Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is it just me or are Verizon phone rates way too high?

Monty

I was a customer for 20 years, dropped them a couple years ago for Mint Mobile.  For the most part been happy w/ Mint, about $240/year, 10gb month data. Not unlimited data like I had with Verizon, but since I work from home I’m mostly on WiFi. About the only downside to Mint I’ve seen is I get weak signal (dropping to LTE) in rural areas. Still using my 2020 iPhone SE, though thinking of upgrading to a newer model. 

Edited by Rob Hall

I've had Verizon for 20 years or so. I agree their rates are high but the service is excellent. My phone (Google Pixel 6) gets reception everywhere, including places where my colleagues with Sprint and T-Mobile have challenges. I've thought about changing providers but I've never had a problem with Verizon, either their phone service or on the customer service side. 

Yeah they don't give long term customers a break. It is getting old. T Mobile has a 55 and older plan that seems good on paper.  The service with Verizon is getting poor around here with large dead or near dead zones.  I don't know where this "Location:7th circle of hell " is at on earth but I assume there are a few different companies to get a price from. If we don't start to leave in droves they will change nothing. 

I use mint as well. I bought it at Christmas last year 1 year get 1 year free. So basically came to 7.50 a month. It's pretty good. My wife uses Verizon and there are times she doesn't have coverage and I do however I only have 4gb data plan. I rarely use data and only once did I come close in 11 months. However if I did go over I just get lower data speeds no extra fees

I had Verizon for years. Great service but I agree, it costs to much. I went to Visable. Its owned by Verizon, so it uses their system. And its only $40.00 a month.

2 things to add though- you have to do auto pay and there is little to no customer service. So if your not one to try and deal with issues, it might be for you.

But over all, I like it.

On 11/25/2022 at 4:38 PM, jaymcminn said:

I've had Verizon for 20 years or so. I agree their rates are high but the service is excellent. My phone (Google Pixel 6) gets reception everywhere, including places where my colleagues with Sprint and T-Mobile have challenges. I've thought about changing providers but I've never had a problem with Verizon, either their phone service or on the customer service side. 

I agree.

I get a little perturbed every time the bill comes due, but all that I have to do is envision employees and patients at my place of work and I feel better.

Almost invariably, people that don't have Verizon have to step out the front of the building just to get a signal.

I see it umpteen times every day.

I'm not good with that.

It's worth the extra money to me not to have to stand outside when it's 30 degrees below zero in the winter just to make a phone call.

Steve

• Like 1

I went from Verizon to Cricket. We have two lines for $96 a month, and that includes insurance on both phones. Even if you lose a phone, they will replace it. Signal might not be as strong as Verizon, but it doesn't dig as deeply into the bank account like Verizon did.

28 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Man you guys pay a lot more than i do on this side of the pond. My unlimited phone and internet package is £34 a month and for every ten quid spent on calls i get 20 quid more of free calls and sms

We have a much bigger population that are addicted to their phones.....thus easy to keep prices high. Supply and demand means max market will bare. 

• Like 1

I used to build cell sites for a living 20+ years ago. Absolutely had to have a Verizon phone to communicate while building Sprint, GTE and Cingular networks. They were the only ones with coverage most everywhere in Washington state. Had their service for almost 20 years. Got too costly. Now I am in Oregon and switched to Sprint a few years ago. They recently got bought out by T-Mobile. Coverage has been good enough. I have 3 lines for $129/month. Never have data issues as the two heaviest users are always on wifi. My job uses AT&T. Coverage sucks when indoors.

Me and Ms. L switched to Verizon last year. Pricey, like all name brand services, but my incentive was a free Iphone SE, which I'm very happy with. So if I deduct the value of the phone (say, $500) then it comes out to be reasonable, for a while at least.

When I visited Taiwan, cell service was a public utility for a pittance of what we pay here. For that reason, most (young) people had two or three cell phones.

On 11/28/2022 at 4:39 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

But that's what you get when morons run things.

But I heard the adults are in charge now.  

I am in a rural area where coverage for everything but Verizon is iffy. We were happy with Sprint in Vegas, but after we moved we didn't have service in our living room so we switched to Verizon.  At least in the stores I have been to, they are good with customer service & resolving issues.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:39 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

When a jar of Hellman's mayo is right at 8 bucks, I think it's fair to say the rates for everything are way too high.

But that's what you get when morons run things.

Wanna get sick? Iceberg lettuce is now going for $7 a head here in NYC. Spoke to a woman on the subway yesterday (we both survived the trip) who told me that she paid $10 for a head of Romaine. Calling those who are running things morons is much too kind.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been with Verizon for several years, never really had an issue with them.  When my wife passed, I went to the local store to get her phone deactivated and try to switch to a cheaper plan.  I was told the plan I am on is the best and cheapest they offer.  It is difficult for me to understand why they do not offer a single-line plan that would be cheaper than a two-line plan.

• 10 months later...

My dad has had a Verizon land line for years. His phone would have a crackling sound when you picked up the receiver. It would be worse somedays than others. Forget hearing any message left on the answering machine. Plus the majority of incoming calls were of a soliciting nature. I would call Verizon, they would send out a repair man and it be ok for sometime but it would always reoccur. I got tired of the constant BS if them not wanting to fix the problem instead of half @$$ing it! So I cancelled them. I had to laugh after I had gotten off the phone from canceling their service in which I did not hold back on voicing my opinion of them during the cancellation process. They sent me a "How did we do survey"  oh I answered it and I was as honest as I could be..😏 

After I got my cell phone service and flip phone from Consumer Cellular several years ago, I jettisoned my Verizon landline phone service because it kept jacking up the rates. At the time I was paying $85 a month for it versus $30 a month for my CC service. The latter included unlimited calls and voice mail so it just made economic sense plus I can be reached via my cell 24/7 where ever I'm at at home or on the road in my car or school bus.

• Like 1