Model Cars Magazine Forum

FAKE AMAZON PHISHING E-MAILS

Ace-Garageguy

I'm sure most of you know enough to read the sender line and not respond to this stuff...but just in case you don't, another round has started up, trying to get people panicked who're buying Christmas gifts online.

It's an attempt to steal your personal and account info. DON'T FALL FOR IT

The logo looks legit, and the email starts off:

𝖶𝖾 𝗉𝗅𝖺𝖼𝖾𝖽 𝖺 𝗍𝖾𝗆𝗉𝗈𝗋𝖺𝗋𝗒 𝗁𝗈𝗅𝖽 𝗈𝗇 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝖺𝖼𝖼𝗈𝗎𝗇𝗍 𝖽𝗎𝖾 𝗍𝗈 𝖺 𝖻𝗂𝗅𝗅𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗂𝗌𝗌𝗎𝖾.

𝖣𝗎𝖾 𝗍𝗈 𝖺 𝗉𝗋𝗈𝖻𝗅𝖾𝗆 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝖼𝖺𝗋𝖽 , 𝗐𝖾 𝗁𝖺𝗏𝖾 𝖻𝖾𝖾𝗇 𝗎𝗇𝖺𝖻𝗅𝖾 𝗍𝗈 𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗋𝗀𝖾 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝖻𝗂𝗅𝗅.

𝖳𝗈 𝗎𝗇𝗅𝗈𝖼𝗄𝖾𝖽 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝖺𝖼𝖼𝗈𝗎𝗇𝗍, 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝖼𝖺𝗇 𝖼𝗅𝗂𝖼𝗄 𝖻𝗎𝗍𝗍𝗈𝗇 𝖻𝖾𝗅𝗈𝗐 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗉𝗋𝗈𝖼𝖾𝖾𝖽 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝗂𝖽𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗂𝗍𝗒 𝗏𝖾𝗋𝗂𝖿𝗂𝖼𝖺𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇 𝗍𝗈 𝗉𝗋𝗈𝗏𝖾 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝗂𝗍 𝗂𝗌 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝖺𝖼𝖼𝗈𝗎𝗇𝗍.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The dead giveaway is usually your name doesn't appear on the e-mail at all, just the e-mail addy it was sent to.

But if there's any doubt, contact whoever it's supposed to be from on your own, not using ANY contact info in the e-mail.

,, and yes, some of them are almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

I got an e-mail from "Amazon" a couple of weeks ago claiming that there had been "suspicious activity" on my account.

Claimed that someone had ordered an item for several hundred dollars.

Also a scam.

They're hoping that you'll call the number provided to "verify your account information".

U-huh. -_-

Steve

My company sends out fake emails to snag people. If you click on it your boss gets an email and you have to take a class. 

The emails look too good and lots of folks get snagged. My employee got caught by a fake Amazon receipt. It supposedly had a return address other than Amazon.. guess what? Amazon emails come from varying addresses!

When I complained their reply was that my employee shouldn’t be on Amazon on company time!  Um.. the free snacks we put in the coffee rooms all are ordered on Amazon!  

D50ABA9B-987E-4A0E-8BC6-9B14BE4FF570.jpeg.b900c2dbd12fb2983051f5f0667e8810.jpeg

Snack delivery!

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

...guess what? Amazon emails come from varying addresses!

Of course, anyone with a modicum of internet knowledge, common sense, and a little healthy distrust (and who pays attention to details) can easily spot a spoofed address.

But of course, I'm also aware those qualifications weed out most everyone.   :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My e-mail address is really old......from the start of Hotmail. So I get a ton of fakes. Pretty easy to spot.....just use common sense.  Learn the basic's. Look at e-mail addresses, HOVER over hot links to see where it WOULD take you. All things anyone using e-mail needs to know. Kinda like back in the olden days when our parents made us memorize our phone number and address before we could go out alone. Same thing today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

My company sends out fake emails to snag people. If you click on it your boss gets an email and you have to take a class. 

The emails look too good and lots of folks get snagged. My employee got caught by a fake Amazon receipt. It supposedly had a return address other than Amazon.. guess what? Amazon emails come from varying addresses!

When I complained their reply was that my employee shouldn’t be on Amazon on company time!  Um.. the free snacks we put in the coffee rooms all are ordered on Amazon!  

My company does the same thing with the fake emails. It amazes me the amount of times some of these highly educated people fall for this.

• Sad 1

On 11/25/2022 at 3:46 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

𝖳𝗈 𝗎𝗇𝗅𝗈𝖼𝗄𝖾𝖽 [sic] 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝖺𝖼𝖼𝗈𝗎𝗇𝗍,

The improper tenses are giveaways to me (not that I'm a master of composition or languages myself), that's if I read the email from some oraganisation with whom I don't have an account (Amazon, various banks, Apple, etc. etc.) to begin with. 

Another one which these benchods employ is the aggressive, automated message which starts as soon as one answers a call from some random number (and these benchods use whatever area code they can... I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognise, with maybe two exceptions.). My 91 year old uncle answered a call (same area code as where we live), and that "dire" message started off with: "A charge has been made to your Amazon account in the amount of nine-hundred dollars..." 
My uncle said something which I cannot repeat here, before he hung up the call.

17 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The improper tenses are giveaways to me...

Yup, which is exactly what I meant by someone who "...pays attention to details" being able to easily spot a fake, in my response to Tom.

Sadly though, I notice this type of usage error more and more frequently in native English speakers, which fuels my constant lament about the state of "education" in this country now.

• Thanks 1

I get a lot of Amazon emails (I buy a lot from them, subscribe to their Prime streaming channels, etc).  My email routing rules filter well, so anything that is bogus pretty consistently ends up in my spam folder.  And even if they get to my inbox, poor grammar, typos and bogus email domains flag them as suspicious.  

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 2

be wary of any email from streaming services that ask you to verify your account if you have already been using them for a while.

I have received so called "messages" from Disney+, which I ignored. I figure if it's legit, they will send another message.

• Like 1