Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Dec 2022

Mr mopar

49 minutes ago, Hawk312 said:

Has anyone seen the Charger anywhere yet? Really liking that one, and I see HPI guys already have their hands on one.

The new Charger RT's are not in stores yet, still on the container ship on their way to the port.  HPI Guy got one of our production samples sent by air freight.  Hopefully you can find them around mid-December.

-Steve

• Like 1

I'm keen on the Aqua Rod Chevy Van & Trailer. I remember seeing it at GEMCO back in the late 70's (unusual for a discount store to carry a kit in such a big box) , but couldn't get it (IIRC, it was selling for $5.00 back then vs. the $3.00 for a regular kit).

Any chance the surf version (1973?) with the big block option making its return?

Some interesting comments on the Aqua Rod kit....

* The new, second graphic treatment is derived from the original c. 1975 or so AMT kit catalog announcement illustration of the kit.  That graphic treatment never made the very abbreviated decal sheet that actually appeared in the original Aqua Rod kit.   I suggested they look at adding the catalog graphic treatment for the decal sheet for this reissue and they actually did it!  Bravo to John G, Steve G. and the Round 2 team.

* In an article on 1/25th scale drag and ski boars in Model Cars mag about 15 or so years ago, I revealed that the boat hull was a dead ringer for the 1/1 scale Kindsvater boat of the mid to late 1960's.  But it was never referenced as such until this new kit release, which actually confirms the Kindsvater connection (see the side panel art in the December Round 2 video).  (Prior kit releases did not specify the brand of the boat hull).  

* In preparing for this release, John G. had all the gates opened in the boat tool to see what if any of the original 1963 Rayson Craft Trophy Series kit content might still be present.  Answer - virtually nothing except the parts that carried over for the 1968 "Hull Raiser" kit and its subsequent combo kit releases.     

Don't know about you guys, but I am sure looking forward to this one....TIM 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Now I can finally get my hands on the Aqua Rod and complete my AMT van collection! 

Ivo car is nice to see again, and I can build this and keep my original untouched! 

Besides decals and wheels, is the Aqua Rod any different from previous releases?