Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 AC Shelby Cobra

Andy Oldenburg

The Cobra is one of my favorite sports car. Even more so, after I was able to take a good look at even 2 of them at a car meeting this summer.

On most images I encountered the Cobra in a light or medium blue. I decided for a metallic blue. The base coat and primer is a metallic silver, the blue is Aero Color Airbrush acrylic with a 30% part of metallic medium. I chose to make the typical white stripes much bolder than the original stripes. last coat is AK clear and a polish with Tamiya polish creme.

The original wheels were not polished chrome so I had to spray the mags in a dark silver. The kit tires I replaced with much better detailed tires from my scrap box. Same goes with the sidepipes, which were not polished chrome. I found those real looking headlights at one of my suppliers. It seems to be clear epoxy on thin sheet steel.

The interior I pepped up with sheet rubber on the floor and metal rings for the gauges. Plus racing seatbelts, although back then I believe they only had simple hip belts. Carrol Shelby offered to sigh my models dashboard😂not...

As I had predicted, there is not much to see of the engine once the model is assembled. I was wondering where the battery was placed and learned that they either packed it in the small trunk or tucked it behind the shotgun seat.

A really cool legendary car with lots of stories to tell about.

Thanks for taking a look!

DSC_0534.JPG

DSC_0535.JPG

DSC_0536.JPG

DSC_0537.JPG

DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0540.JPG

DSC_0524.JPG

DSC_0526.JPG

DSC_0530.JPG

DSC_0532.JPG