Model Cars Magazine Forum

HPI Guy builds the New Supra!

stavanzer

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I wouldn't have thought there was enough demand for this kit to be reissued. They went for about the same money, sometimes less, than a current kit on ebay. 

Fresh Decals, No tire melt on the glass, and white plastic. I think it is a great Idea. And, if sold at Hooby Looby, it showcases this kit to three generations of buyers who may not have ever seen it, or knew it existed. With Supra's always being in demand in the 1-to-1 World, no better time to have one on the shelf.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Fresh Decals, No tire melt on the glass, and white plastic. I think it is a great Idea. And, if sold at Hooby Looby, it showcases this kit to three generations of buyers who may not have ever seen it, or knew it existed. With Supra's always being in demand in the 1-to-1 World, no better time to have one on the shelf.

Good chrome and no tinted glass! Haha

Edited by Hondamatic
  • Like 3

On 12/7/2022 at 9:18 PM, stavanzer said:

Nobody under 35 wants a A67 lol, the cool supras start at A70

3 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Plus the Tamiya MkII kit has been routinely available in the intervening years and while it's a curbside it's also in the "right" scale for tuner builders and from a brand they know and trust. 

Yeaaaaaah you might know and trust Tamiya, but if you're not up on that kit's history that's gonna be a mighty big box of motorized toy disappointment. Also not counting it's reissue back when the new "BMW Supra" kit was released it had been out of the catalog - at least in it's U.S. Spec "Long Beach Grand Prix Marshal" boxing for quite awhile. That kit sits around and doesn't move very well precisely because it's as much a wild pile of dreck as the Aoshima/IMAI and Fujimi Celica XX kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yeaaaaaah you might know and trust Tamiya, but if you're not up on that kit's history that's gonna be a mighty big box of motorized toy disappointment. Also not counting it's reissue back when the new "BMW Supra" kit was released it had been out of the catalog - at least in it's U.S. Spec "Long Beach Grand Prix Marshal" boxing for quite awhile. That kit sits around and doesn't move very well precisely because it's as much a wild pile of dreck as the Aoshima/IMAI and Fujimi Celica XX kits.

Oh I'm fully aware that the Tamiya represents a different breed of "problems of is age" to the MPC kit. However, it's more a matter of public perception versus facts of contents. 

Of course, personally speaking I most want a MkI Celica Supra in a nice 1/24th curbside kit so that's my side of things. lol

On 12/8/2022 at 12:18 AM, stavanzer said:

Maybe. But, in all of the wish list threads posted over the years, I can't recall this kit ever being mentioned. It's like answering a question that wasn't asked. 

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Maybe. But, in all of the wish list threads posted over the years, I can't recall this kit ever being mentioned. It's like answering a question that wasn't asked. 

I, for one, was calling for its reissue. I seem to remember that fellow fan of the kit, @tim boyd, hinted at its reissue a couple of years ago. 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

I, for one, was calling for its reissue. I seem to remember that fellow fan of the kit, @tim boyd, hinted at its reissue a couple of years ago. 

Several years ago I had recommended to Round 2 that they search out the tool and reissue this kit.  I recall the feedback at time, being, of course, non-committal.  In any case, sure happy to see it back.  Still one of MPC's best-ever efforts IMHO.   TB 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lownslow said:

Of course I am in no position to comment on the interests of car and model enthusiasts just about half my age, but my "car guy" gene tells me that a kit that builds (with relatively minor mods) something that looks this cool would pass the appeal test no matter what the age of the observer.  ( Or not...!)  TB   PS.  More pix here...

DSC 0206

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There’s a lot of people out there that don’t  know about this kit, nor post in the reissue posts, Roger. 

R2 has a complete tool they paid for, so using it pays for itself, and funds other stuff. Also brings back a kit from an era I completely missed. 

The Mk 3/4/5 are way beyond affordability in 1:1 world, Mk2 is actually coming along. Glad it’s back. 

I’m way over 35, but these were cool, as were the Celicas. Great rally cars, Pro-Am cars, and fat tires and flares pretty cool dead stock. 

I mean this kit hasn't been reissued since 1985...I find it hard to believe it's very common outside of vendors who'd pass on it thinking it worthless the same way all Japanese cars are. Lord knows I've picked up enough Tamiya kits over the years from people who just wanted to rid their stand of some icky Furrin' plastic with no real understanding (or care) of what the potential value really is...

I for one haven't seen one of these kits locally for less than $40. So picking it up brand new freshy-fresh for $28 works for me...even if it is the "wrong" scale.

Also another vote (again) for a 1st Gen Supra

Is it just me, or is this kit kind of an anomaly in the MPC catalogue? Given the level of detail and accuracy of the typical MPC kits of this era (and the preceding era), this kit is leaps and bounds above (levers on steering column, for an instance).

I wonder if this kit's design was originally of Tamiya or Hasegawa origin? Maybe @tim boydcould provide some insight?

MPC cranked out some nice stuff around then. The 86-87 late Fiero kits were quite detailed as well. I hated the early notchback cars, but always liked the late V6’s. Great sounding cars too. I bought one a couple years ago, kit was from my hiatus years. 
Really nice detail, fit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Is it just me, or is this kit kind of an anomaly in the MPC catalogue? Given the level of detail and accuracy of the typical MPC kits of this era (and the preceding era), this kit is leaps and bounds above (levers on steering column, for an instance).

I wonder if this kit's design was originally of Tamiya or Hasegawa origin? Maybe @tim boydcould provide some insight?

I don't have any insider info on this, but MPC was already doing some really nice kits at this point in their corporate existence.  At that point in time, the Japanese kits were still designed around electric motors and not even close to American kit detail (IIRC, the Tamiya Mercedes 500 SEC kit was the first full detail Japanese assembly kit, and it was first issued around 1984...followed a couple of years later by Hasegawa with their Jaguar XJ-S kits, and soon thereafter by the Fujimi Enthusiast Series kits.  (If I'm wrong on the timing here, I'm sure one of our more knowledgeable board members will set us straight...)....TB

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

I don't have any insider info on this, but MPC was already doing some really nice kits at this point in their corporate existence.  At that point in time, the Japanese kits were still designed around electric motors and not even close to American kit detail (IIRC, the Tamiya Mercedes 500 SEC kit was the first full detail Japanese assembly kit, and it was first issued around 1984...followed a couple of years later by Hasegawa with their Jaguar XJ-S kits, and soon thereafter by the Fujimi Enthusiast Series kits.  (If I'm wrong on the timing here, I'm sure one of our more knowledgeable board members will set us straight...)....TB

Remember the release of the Tamiya MB and the Hasegawa Jag, they also did a few Ferrari's.... fun times

On 12/8/2022 at 11:36 PM, Lownslow said:

I'd be willing to bet, that a lot of Model Builders will want this kit.

Round2 does their homework, on sales, and this kit is pretty sharp.

Just wish it had some wider tires. The ones in the (while the same as the original kit) look too small to my eyes.