Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch built Elfin ME5 (Oz big banger sports car)

Having built 3 Elfin 400's based on resin bodies I cast I thought it was time to have a go at the ME5.  I saw this car race many times when owned by Don Elliott and then Johnny Walker.  The  early colour scheme as used by Don (driven at that time by Robin Pare) was white with green a red stripes and that remains in my mind as my favourite look. As it is a slab sided car, and the plans are available, I decided to scratch build one using styrene sheet and an assortment of resin cast pieces from my stash.  Having both the Elfin books has  helped and also period pics from my good friend Bruce.

It has started well and I'm enjoying the build. I'm building it as a fill in between Fisher resins I have managed to pick up.

Tks for looking.

Dave B

me5 over.jpg

IMG_20221124_121900211.jpg

IMG_20221124_122153242.jpg

IMG_20221124_122104551.jpg

Edited by Dave B
typo
  • Like 1

Thats great, As a teenager i was an avid reader of Autosport, remember in the winter reading about the Tasman series with the McRaes Elfin Matich and  Lola. wishing i could be there in the warm. Thanks for the picture ,with a great new book.

Hi Dennis, yes although the drawings are not what the real car was built from.  They're very accurate and with period photos it's all I need.

Had already made the wheels for my 400's so just needed to alter outer rim.

Dave B