Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1996 Chevrolet C3500 Dually Pickup Truck (Snap) ("New Tool")

martinfan5

4 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

If it's the one I have, it has no engine. Basically a nice unassembled promo. but the hood comes off and you can add an engine.

It’s a new tool, you have the previous one that was curbside. Steve G said those promos and kits were jobbed out, R2 does not have the tools. 

16 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Steve, is there any chance of updating the interior in the future to the '98-'99 dash with the passenger airbag? Also, I know you may not be able to answer this, but is there any possibility of the '95/'96 Tahoe returning anytime soon?

The '97-'98 dash was done in the promos. Which is actually incorrect for the dually as the passenger side airbag wasn't required in the 2500 or 3500 and so they just had storage there.

Also, if you notice the mirrors: those are S-10 units that curiously were used in the promos but only on the C1500 in South America...

16 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Steve, is there any chance of updating the interior in the future to the '98-'99 dash with the passenger airbag? Also, I know you may not be able to answer this, but is there any possibility of the '95/'96 Tahoe returning anytime soon?

The '97-'98 dash was done in the promos. Which is actually incorrect for the dually as the passenger side airbag wasn't required in the 2500 or 3500 and so they just had storage there.

Also, if you notice the mirrors: those are S-10 units that curiously were used in the promos but only on the C1500 in South America...

1 hour ago, Fabrux said:

Not sure if the actual trucks were different, but it looks like in the 1998 brochure, the passenger airbags were standard for all trucks starting that year. Also, I forgot that 1997 was the first year they had them available.

I have a bunch of these old duallies in the stash and can't wait to grab a couple of the new ones.

I have two of the metallic green promo duallies. Plus a few of the metallic red snap kits. And a few of the custom GMC duallie in white.

Would love to find one of the original canopies/toppers that came with the kits. 

I have the cowl induction hood from whatever issue had it. I got a stepside kit at a garage sale and it was inside the box. 

7 hours ago, PintoKING said:

Will the "extended" fenders on the dually bed will be molded-on, or will they be separate?

It would be nice to have those separate, so as to be able to build a "regular" 8-foot bed.

On the 1:1 the bedsides are cut out to accommodate the larger tires, so I'm thinking probably not. Might be able to use the bed from the monster truck. 

5 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I have the cowl induction hood from whatever issue had it. I got a stepside kit at a garage sale and it was inside the box. 

The cowl hood is from the custom phantom dually version.

AMT-8943-2.jpg?v-cache=1598303106

Funny enough, I also got a cowl hood in an opened stepside kit, albeit mine was from eBay.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Was that released in one of the plain white boxes?  I don't recall seeing it as a kit.

Yes, it was a promo in a white box.  I think I've listed all of the plastic promotionals.  Brookfield Collectors Guild made diecast Suburbans, so you might want to check those out too.

1988-1990 C-1500 standard cab

1991-1992 Silverado Sportside

1993-1995 C-1500 extended cab

1996 C-3500 Dooley

• Like 1

Excellent! This is exciting news. I’m very much looking forward to it.

I’ve had an AAM crew cab dually in the stash for, well, let’s see…30 years, along with a 454 ss. This new release will most likely supply some (better) parts to complete it. 

19 hours ago, keyser said:

It’s a new tool, you have the previous one that was curbside. Steve G said those promos and kits were jobbed out, R2 does not have the tools. 

If that's true, how did AMT do the Phantom Dually snap kit with the pro street wheels and tires along with the GMC grille?

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

That was one of the snap kits. They all were released around the same time.  

The promos and the snap phantom dually have the exact same cab, bed and interior. The differences are the rolled pan, smooth bumper, grille, hood and chassis plate. The Phantom Dually actually has the chassis plate from the C1500.

14 hours ago, keyser said:

Didn’t they do a 6’ 1500 promo too? Long and short boxes both? Thought I’ve seen one, white or black, not 454. 

Yes. I have an all white reg cab shortbox, non 454SS promo, as well as an all black reg cab longbox.

Plus an all red reg cab longbox, and an all white reg cab stepside. 

And that painted Brickyard 400 shortbox as well.

There may very well be more colours, but they made the reg cab 1500s in all of the available configurations.

I think extended cabs were only ever made in longbox, both single and dual rear wheel.

Unfortuantely, no crewcabs.

A few years ago, there was a site called motorbids.com

It was basically ebay but only for automotive parts and merch. I bought a ridiculous amount of promo kits and other kits on there for cheap. A lot of the promos were under $10 each. Picked up a lot of normal kits for under $10 as well. Went a long way to expanding my CHev/GMC OBS collection!

Wish it was still around.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Yes. I have an all white reg cab shortbox, non 454SS promo, as well as an all black reg cab longbox.

Plus an all red reg cab longbox, and an all white reg cab stepside. 

And that painted Brickyard 400 shortbox as well.

There may very well be more colours, but they made the reg cab 1500s in all of the available configurations.

I think extended cabs were only ever made in longbox, both single and dual rear wheel.

Unfortuantely, no crewcabs.

A few years ago, there was a site called motorbids.com

It was basically ebay but only for automotive parts and merch. I bought a ridiculous amount of promo kits and other kits on there for cheap. A lot of the promos were under $10 each. Picked up a lot of normal kits for under $10 as well. Went a long way to expanding my CHev/GMC OBS collection!

Wish it was still around.

, , And if you happen to have the parts, you can put the extended cab and short box on the longbox chassis to make something like this,,

1994 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic Cars for Sale - Classics on Autotrader

Purchase used 1994 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado TKZ Extended Cab Pickup 2-Door  5.7L in Chula Vista, California, United States, for US $4,500.00

or use the stepside box and make something like this,, 

1992 Chevrolet C1500 Sportside Pickup for sale on BaT Auctions - closed on  March 10, 2020 (Lot #28,876) | Bring a Trailer

Pin by Alan Braswell on Chevy trucks | Chevy trucks silverado, Chevrolet  trucks silverado, Custom chevy trucks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

, , And if you happen to have the parts, you can put the extended cab and short box on the longbox chassis to make something like this,,

1994 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic Cars for Sale - Classics on Autotrader

Purchase used 1994 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado TKZ Extended Cab Pickup 2-Door  5.7L in Chula Vista, California, United States, for US $4,500.00

or use the stepside box and make something like this,, 

1992 Chevrolet C1500 Sportside Pickup for sale on BaT Auctions - closed on  March 10, 2020 (Lot #28,876) | Bring a Trailer

Pin by Alan Braswell on Chevy trucks | Chevy trucks silverado, Chevrolet  trucks silverado, Custom chevy trucks 

I'll need a bunch of these kits because I want to build all of these and some others too.

• Like 1