Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another source for BMW 2002 engine and engine bay?

Hey, guys! I've been eye-balling the Hasegawa 2002 Bimmer. It's a curbside, but a company in the Ukraine makes an engine bay for this kit.... I'm wondering.... is this the only source for the engine bay? I'd like to build the lil' BMW as a full detail... Also, what engine came in these little cars? Was it an OHC 6 cylinder? Would the engine from the Fujimi 635CSi fit a 2002? I realize that wouldn't be correct, just thinking aloud.........

Anyways, thanks for any help with this!

15 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Also, what engine came in these little cars? Was it an OHC 6 cylinder? Would the engine from the Fujimi 635CSi fit a 2002? I realize that wouldn't be correct, just thinking aloud...

It's a single overhead cam 4 cylinder, with rocker arms actuating the valves.

Below is a Ti with Webers. You see the engine bay isn't long enough to accommodate a six...but you could stuff one in by modding the firewall. It would most likely destroy the balance of the car though, which is what makes them fun and responsive to drive

BMW 2002 ti specificaties en info - Classic Cars

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

It would have been a 4 cylinder, and there is a turbo version too. The 6 from the csi might fit but the engine bay on these is pretty small. The uscp products are very nice and they are able to ship their items again, even with the war. I've actually got some items on the way now. There are various bmw engines available on cults for 3d printing

On 11/30/2022 at 1:08 AM, JollySipper said:

Cool, Thanks a bunch fellas! I really enjoy learning what I can about these cars....

Les, do you happen to know what all is represented as far as the underside goes? Will it be as easy as just opening the hood? or Will I need to source things like a driveshaft?

I've got a file for an m3 6 cylinder i'm going to be printing once i get the printer to work. I dont know how much detail the hasegawa kit has but the pics on uscp should give you a good idea whats there or 1999.com/eng will have pice of the kitcontents and insrtuctions. there is another option if you dont mind mixing scales. revell usa did the next model after the 2002 in 1/25 scale in both road and rally versions which might work for you. they should be pretty close size wise and it might be cheaper than the uscp parts but not as detailed. it might be worth having a look on spot model or scale production to see what they have too.