Model Cars Magazine Forum

'40 coupes ain't so tough.

customline

Just sitting here looking at the mock-ups I just posted.....the thing that I notice in a side view right away is the wheel/tire thing. Too much tire, not enough wheel.  White walls might fix it. It's too late in the game to make a wheel/tire change. If I break an axle, my neighbors will hear it. I dunno, is it that bad?😕

5 hours ago, customline said:

Thanks Greg and Mike. The Testor's can valve is very hard to push (and I have several of the other colors- I was stocking up on the Extreme stuff whenever I made the long trip to HL because I was happy with a previous job with one of them) so I use a "helper" to push it but this particular can was a bit ornery. I tried to mist the first coat over long-dried Tamiya fine surface primer but it just didn't go well (pilot error 🥴 maybe). Notice the way it collected on the drip rail and check the door lines where it pulled away. Misting those areas might have kept that from happening but the can has too much volume out of the nozzle. You just can't mist it (I couldn't,  anyway)

I was looking for validation on my idea to continue with a light wet sand and then decant the rest and run it through my Wren.(I guess I'm not so dumb after all 🤤) I may add a tiny bit of thinner too because it seems a little thick. I'm glad I stopped when I did 💩.

To tell the truth, I'm not loving this color. It might be okay when the chrome is on........ Good talk!

I'm a sucker for metallic turquoise, so I can't beat up on your colour choice. It does show just how excellent your bodywork is- apart from the new/improved roofline, there are no clues that there is bodywork under that paint...well done.

Some Tamiya or Mr. Color lacquer thinner will take care of the paint thickness for airbrushing. Having decanted Testors lacquers for airbrushing, I agree they are pretty thick right out of the can. I used the Tamiya lacquer thinner to thin out Testors lacquer last time, and based on forum posts showing great results I'm inclined to give the Mr. Color Levelling Thinner a go next time around.

Edited by gman

11 hours ago, customline said:

Anyone like to recommend a clear coat for this paint? 

Why not use the Extreme Lacquer (formerly OneCoat) clear? Then you don't have to worry about compatibility issues? It's a pretty nice clear.

I have used Tamiya lacquers and Testors interchangeably with their respective clearcoats for years, so if you want to try Tamiya clear you should be able to, and the spray nozzle on those is so much nicer. Of course, do a test before blasting it all over your newly painted body.

23 hours ago, gman said:

I'm a sucker for metallic turquoise, so I can't beat up on your colour choice. It does show just how excellent your bodywork is- apart from the new/improved roofline, there are no clues that there is bodywork under that paint...well done.

Some Tamiya or Mr. Color lacquer thinner will take care of the paint thickness for airbrushing. Having decanted Testors lacquers for airbrushing, I agree they are pretty thick right out of the can. I used the Tamiya lacquer thinner to thin out Testors lacquer last time, and based on forum posts showing great results I'm inclined to give the Mr. Color Levelling Thinner a go next time around.

Thanks for your interest, Greg, I appreciate your praise and the tip about thinning. I have had better luck from the can in the past so maybe it was not shook up enough. I thought it was. I see color variations. I use cheap hardware store lacquer thinner when airbrushing but I'll see if I can find the Mr. Color around here. 

P.S. I have 2 bottles of T-106  on the way. 

Edited by customline
Post script

28 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Why not use the Extreme Lacquer (formerly OneCoat) clear? Then you don't have to worry about compatibility issues? It's a pretty nice clear.

I have used Tamiya lacquers and Testors interchangeably with their respective clearcoats for years, so if you want to try Tamiya clear you should be able to, and the spray nozzle on those is so much nicer. Of course, do a test before blasting it all over your newly painted body.

To answer that first question, I think I'm done with those cans. Too difficult to control. The Tamiya sounds good. I use the primers exclusively before color. Super fine atomization.  Love it. Thanks, Greg, I appreciate your help.

Nope. We're headed back to primer again. I didn't have a whole lot of faith that a little wet-sand would allow me to go back with just color. The only way to get an even coat is by re-priming. So be it. 😕 . Today would be an ideal day, here on the Chesapeake, to paint this puppy but I'm not ready. But it will get primer on it. Again.

IMG_3655.jpg.ebe19d81be68f69ae81909b90996171f.jpg

On 2/7/2023 at 2:40 AM, gman said:

Hey, Greg, I got the Mr. Color thinner. And I got something else. Check out my "barn find" I won on Ebay for $12 bucks plus 8 bucks shipping. This could solve my paint problems ☺️.

s-l1600.jpg.7a35d56aed5cb07328b2557ed8b2cd78.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gman said:

Good score- someone laid down a nce coat of green on that body.

I browse occasionally and ran across it with no bids, starting at $11.99 and one minute to go. How could I not? I really didn't have time to actually see what was there. I now know there is no hood (in any picture) but both engines are there and there are plenty of tires. I'll know more when it arrives. It looks like a good win from here though. With kit prices soaring into low orbit, I'm a happy boy 🤓

This project is back in white primer again and I missed a perfect day to paint yesterday 😢.

Edited by customline
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Color change. Don't hate me, turquoise lovers, I didn't have the time nor the inclination to decant the Extreme stuff but I found something I had a fair amount of success with in my stash of Boyd's enamel. ICE BLUE PEARL!  Subtle and 😎 cool. Forgot to paint the dash as usual 💩.  I used Mr. Hobby leveling thinner and it's taking a long time to dry, which I attribute to that. Its hard to tell in this picture but it looks pretty good. I didn't want to handle it too much.  I'll post a better mock-up in a day or two, when it feels better. I am quite happy to get this one moving along again.

IMG_3735.jpg.ac7d393af301fff5347e8332e10d4587.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did some stuff on this one today. Some foil went down pretty well, glass is in and door handles (one door handle ) and tail lights, gas cap and trunk handle all installed, all were pinned with .020 brass. While holding one of the door handles with tweezers,in an attempt to set it in place with a tiny drop of CA on the brass pin, it suddenly shot up like a rocket and disappeared into ???  I never heard it land, which I always listen for (I'm fully experienced at this)  and this '40 coupe will be missing a door handle until maybe I find it like next November 😕. Or never.

I got the running boards and radiator painted too. And the floor botoms. Yay.  Not eager to attach those windshield wipers 😣.

Some quick mock-ups fer ya. 🤓

IMG_3879.thumb.jpg.c0e13a3c0e9f7c6f31eb14add788e6ed.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg.05caf4795c8dc8c6e4191858da3dbb5e.jpgIMG_3882.jpg.8f1c48b8133a99274d099a7a8198b4b6.jpgIMG_3885.jpg.bf04901e2a5832f6f257c92d7ec44c61.jpgIMG_3884.jpg.f1ba37adefbd7768808e9c3139a678ac.jpgIMG_3883.jpg.2eb37f320bc26b3b15503e8cd1d06c8e.jpgIMG_3880.jpg.4e9f45528179ad77e37e3fb543b8b200.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

Edited by customline
Confusion
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, espo said:

Smooth looking paint finish, and like the color. 

Thanks, Dave. There seems to be some agreement on the color. I really like the Boyd's Colors.  Too bad Model Master has gone the way of the Studebaker and the Oldsmobile.....and the Mercury.....and the Pontiac.....and the Plymouth......jeez,  that's horrible 😢

• Sad 1

I'm with you Jim. I was laughing as I read your post. I drop everything I touch it seems. Worst part is I'm on carpet. I dont give up until its found.

I love that big grin shes giving off. Good idea pinning the door handles. I've always wanted to do that but never seem to follow thru.

7 hours ago, Slotto said:

I'm with you Jim. I was laughing as I read your post. I drop everything I touch it seems. Worst part is I'm on carpet. I dont give up until its found.

I love that big grin shes giving off. Good idea pinning the door handles. I've always wanted to do that but never seem to follow thru.

They stay put if you can get 'em there without launching them.  Its a matter of just the right amount of pressure on the tweezers. In the near past I would use my spring closed type but that usually resulted in me trying to squeeze them open without moving the part. Not a good way to do anything "sensitive" .  So now I use the squeeze closed type for those sensitive jobs but it's an iffy proposition too. Can't win at this without some luck. One trick I use whenever I can is leaving the brass wire long if I can access the back side. Why I didn't do that this time is beyond explanation 🙄. I had access. Hmmmm...... (scratches head).  Looking at it now, I wish I had filled the trunk handle hole. That handle is atrocious. Oh well.

Beautiful job Jim, everything matches very well. Great idea with the wire! Much better that risking too much glue on the body. Great things we can learn here. Seems like everybody has a black hole under the shop table. I know that feeling of hearing the tiny part fall, but can´t locating where. I´v spent hours on my knees and still not finding the darn thing😆

On 3/20/2023 at 12:06 PM, espo said:

My biggest concern when I get down on my hands and knees looking for a dropped part isn't whether or not I'll find the part, it's whether or not I'll be able to get back up. 

Indeed! I knew getting old was going to be rough but i had no idea it would be this rough!  😖

On 3/20/2023 at 3:45 PM, TransAmMike said:

I really like it Jim.  Gonna likely be my next build if I can ever get over the issues I'm having with the '63 Impala WIP and my cataract surgically repaired eyes clear up.

Very nice work👌

Thank you, Mike. I've had those surgeries and I sympathize. Get the Revell kit.

5 hours ago, customline said:

I feel a need to detail the wheels that this kit provided. I can't identify them. Does anyone know the mfgr. of the 1:1 wheels represented by these kit wheels?20230323_071453.jpg.3f6b3f0aa0e402448308302e2ed93aaf.jpg

The shape of the spokes and the "bolt" detail where they meet the outer rim reminds me of a style ET Wheels offered. As for detailing, consider a light wash of either Tamiya Panel line accent or their X-19 Smoke brush paint. Light application will partly fill the low spots and add depth to their appearance, and less is more.  

23 minutes ago, espo said:

The shape of the spokes and the "bolt" detail where they meet the outer rim reminds me of a style ET Wheels offered. As for detailing, consider a light wash of either Tamiya Panel line accent or their X-19 Smoke brush paint. Light application will partly fill the low spots and add depth to their appearance, and less is more.  

I think they look a lot like Halibrand Sprints, which have a polished finish. I'm sure I've seen some like this that had a grayish spoke but with polished edges. I have the x-19 and you are right about less is more( I tell her that all the time ☺️)