Model Cars Magazine Forum

Right-side up or Upside-down

Zippi

I put glasses, cups, etc in the cabinet upside-down and my wife likes them right-side up.   I'm old school as my grandmother use to always tell me to put them upside-down so the bugs, mice, etc. can't crawl around in them looking for food.  And yes, we all have bugs & mice in our houses.  Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there.  Just some food for thought.  How do you put your glasses in your cabinet?

Both ways. I bought a bunch of plastic cups from a restaurant supply store. They look like Pizza Hut cups (plastic 32oz glasses). Since they’re tapered, I stack two together and alternate, to make better use of cabinet space. 

Not really much of an issue here, as I only have two glasses and one cup in use, with everything else already packed to move.

Under normal circumstances I store most cup/glass things upside-down, pots/pans right side up, nested to save space. Plates and bowls right-side up too.

Golly gee whiz. Ain't social media wonderful, allowing me to share that with the world.

• Haha 1

Upside down, although they don’t sit around long enough to collect dust. There are probably microscopic bugs all over the place but ingesting them is likely healthy. There are no mice in the house or my detached garage that I keep a heater in all winter. I have a couple of traps in there baited with peanut butter and have never caught one.

Edited by NOBLNG

43 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

...I have a couple of traps in there baited with peanut butter and have never caught one.

That could just mean you have very smart rodent friends. I was getting them in the house again a few weeks back, PB-baited traps were useless; they'd just lick it off without springing the traps.

I went to sausage that had always worked in the past, and they were knawing it off the pressure pads, again without springing the traps, as they were coming in from the sides.

I next tried small pieces of hollow chicken bones packed with a PB/sausage mix, and got a couple catches when they tried to pull the bone off the pressure pads.

Finally found the hot setup: glooing on pressure-pad extensions that stuck out laterally, so the little buggers would trip them if they came in from the sides.

Bingo. What a great feeling of superiority, knowing I'm smarter than rats.   ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Thanks 1

Interesting we're talking mouse traps as I've a little bugger that did just that... licked off the peanut butter without springing the trap. I've adjusted the holder thingy so it's more sensitive now. I'll see how that werx otherwise I'm gonna try your method and 'gloo' some extenders on it.

And to stay on topic, Upside Down!

Edited by Raoul Ross
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, espo said:

I wish they still sold the Dicon cardboard wedges with the really deadly green stuff inside. The stuff on the market now doesn't seem to even give then heartburn. 

That reminds me I gotta go set some more of those sticky traps. I think they figured out the old-fashioned one's years ago. 

5 hours ago, espo said:

I wish they still sold the Dicon cardboard wedges with the really deadly green stuff inside. The stuff on the market now doesn't seem to even give then heartburn. 

The problem with poisons is that rodents don't always die where they ingest the stuff.

So wild predators and scavengers are needlessly killed when they eat the poisoned rats and mice.

I'm pretty sure that's what happened to many of the herd of feral cats I was feeding...friendly, intelligent animals that did a great job of keeping my pest problem in check, naturally.

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The problem with poisons is that rodents don't always die where they ingest the stuff.

So wild predators and scavengers are needlessly killed when they eat the poisoned rats and mice.

I'm pretty sure that's what happened to many of the herd of feral cats I was feeding...friendly, intelligent animals that did a great job of keeping my pest problem in check, naturally.

I agree that could be a problem depending on the circumstances. The time that I used the old style Dicon was over twenty years ago. We purchased a new home and our builder along with a couple of others had displaced many woodland creatures. The area had been used for cattle grazing with a stream running thru it, and little else. When they started building these new homes many animals, mice included lost their habitat. The mice were trying to get a safe place to nest. They got as far as the garage where they would find the Dicon. I would find their dehydrated bodies along the baseboards inside the garage. The old style Dicon seemed to work quickly as I was cleaning out their little furry bodies weekly. This went on for a couple of months before it just seemed to stop. My new neighbors all had much the same problem as well. The produce that I can buy now is not as powerful as the old one and that is why I was lamenting that is was no longer available. 

Lot of interesting responses.  Now I know you ole boys remember these from back in the day.  My grandmother used to keep the washer in the garage (no door and a rock & grass floor) covered up with a blanket.  When it was wash day she would drag it out in the back yard where the cloths line was and start scrubbing and washing.  she used to let me put the cloths in the wringer.  I wasn't tall enough to hang the cloths up but I would hand her the wooden cloths pens.  

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

il_794xN.2157395363_rtce.jpg

abandoned-car-24526905.jpg

6 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Now I know you ole boys remember these from back in the day.

s-l500.jpg

My younger brother (who wasn’t supposed to go near it) managed to get his fingers in the wringer. Good thing Mom was nearby and quickly hit the release bar.😳

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

My younger brother (who wasn’t supposed to go near it) managed to get his fingers in the wringer. Good thing Mom was nearby and quickly hit the release bar.😳

Ouch....I came close a couple time.  

My friend's family had one of those old timey clothes washing machines. He claimed his mother would only use these types of washers. She was from "Up country" and only knew the old-fashioned way. She used to say warsh instead of wash. They used to go all over creation to find these machines until nobody made them anymore.

Back to how your crockery is stored on the shelf. There seems to be a fear that if say a cup or drinking glass is stored upright some bug or small furry critter is going to crawl inside. On the other hand, with all this foot traffic on the shelf, storing something upside down would put the edge where your mouth would be when drinking, where these dirty little feet have been walking about.