Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wacky Race Idea

MeatMan

Hey All, someone suggested for the 2023 CBR a Tom Daniel theme. I'd like to go a step further and suggest a Wacky Race, a race of wild customs dedicated to Tom Daniel, Gene Winfield, George Barris, and the like.

It could be a kit, scratchbuild, printed, or kitbash.

I was planning on building a wild custom some time next year so there is a bit of self interest involved but after seeing other posts I'm thinking there may be interest.

I'll run it if there's enough interest.

I love Show Rods and "Wacky" fantasy themed cars. Tom Daniels is a legend as well as Barris, Winfield, and Darrell Starbird... I'd be up for this build as a separate community build also. Although I'd have to narrow down my build choice, there are so many to choose from.  Something to think about for sure..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

To do a George Barris car, do we buy one already built and just add our name on the door and claim it as out original creation? 😈😉😁

Well, you gotta put some effort into the build. We would go with similar rules as the CBR in requiring no more than ~25% complete.

Now if you take a GB kit and make some changes to it to make it yours I'm all for that.

5 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Well, you gotta put some effort into the build. We would go with similar rules as the CBR in requiring no more than ~25% complete.

Now if you take a GB kit and make some changes to it to make it yours I'm all for that.

Um, Dennis, that was a wisecrack based on the fact that Barris was well known for buying custom cars built by other people, making minor changes like paint or wheels and sometime no mods at all and claiming them as he built them himself.

5 hours ago, MeatMan said:

I might through my X-acto into the ring. 

I have been known to build a custom or two but mine tend to be more to the Winfield/ D'agostino end of the spectrum then the Roth/ Daniel side.

IMG 2688

IMG 3147

150 5051

• Like 2

On 12/3/2022 at 10:32 AM, disconovaman said:

I love Show Rods and "Wacky" fantasy themed cars. Tom Daniels is a legend as well as Barris, Winfield, and Darrell Starbird... I'd be up for this build as a separate community build also. Although I'd have to narrow down my build choice, there are so many to choose from.  Something to think about for sure..

I could see this as a separate community build!

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

I might through my X-acto into the ring. 

I have been known to build a custom or two but mine tend to be more to the Winfield/ D'agostino end of the spectrum then the Roth/ Daniel side.

IMG 3147

As long as its closer to the Impala. I'd like to us to walk a bit more on the wild side but I'm flexible.

I kinda had an idea for the 63 Chevy II... I was trying to turn the wagon into a 4 door sedan. It started out going well  until I looked at reference photos online. I seen alot of body differences. I definitely regretted cutting it up without researching.

Now I'm thinking about using the custom parts from the kit and just continuing the build as a custom. Maybe someone took granny's wagon and chopped off the back of the roof because back then wagons weren't really the ideal choice to customize.

I'm gonna move forward with this none the less. I've already sacrificed enough to turn back. 

20221204_163415.jpg

Okay, so this looks like a go! We have enough folks on board for an initial start, and I expect a few to come on later.

Here is my outline of the scope. Feel free to offer any suggestions for change as I'll create a new thread for the contest with the final rules.

Wild & Wacky Custom Vehicle Race

Custom cars only, the wilder the better.

Can be a straight out of the box custom, kit bash, parts box build, rebuilder, or resin/printed kit/parts.

Previously started builds can be no more than 25% completed.

1/24 or 1/25 scale only.

The object is to have fun and be creative but it should at least look like it could driven as 1:1 on a back road, but does not have to be DOT legal by any means.

Curbsides are welcome as long as they don't conflict with the previous rules.

You must show your base kit or initial pile of parts. Custom builds change over the course of a build, so I expect some of us to make changes mid-build as long as you stick with the same body.

The contest will run from December 15, 2022 till December 31, 2023 unless otherwise agreed upon and you can enter multiple entries.

There will be no voting or official judging.

Anyone who wishes to create a thread in the WIP section of the forum are welcome to do so, just post a link in the contest thread each time you update your WIP thread. No need to post photos on both.

Okay, that's my two cents, or whatever that adds up to now.

Edited by MeatMan
Changed car to vehicle, multiple entries allowed

13 minutes ago, MeatMan said:

Okay, so this looks like a go! We have enough folks on board for an initial start, and I expect a few to come on later.

Here is my outline of the scope. Feel free to offer any suggestions for change as I'll create a new thread for the contest with the final rules.

Wild & Wacky Custom Car Race

Custom cars only, the wilder the better.

Can be a straight out of the box custom, kit bash, parts box build, rebuilder, or resin/printed kit/parts.

Previously started builds can be no more than 25% completed.

1/24 or 1/25 scale only.

The object is to have fun and be creative but it should at least look like it could driven as 1:1 on a back road, but does not have to be DOT legal by any means.

Curbsides are welcome as long as they don't conflict with the previous rules.

You must show your base kit or initial pile of parts. Custom builds change over the course of a build, so I expect some of us to make changes mid-build as long as you stick with the same body.

The contest will run from December 15, 2022 till December 31, 2023 unless otherwise agreed upon.

There will be no voting or official judging.

Anyone who wishes to create a thread in the WIP section of the forum are welcome to do so, just post a link in the contest thread each time you update your WIP thread. No need to post photos on both.

Okay, that's my two cents, or whatever that adds up to now.

is there an age limit for the vehicles? for example would some of the wild japanese kyusha cars be acceptable

1 minute ago, stitchdup said:

is there an age limit for the vehicles? for example would some of the wild japanese kyusha cars be acceptable

I hadn't thought of that but, no there is no age limit. If someone wants to wild out a C8, I say go for it.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 12/4/2022 at 10:45 PM, disconovaman said:

I kinda had an idea for the 63 Chevy II... I was trying to turn the wagon into a 4 door sedan. It started out going well  until I looked at reference photos online. I seen alot of body differences. I definitely regretted cutting it up without researching.

Now I'm thinking about using the custom parts from the kit and just continuing the build as a custom. Maybe someone took granny's wagon and chopped off the back of the roof because back then wagons weren't really the ideal choice to customize.

I'm gonna move forward with this none the less. I've already sacrificed enough to turn back. 

20221204_163415.jpg

I like your Nova, one of the local heroes had a red four door whit bean mag rims and a healty small block when I was a kid.

did you finish this, do you have any more pictures ??

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ulf said:

did you finish this, do you have any more pictures

I have not finished it.  It's currently  stalled out... I have so many projects to finish up and so many new ones are coming at me. This one was tough because I had a trailer and Drag car combo that I wanted to finish together. It just snowballed and I burnt out on it.