Model Cars Magazine Forum

Craft Paint For Models?

oldcarfan

With my favorite Krylon and Duplicolor Touch Ups being hard to find in my area, I'm thinking of switching to an air brush. The only easy to access paint is craft paints from HL or Walmart. I have some questions that maybe someone can answer. I figure to use windshield fluid or alcohol to thin it. Once dry, can flaws be sanded like lacquer or must it be redone? How is the adhesion? Will masking tape cause it to pull away? Finally, can it be clear coated with Duplicolor or other non-acrylic clear coats?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Windshield washer fluid(plain blue) works fine, but I have discovered from a Facebook Group a thinner solution that is outstanding for craft paints. It is 3 parts distilled water, 1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol( I'm venturing a guess that the 70% will work fine too, I just haven't tried it yet) and 4-5 drops of glycerin as a flow improver per 8 ounce batch. The glycerin is super slick, so not much is needed. If flaws need to be sanded, it should be done lightly and carefully and will almost certainly need to be re-touched with paint. Adhesion is pretty good, and I do strongly suggest a primer coat first. I have had little to no problems with masking over craft paints. I have sprayed Testors Wet Look Clear, Tamiya TS-13, and Krylon Short Cuts Clear over craft paints with no problems at all. Just start with a light coat or two first before the heavier wetter coats. Practicing/testing any of these questions on a test body and/or parts will give you a really good indication of how craft paints will work/react to your building style. I mainly use craft paints and Createx anymore and love them, there's just a bit of a learning curve. They're cheap, easy to use and clean, have no odor, and are available in about a million colors, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1