 'Ham-Fisted' in my building techniques. 

Sorry, I could not be more help.

3 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Roden kits can be very, very 'fiddly" to build. Fit is especially sensitive to sprue nubs that stick up, and even the smallest interference from cutting and sanding. Plus, they tend to have lots of small parts in a tiny space.

You might see if you can leave out smaller, unseen or hard to see parts, to provide more clearance.

Also, see if you can find somebody on Youtube, who has built that kit, and see if they had the same issues. Sadly, sometimes, it is not you, it is the kit. If you have to, fettle the parts down to get a fit.

I've built some Roden  1/72 WW1 fighters (the Junkers "J" series) and the fit fought me the whole way. Other builders did not have the problems I had, so I guess I may just be 'Ham-Fisted' in my building techniques. 

Sorry, I could not be more help.

I am looking to build WW1 Bomber or Bi-Wing Fighter Airplanes. In a larger scale maybe 1:48th. which manufacture would you recommend? 

Thanks

Mike 

For 1:48 biplane kits, it's hard to beat some of the latest Eduard releases. Their earlier kits were short-run mouldings, but more recent kits have good tooling and quality. I would also check out some of the pages like Hyperscale for build reviews.

I like some of Roden's kits, but they can be fiddly. Decals also leave a lot to be desired.

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

For 1:48 biplane kits, it's hard to beat some of the latest Eduard releases. Their earlier kits were short-run mouldings, but more recent kits have good tooling and quality. I would also check out some of the pages like Hyperscale for build reviews.

I like some of Roden's kits, but they can be fiddly. Decals also leave a lot to be desired.

Hope this helps. 

Thank you

Mike

18 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

I am looking to build WW1 Bomber or Bi-Wing Fighter Airplanes. In a larger scale maybe 1:48th. which manufacture would you recommend? 

Thanks

Mike 

A bunch of 1/32 Wing Nut Wings kits were found in a warehouse in New Zealand recently. Sprue Brothers and Andy's Hobby Headquarters (among others) have acquired stocks of these kits. You will find no WWI aircraft kits that are better. Also, if their airplanes are as good as their WWI armored cars, Copper State Models is worth a look. (Note that Copper State makes both styrene and resin plane kits.)

Edited by vintagerpm

2 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

A bunch of 1/32 Wing Nut Wings kits were found in a warehouse in New Zealand recently. Sprue Brothers and Andy's Hobby Headquarters (among others) have acquired stocks of these kits. You will find no WWI aircraft kits that are better. Also, if their airplanes are as good as their WWI armored cars, Copper State Models is worth a look. (Note that Copper State makes both styrene and resin plane kits.)

Thank you for the info.

Mike