Model Cars Magazine Forum

2023 Cannonball Run-What-You-Brung Build Thread

White Rabbit

267247064_Cannonball-Logo-Copy.jpg.0d25e62ec9fe74c9ece5e986b909ba66.jpg

Cannonball Run 2023

Welcome Cannonballers to the 16th Annual Cannonball Run Community build!

The Cannonball Run Community is proud to present this year’s Cannonball Run theme:

Run-What-You-Brung

This year’s build is classic Cannonball!

The original 1:1 Cannonball had few restrictions, if any. Brock Yates’ impetus to begin the race was in response to the imposition of the 55mph speed limit. Brock set out to prove that skilled drivers in competent vehicles could indeed traverse the American interstate system at high speeds, safely. He proved this in 1971 as he and Dan Gurney won the race in a Ferrari GTB/4 Daytona.

Therefore, the build is open to all street-legal cars and trucks of any year.

Rules and Guidelines

Vehicle Guidelines

A. Vehicles must be street legal. They should include headlights, taillights, license plates, etc. Effectively, a vehicle that could be registered with the DMV.

B. All body types welcomed: coupe, sedan, van, truck, etc.

C. All vehicle years accepted: 1903-2023.

D. Engines should be production-based. Any type of car and/or truck engine that was/is available to the public is permissible: internal combustion, both piston and rotary; hybrid and pure electric (EV).

E. All drivetrains allowed: RWD, AWD/4-WD, FWD

F. Modifications to the vehicles are welcomed and encouraged. 

1. Modifications should be realistic to keep with the spirit of the race.

Race Guidelines

A. The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A re-builder or parts box special is acceptable. 1/24 or 1/25. If you absolutely must do a 1/20 model we’ll likely bend the rules as we have before, but that’s the limit.

EXCEPTION TO RULE 1. If you have a previously started racer from a previous running of the Cannonball (SA or MCM) 50% complete or less, they are eligible to run this year as long as they meet the theme requirement. All of our previous runs are still available on either of the two forums. If you are going to do this, please be certain it was involved in a previous run. We will continue to implement  this rule each year, as the goal of this CBP was always to get people building and finishing models.

B. Before starting please post a photo of your kit(s) or pile o’ parts. No limitation on type of vehicle or technology used. 

C. If for any reason you plan a build and wish to declare another entry in place of, you may do so at any time prior to the 48hrs. deadline. (please see important dates below)

D. Above all, have fun!

That’s it for rules. The following is just FYI:

-You may start a separate build thread for your build if you wish, but please keep the CBP thread updated.

-Build time begins on January 1st, 2023, local time and ends at 11:59PM on December 1st, 2023, local time. That’s a total of eleven months!

-After the finish, we will create a poll and we’ll have the “race”, a public vote.

-The finished builds thread will begin on November 14th so that you may post your completed vehicles. The final voting poll will based from this thread. Good quality photos are essential to best showcase your hard work. No one has won this with poor photos in poor lighting.

-You may build as many models as you wish for this CBP, but only one can be entered in the finished builds thread and public voting poll prior to December 3rd.

-You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date of December 1st.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say thank you to Disconovaman for allowing me the privilege of moderating this year’s event! I’m truly excited for this year’s run and hope that everyone is as well!

Important Dates: 2023

January 1st, 12:00am: Official build start of the 2023 Cannonball Run

November 14th, 12:00am: Finished build thread opens

November 29th, 11:59pm: Last day to enter the CBR build

December 1st, 11:59pm: Official build end

December 3rd, 12:00am: Polling to elect a winner opens

December 16th, 11.59pm: Polling closes

December 17th: 2023 Winner announced

With all that being said, it’s time for all you scofflaws to take this year’s run and make it your own!

Edited by White Rabbit
addition
  • Like 2

This is Highway patrolman Williams of the Ohio State Police. I have taken over this fellers account for now.  I want you to know that we in Ohio have no tolerance for speeders. So all you scofflaws and law breakers. Come race time we will be ready for you.

• Haha 1

Excellent, thanks Enzo (and Anthony too, of course).

Currently undecided whether to go with last year's pretty-much-unstarted birth year build, or the idea I had the other day when there was a chance it might have been a wagon theme this year.

I'll make use of the Christmas holiday to work something out....

I have narrowed my build down to a tri five Chevy, I don’t have an idea of how I want to build it but I do know I want to build a 55,56,57 Chevy (I think I’m leaning toward the 56) but I’ll have to see what kit I can find first and maybe if I can actually finish one in a decent amount of time I’ll try building all three. 
6AD6CCAE-AEC2-4D7C-B68A-B861A11FE79B.jpeg.abe04e481ae53973cafe94a12445b39b.jpeg

93437072-4A98-42B4-B295-0302CB1A55ED.jpeg.d82df728db9a4ce8856d7fd34c801acf.jpeg

12C6C0C8-CEBA-4044-BD08-73E97BC66A19.jpeg.66751978b6dfb1b124df6513c58dbd53.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 426 pack said:

I have narrowed my build down to a tri five Chevy, I don’t have an idea of how I want to build it but I do know I want to build a 55,56,57 Chevy (I think I’m leaning toward the 56) but I’ll have to see what kit I can find first and maybe if I can actually finish one in a decent amount of time I’ll try building all three. 

93437072-4A98-42B4-B295-0302CB1A55ED.jpeg.d82df728db9a4ce8856d7fd34c801acf.jpeg

It's probably weird but the 56's have grown on me to the point its my favorite of the 3... and this one just looks plain mean!

I'm in again.

My entry is the AMT Monza 2+2. I'll be swapping out he SBC for a Cosworth Vega engine with a turbo.

I was originally going to build a Euro-spec Monza but I'll go this route with some of the Euro-spec changes I was planning. Should be  a fun build.

IMG_20221212_131955948.jpg

Already some good ideas being posted! As others have said, this Cannonball is a good opportunity to complete previous unfinished entries. And for those still undecided, this time until January 1st, is a great opportunity to brainstorm ideas and research for the upcoming build. And remember, you can build as many vehicles as you like and then simply choose your favorite as your final entry into the race.

18 hours ago, Jantrix said:

@White Rabbit

Enzo,

You are the 5th moderator of this gathering of scofflaws and degenerates, since we began this CBP so many years ago, and Anthony was by-far the best of us. I'm sure you'll do fine. I look forward to the 2023 run. 

Hello Rob!

Thank you for your kind words! I'm truly honored to have the chance to moderate the Cannonball! I've loved the race since I was child and even more so today. Anthony did a great job and has entrusted me with continuing this great tradition. I will certainly do my best to ensure that this years CBR runs smoothly and is enjoyable for all. Furthermore, this is a community build, so I welcome everyone's feedback on how the run is progressing and for improvements along the way.

The fact that the CBR is entering its 16th year says a lot about those who have moderated them. It also says a lot about the enthusiasm of all the builders who have participated and allowed the run to be successful. I'm hopeful that this year's run will see strong participation and, with this year's theme, a wide array of different and interesting builds.

Thank you again to Anthony and to all the Cannonballers! Let's make the 2023 Cannonball one to remember!

Edited by White Rabbit
typo
  • Like 4

Oh my...

I was just just getting ready to start a build...wouldn't be too hard to return the headlights, taillights, and license plates to my original idea.

I also have a build that the body is the only thing touched. (Painted)

I could do what I did with the Chevelle and tear down this old Mustang I have sitting around falling apart.

Or break open a brand new kit...ANOTHER...brand new kit that is.

It will take me six months just to figure out which one... 😃 

Okay, I think I'm in this thing. My building time isn't great so I'm going to do one that's a Cannonballer right out of the box. Speed, reliability, handling, and style. Zero mods.

Pencil me in with a Lindberg 1937 Ford Custom Convertible.

Lindberg 1937 Ford Custom Convertible 1:24 Scale Model Kit #HL129 | eBay

Edited by Jantrix
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Okay, I think I'm in this thing. My building time isn't great so I'm going to do one that's a Cannonballer right out of the box. Speed, reliability, handling, and style. Zero mods.

Pencil me in with a Lindberg 1937 Ford Custom Convertible.

Lindberg 1937 Ford Custom Convertible 1:24 Scale Model Kit #HL129 | eBay

Great to have you in the race! I'm looking forward to the end result!

• Thanks 1

My provisional entry to the Cannonball will be the Delorean DMC-12. However, it is certainly not going to be a straightforward build as the only kit available (at least as I could find) of the Delorean is the Back to the Future version. Mine is the offer from Aoshima and is quite a nice kit; even if I'm only going to be using a small amount of it.

The main work is going to focus around the engine. The original DMC-12 uses a rear-mounted V6; a similar set-up to a Porsche 911. This is great for packaging, but I'm not a fan of having all the engine weight behind the rear axle line. The challenge here is the Y-frame as the engine, realistically, can only be oriented in this manner so that the transmission fits into the narrow part of the Y. But, it seems that, in the real world, some builders have modified this to fit V8s and EV conversions. There is one that has been converted to a front-engine, rear-drive configuration. Therefore, with real-life precedents set, I will be attempting to convert the car into a mid engine layout. This, of course, creates its own challenges, especially the transmission/transaxle and its location relative to the rear wheels. The potential solution that I've found is in the Ferrari Testarossa that uses a flat-12 engine with a unique transmission and transaxle that may just give me enough room fit the engine. That's the plan...Hopefully, if all goes well, the car should be the DMC-H12.

20221220_103141_HDR.thumb.jpg.a20aa1806ac52d9d1a2878bcab4c1646.jpg

20221222_155957_HDR.thumb.jpg.da6e73b1e90d221889b0d02eb996ef5f.jpg 

Edited by White Rabbit
  • Like 2