Model Cars Magazine Forum

Instrumental Music?

JollySipper

21 hours ago, JollySipper said:

I like that, Mike man! Just listened to it all the way through....... B)

Is Sugar Cane Harris the group? I'd like to find more of their stuff..........

It's good to find someone else that also likes that stuff. 👍 Anyway he's on Frank Zappa's "The Gumbo Variations" (posted earlier) as a guest musician. I never knew about his group either. I was at an antique flea market last week and one of the vendors there was playing an LP of "Cup Full of Dreams" and I recognized that style. His name is Don "Sugar Cane" Harris. He's played together with other musicians too. He's also played with Jean Luc Ponty who has also played with Zappa. I found about 7 of his albums on YouTube. Go listen to Frank Zappa's "The Gumbo Variations" too. it's from the "Hot Rat's" album. In fact you should listen to the whole album, it's great too! You'll love it. Just search for Sugar Cane Harris there. I downloaded all the audio and put the albums together on my PC. I looked up his discography to correctly order the songs and used my mp3tag software to do it so I can listen to them on my mp3 player.

Edited by Mike C

• 2 weeks later...

Digging up the old instrumentals I grew up with is a great memory trip; Dad loved quite a range of music always had Alpert, Firehouse Five, swing, Kenny Ball, James Last or something playing...

Edited by mk11
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2023 at 12:35 AM, mk11 said:

Digging up the old instrumentals I grew up with is a great memory trip; Dad loved quite a range of music always had Alpert, Firehouse Five, swing, Kenny Ball, James Last or something playing...

Thank you for the memories of when I was small of waist and long of hair, unlike now. Besides Wipe Out, Green Onions, Torquay, Surfer Joe, Walk Don't Run were some of the top tunes when we all put Hydrogen Peroxide in our hair so we would look like surfers. 

On 3/25/2023 at 10:52 AM, JollySipper said:

I LIKE ELO! I was turned on to them by listening to Dad's LPs when I was a kid..... He had the 'Time' album, one of their more obscure recordings.......

I like that one too. Yes it is weird, but good. Came out in the '80s and I bought the CD - still have it and you just reminded me to listen to it again. One of not many albums where I like every song.

• Like 1