Model Cars Magazine Forum

Deteriorating Chrome

36 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

It almost looks like it was sprayed with something as there is a pattern but there is no residue left on any painted surfaces. 

I have had chrome react to vinyl tires before but never seen anything like that. 

It's in my shed where I build. The only thing I have sprayed in there is Odo-Ban, but I don't spray it up high where the shelf is. And I have other models on that shelf with chrome that is fine. 

It looks a lot to me like the model got misted with some sort of chemical solution that is removing the chrome.

This is exactly how kit chrome would look if you shot a very small mist of one of the lye based solutions that a lot of us to remove chrome.

One of the degreasing cleaners, like Super Clean, Simple Green, or Easy Off oven cleaner would probably give you the same affect.

Even something as benign as Wesley's "Bleche White", or ammonia will take chrome right off of plastic.

If you look at the pinned "removing chrome plating" thread in the Tips and Tricks section, you'll see that there are a thousand different ways to ruin your chrome.

I would say that it's extremely likely that the Odo-Ban that you're spraying has something in it that's creating the problem.

Active ingredients appear to be "Alkyl" and "Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride".

I don't like the sound of the ammonium chloride thing.

Every kit is different as far as the chrome goes.

Some are much thinner than others, which could explain why this one was affected, and others were not.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 2

As I see it, Steve hit hit the nail on the head.  Kit "chrome" is an atom-thick layer of aluminum.  Any acidic or base liquid can easily eat away that thin layer of aluminum.  It does look like something got sprayed accidentally on those models, and it affected the chrome. This might have happened some time ago.

I probably have not sprayed the Odo-Ban more than 3 times in the year it's been on the shelf. I only spray it because the shed is not climate controlled and gets a musky humid odor over time. I have several different models on the shelves and this is the only one affected. Nothing else has been sprayed in there. Could be the culprit though. Guess it's time to rebuild it, maybe with no chrome at all. 

3 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I probably have not sprayed the Odo-Ban more than 3 times in the year it's been on the shelf. I only spray it because the shed is not climate controlled and gets a musky humid odor over time. I have several different models on the shelves and this is the only one affected. Nothing else has been sprayed in there. Could be the culprit though. Guess it's time to rebuild it, maybe with no chrome at all. 

Maybe just the position or type of chrome but as Steven said one of the chemicals involved is Ammonium Chloride and this would chrome easily. Misting would explain my confusion on why it looked so much like a spray pattern but there was no visible residue on the painted parts. Also explains why the outer edges are worse than the backset parts of the wheels. 

My feeling is that if you have a high moisture level in your shed, that might also affect the chrome.

Dealing with a lot of vintage kits, I can tell you that I’ve seen a lot of chrome that’s all but completely gone from kits that appear to have been stored in very humid conditions for long periods of time.

The optimum solution would be to get your finished builds out of the shed and into a more climate controlled area, preferably inside of a clear acrylic case.

Steve

I think I can rule out the Odo-Ban. These parts were leftovers stored in a plastic container with other parts inside a cabinet. They were not exposed to the Odo-Ban. I don't think the moisture level is bad enough to affect it, there is no effect on any others in there and there is a lot of kits that have been there longer. I also have a damp rid container in there that does a great job of removing humidity. 

DSCN0304.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

I think I can rule out the Odo-Ban. These parts were leftovers stored in a plastic container with other parts inside a cabinet. They were not exposed to the Odo-Ban. I don't think the moisture level is bad enough to affect it, there is no effect on any others in there and there is a lot of kits that have been there longer. I also have a damp rid container in there that does a great job of removing humidity. 

DSCN0304.JPG

Might have been some sort of chemical that had gotten on the parts before the kit was built and there's some kind of delayed reaction happening?

At this point, who knows.

Chalk it up as a mystery.

Did you happen to have cleaned the parts with anything before assembly that might have been the culprit?

Steve

13 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I had the same thing happen when air freshener was sprayed in the room that had my kits on a shelf. I'm positive that the spray drifted onto them and damaged the chrome but not the paint.

Same here !  My finished models are in sealed cabinets but when air freshener was sprayed near my workbench it damaged all of the chrome parts the same way as the OP is showing . It also did some damage to freshly painted parts but not as severe , I was able to wipe them down and polish the spots out . Ever since then nothing ever gets sprayed anywhere near my workbench !

• Like 1