Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 68 Mustang GT 2n1 kit

SteveG

I've sent an email to Revell regarding the '67 interior in the '68 Mustang GT.

And suggest those that read this, do the same.

They should have the correct '68 interior as it was in the Bullett Die Cast.

Does the new plastic Bullett car have the '67 or correct '68 interior??

The plastic version of the '68 Bullitt kit has the same interior as the GT. The diecast Bullitt kit is the only one that has the "more correct" interior, it's still not totally correct either as one of the rear seat cushions (I forget which one) still has the 67 pattern. That's as close as you'll get though with the Revell tooling.

Feel free to contact Revell but I was recently told by a very reliable source that Revell has already heard about the issue and is now looking into how it happened. Beyond that I don't have any answers but at least we now know they got the message.

-Steve

The floor pan has the '68 rear seat pattern molded in. The seat back is a '67. This is the same in the DieCast '68 Bullett Mustang.

Which leads me to believe there are molds for 2 sets of interiors.

I was in touch with Revell and the person i talked to said the mix up was in China and they would look into what could be done.

I still suggest emailing Revell and voicing opinions. I paid $24.oo Canadian and was expecting the '68 interior.

I hope Revell can fix this issue. I know alot of people who are weekend builders will never know but I would like a correct 68 interior. to make me happy Revell needs too offer a correct interior for people who already bought the kit. I'll even pay for them if Revell can make it happen, as long as its under $10 including shipping.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Here's the interior from the one I built.  I think I had to correct the upper section of the back seat, not shown here. That was a long time ago so I don't remember for sure.    I added the Automatic shifter, that I remember.  

2vhqDcA8xvL75L.jpg

And here's my finished version.....

2vhdyf6LxvL75L.jpg

2vhdy6cgxvL75L.jpg

2vhdyDoDxvL75L.jpg

2vhdykPCxvL75L.jpg

I added the Automatic Trans too as this was built as a replica of my friends 1:1 car.  All things considered I think it builds into a nice model. 

Steve

Edited by SteveG

On 2/17/2018 at 8:11 PM, Carmak said:

Is it possible to tell from the box art which kits have the correct interior?

I just picked up another one and yes you can. Newer issue is top box and older issue is below. The new box is also dated 2011 and has a few differences on the box. Mainly the Ford licensing is now only on one side. Lid now has the yellow box on it.

The newer issue has the 68 interior but still has the 67 back seat upper 1/2. Also the decals were not fixed. The black C stripe still has the bold door section but white are still good.

E3D17944-79DF-4BFD-9785-B44EA51C96A1.jpeg

06FFB502-D2AB-4752-997A-672A7365F3C2.jpeg

471D08EC-7C43-472E-B6E1-FDAF2459E0A9.jpeg

8E707D70-2584-4053-BA0A-FF21F6C038FB.jpeg

Interesting that you got the older box with the updated packet in it.

The 67 seat pattern is horizontal ribbs with a chrome medallion. 68 is vertical ribbs. Upper half of rear seat is 67 but lower half is 68. It stands out but kit comes with folded down option that hides seat. So not really a big deal and not to difficult to rescribe if you want to.

The rear seat seat back is still a problem. That's the one thing they did not update. The rear seat seat back is still the one for the '67 Mustang Interior Decor Option. Horizontal pleats, and the medallions. The rest of the interior is correct for the '68 standard interior. Including the rear seat, seat bottom. There is one other thing incorrect in the interior. The dashboard has the Stewart Warner gauges, oil pressure and amperes, mounted under the radio. As seen as standard equipment on the '67 Shelby Mustangs. 

Are these two things major problems for me? No. I'd prefer if the correct rear seat seat back was there. But, will it be really seen in the built kit? I'm not sure. The Shelby gauge setup? Not correct. But, on a car without a console like this one, I might consider adding it on the real car. So again, not a big deal for me. It should be noted, that if those gauges are a big deal. They can easily be removed from the model's dashboard. The solution to the rear seat seat cushion is not an easy fix. But, I live with it. 

Edited by unclescott58