Model Cars Magazine Forum

Profil24 1951 Porsche 356SL 'Gmund Coupe'

Joe Lange

Greetings All,

A few years back I purchased built this kit from Profil24.  Being a VW/Porsche enthusiast, (i.e. NUT!), I thought it would be neat build.  The kit and instructions are for the 1951 Le Mans version, but I wanted to do just the 'standard competition version'.  No two of these puppies were identical anyway because they were factory competition cars.  The remaining aluminum bodied Austrian coupes before Porsche moved back to Stuttgart. 

Hope you enjoy the pics!

DSC00737.JPG

DSC00738.JPG

DSC00739.JPG

DSC00740.JPG

DSC00741.JPG

• Like 4

Really nice! As a born and raised child of Porsche town Stuttgart i can say only a minor people know these Car. My neighbour was Mr. Paul Ernst Strähle who was the first Porsche Dealer around here after WW2 and he told me so many Storys about those factory racing cars.

Nice Model!

2 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Joe really nice job. Silver is a tough finish to master but you  nailed it. My guess is Tamiya Mica Silver.  What did you really use for base and top coat. 

Yikes!  Gosh Rich, I really don't remember.  It's been quite a few years ago, so,....I wasn't introduced to Tamya paints back then, so my favorite spray paint back then was Dupli-Color and their Clear coat.  Thanks for the complements!

1 hour ago, Beamerman said:

Really nice! As a born and raised child of Porsche town Stuttgart i can say only a minor people know these Car. My neighbour was Mr. Paul Ernst Strähle who was the first Porsche Dealer around here after WW2 and he told me so many Storys about those factory racing cars.

Nice Model!

Thank You 'Beamerman'.  Even Porsche doesn't really mention very much about these cars, except the 3 that they entered in the '52 Le Mans race.  By 1950/51, Dr. Porsche was more interested in getting back to Zuffenhausen and build production, (steel bodied), cars.  The last of the aluminum, 'Gmund' cars were just for promotional/racing use.  Use them, crash them, throw them away!   

• Like 1