Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to make car models look crushed?

OK, so I have an idea for a monster truck model, and I want to make some crushed cars for a display for it. Problem is, how do I make car models look like they've been crushed? A lot of the info I find online suggests wrapping a car model in tinfoil and doing it that way, but I feel that would look too chintzy and wouldn't support the weight of the truck.

Also, just in case anyone asks: You have my full assurance that I won't be using any classic American car models for this.

Try using heavy duty name brand aluminum foil and form it to the body of the car, burnishing out all the wrinkles then trim closely to the body. Carefully remove the foil body and put in appropriate dents and damage. When the car has the look you want, flow 2 part epoxy to the inside of each side of the body and let set. Paint the exterior to replicate the damage from the truck.

Looks a lot more realistic than simply melting plastic. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Try using heavy duty name brand aluminum foil and form it to the body of the car, burnishing out all the wrinkles then trim closely to the body. Carefully remove the foil body and put in appropriate dents and damage. When the car has the look you want, flow 2 part epoxy to the inside of each side of the body and let set. Paint the exterior to replicate the damage from the truck.

That's an awsome tip! 😀 

Or...you could drop a model you just finished and then step on it trying to get out of the way, or knock a model shelf down trying to put one too many models on it and watch the models air drop to the concrete floor, or, place an unopened kit box on the seat of your bench chair...and then, after forgetting that you did that and rapidly find out that you did when sitting down at the bench...just start from there for the "crushed" look. 

😳🙄😂😁

Joe

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

That might work. My only concern is hoping that the foil doesn't deform when trying to put the epoxy in, but other than that, I could give it a shot. It seems better than aluminum foil alone.

35 minutes ago, Joe Nunes said:

Or...you could drop a model you just finished and then step on it trying to get out of the way, or knock a model shelf down trying to put one too many models on it and watch the models air drop to the concrete floor, or, place an unopened kit box on the seat of your bench chair...and then, after forgetting that you did that and rapidly find out that you did when sitting down at the bench...just start from there for the "crushed" look. 

😳🙄😂😁

Joe

That's pretty funny, but that would look even chintzier than using plain aluminum foil.

• Haha 2

They make this aluminum sculpture mesh, it's very fine and soft to conform to surfaces. I might try copying a body with this stuff then trying to deform it. Once it's crumpled to your desired crumpliness you could cover it with something to replicate the sheet metal.

1640280863_images(10).jpeg.f3dedabae65641cdc4f31e45a3497ee4.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

They make this aluminum sculpture mesh, it's very fine and soft to conform to surfaces. I might try copying a body with this stuff then trying to deform it. Once it's crumpled to your desired crumpliness you could cover it with something to replicate the sheet metal.

1640280863_images(10).jpeg.f3dedabae65641cdc4f31e45a3497ee4.jpeg

That's an interesting idea too, and it sounds a bit simpler than the epoxy trick. My only concern is if it'll hold the weight of the truck, and given how big and bad this truck is going to be, that's important to me.

EDIT: On second thought, considering there'll also be other car parts under the body like an engine, interior bits and what have you, I might just go with it.

Edited by ABC Auto Industry

2 hours ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

That might work. My only concern is hoping that the foil doesn't deform when trying to put the epoxy in, but other than that, I could give it a shot. It seems better than aluminum foil alone.

Warm the epoxy on a coffee warmer and it will thin it out... so it flows a but more like water than molasses.

You could also probably spray the inside with some self etching primer really wet and let it dry to stiffen it up before you epoxy.

55 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Warm the epoxy on a coffee warmer and it will thin it out... so it flows a but more like water than molasses.

You could also probably spray the inside with some self etching primer really wet and let it dry to stiffen it up before you epoxy.

BRILLIANT! I might just do that, too. Decisions, decisions...

1 hour ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

That's an interesting idea too, and it sounds a bit simpler than the epoxy trick. My only concern is if it'll hold the weight of the truck, and given how big and bad this truck is going to be, that's important to me.

You could probably do hidden supports under the tires, maybe wooden dowels painted black. And yes, any interior or chassis parts might give it some structure. 

Edited by Fat Brian

6 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

You could probably do hidden supports under the tires, maybe wooden dowels painted black. And yes, any interior or chassis parts might give it some structure. 

Good idea. Considering I might modify the suspension to further add to the crushed look, they'll most likely be invisible.

17 hours ago, ABC Auto Industry said:

I was referencing to the 2 part liquid epoxy, not the putty. Should be able to flow it in without distorting the foil.

b07ac6b7-8296-4d1a-9fdc-2b5f6d032628_1.118010c88449dfd985879432b57f7968.jpeg.2c2b140ecd87df58d55edc99458d7729.jpeg

On 11/25/2022 at 9:49 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

they is a guy on a Facebook group that does that with cars to make them look like they been is a wreck.. gets around $300 a car.. he very good at it..

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, yh70 said:

they is a guy on a Facebook group that does that with cars to make them look like they been is a wreck.. gets around $300 a car.. he very good at it..

You know, that sounds like a very easy - albeit expensive - way to do it. I do, however, have a few questions:

1. How much of a car do I need to build - or not build - for him to undertake work on it?
  2. Should I even bother with painting a car before sending it to him?
  3. Where can I find him?