Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spray Painting in Winter

Horrorshow

Do you know anybody who has a little bit of heated space that you could borrow occasionally?

Someone with an unfinished basement, or a mechanic’s or auto body shop, or the like, that would let you use it for a few minutes after hours once in a while?

Otherwise, you might be stuck.

Steve

How about using water soluble paint with an airbrush? A good filter should catch any minimal overspray the airbrush emits. Bathroom vented? If so you could set up your portable on top of the sink or vanity and shoot in the closed room while also running the bathroom fan. Kind of a pain in the A.. every time you want to paint but desperate men will go through desperate measures.

This was something that has been on my mind recently, and I was thinking now that the outside temperature has dropped below 13°C the spray painting will have to stop for the Winter . . . Currently it is around 8°C outside, and obviously it will drop to below 0°C at some stage.  As Rick suggested, maybe we have to use paints with airbrush that don't emit fumes.

I have to open my Velux roof window in the loft workshop when spraying paint, but it will be way too cold for opening windows !

David

I used to just paint and clear a bunch of bodies around September and October to get me through the winter months. I mostly use water-based paints through my airbrush now, so I can paint year round. I have one of those small portable booths in my spare bedroom and just crack the window for the vent tube whenever I paint. It gets a little chilly, like maybe down to 60 degrees if I paint a lot, especially if it's windy, but it's certainly doable for an hour or two.

IMG_1275.JPEG