Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1980 Ford Bronco Reissue.

martinfan5

• martinfan5 changed the title to MPC 1980 Ford Bronco Reissue.
10 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Interesting....the most recent reissue was an '82 w/ the revised grille.  Backdated to the '80 style? 

Which one was the '82?

Nevermind, it was the Dust Devil version released in '82.

Edited by martinfan5

8 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Interesting....the most recent reissue was an '82 w/ the revised grille.  Backdated to the '80 style? 

Good point, I didn't notice that! The most recent AMT version was actually labeled an '81 (though with the '82+ grille), so I wonder if they will give it the original grille or just leave it the newer one.

AMT-38567-2.jpg?v-cache=1598303106

1 minute ago, martinfan5 said:

Which one was the '82?

Looks like the MPC Dust Devil was labeled an '82 by some sellers.

MPC-446-2.jpg?v-cache=1598303106

Edited by Jordan White

12 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Good point, I didn't notice that! The most recent AMT version was actually labeled an '81 (though with the '82+ grille), so I wonder if they will give it the original grille or just leave it the newer one.

AMT-38567-2.jpg?v-cache=1598303106

Looks like the MPC Dust Devil was labeled an '82 by some sellers.

Oh right, that was the last version of it to be reissued,  missed it when looking it up as I only looked under MPC, doh!

Just now, martinfan5 said:

Oh right, that was the last version of it to be reissued,  missed it when looking it up as I only looked under MPC, doh!

I have that one and that was the one I was thinking of, forgot it was labeled as an AMT.   I think I have the Ridge Runner and Saddle Trap versions also in my offsite storage.  MPC w/ their naming and 'colorful' 80s boxes...

Edited by Rob Hall

So this is the MPC tool? What is the other one just reissued, the AMT? I have the Hobby Exclusive issue. Which came with the Cougar Funny kit? Sorry, had a 79 I towed race cars with, need one to do it, didn’t pay close attention I guess. Sorry for stupid questions, the 70’s-80’s was my hiatus. 

52 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

The one just reissued is the '78 Bronco from MPC, the same kit is the one that came with the Cougar and trailer, and was released by Model King. That one is the one you want for a 2nd gen Bronco build. The kit in this thread is of the third generation ('80-'86).

The '78 is an AMT kit.  The '80-82 was MPC.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, keyser said:

So this is the MPC tool? What is the other one just reissued, the AMT? I have the Hobby Exclusive issue. Which came with the Cougar Funny kit? Sorry, had a 79 I towed race cars with, need one to do it, didn’t pay close attention I guess. Sorry for stupid questions, the 70’s-80’s was my hiatus. 

The AMT is a '78.  Different generation than the MPC '80-82.   The AMT '78 came w/ the Cougar Funny Car kit...the Hobby Exclusive kit was the MPC '82 (though the box art inexplicably said AMT and '81). 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Right, I keep mixing up which kits were originally MPC and which were AMT!

..and AMT always made things confusing by sometimes rebranding MPC kits as an AMT.  Like the last issue of the '82 Bronco, was boxed as an AMT and said '81. 

Edited by Rob Hall