Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Hemi Cuda in Gold Metallic, 1/24 Scale.

Dragonhawk1066

My next project is the Revell 1971 Hemi Cuda. This one will be painted in Sapphire Blue Metallic to match the first pic. I had already started it a few weeks ago before building the 1969 Chevelle. I did the usual trimming, sanding and panel line deepening before a Dawn dishwater bath. I'm a little put off by the way the front ends of this and the '70 Challenger T/A front ends attach, but built one of each already without addressing that issue. With this one I decided to see what I could do to correct the front end and also the headlights, which are spaced too far apart on each side. I saw someone else in this forum do the same fixes (I can't remember who though), which inspired me to do the same. The first thing I did was to use some Tamiya Tape as a guide for scribing the accurate front panel line. It's not the greatest, but it'll do.

12-1512656020327@2x.jpg

IMG_1377.JPEG

IMG_1229.JPEG

IMG_1230.JPEG

IMG_1231.JPEG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Like 1

My next step was to fill in the inside headlights in order to re-drill new ones closer to each other. I cut a couple pieces of .010" sheet styrene to cover the holes from the inside. Then I used a hole punch to cut out several circles to fill in the space. Three on each side pretty much did the trick, followed by some "sprue goo" as a filler. Some quick sanding and a coat of primer to see where I'm at, and not too bad. Probably some more sanding and then the scary part of drilling new holes in the correct spot, lol. The next step was to glue the front end piece onto the body. I did one side at a time to line everything up correctly. I applied more "sprue goo" along the seam and sanded it down after it dried. A coat of primer shows it looking pretty good.

IMG_1232.JPEG

IMG_1233.JPEG

IMG_1234.JPEG

IMG_1235.JPEG

IMG_1253.JPEG

IMG_1251.JPEG

IMG_1252.JPEG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get the primer on all of the oarts today. Stynylrez Black for the black parts. I didn't want to use white for the body because I wanted to see any imperfections, and the gray is a little darker than I wanted for the primer coat. I ended up mixing some of the Stynylrez Gray into some Stynylrez White for the light gray. Hopefully I can get the parts painted tomorrow, followed by the body on Saturday.

IMG_1382.JPEG

IMG_1383.JPEG

IMG_1384.JPEG

IMG_1385.JPEG

IMG_1387.JPEG

• Like 2

I would like to suggest spending a little time reworking the rear valance and exhaust tips.  I sanded the valance panel smooth, enlarged the openings and made new exhaust tips from aluminium tubing.  You build is looking good!

34003.JPG

HEMI03.JPG

Edited by mrmike

7 hours ago, mrmike said:

I would like to suggest spending a little time reworking the rear valance and exhaust tips.  I sanded the valance panel smooth, enlarged the openings and made new exhaust tips from aluminium tubing.  You build is looking good!

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't have any aluminum tubing or anything else for the exhaust tips, so they'll likely stay as kitted, although yours look pretty good!

I got the interior parts and chassis parts sprayed in a semi-gloss black this morning. I also decided on a last-minute color change to Gold instead of Blue. Then this afternoon I mixed up a batch using Chroma Molten Metals Xanadu Gold, Dorado Gold, and Delta Black. I ended up with about 7 coats to build up the shade to where I wanted it. It looks like another coat or two is needed on the hood to blend with the fenders. I'll probably spray on a coat of clear before the Black Hemi Billboard decals go on.

IMG_1390.JPEG

IMG_1397.JPEG

IMG_1391.JPEG

IMG_1394.JPEG

IMG_1396.JPEG

• Like 2

• Dragonhawk1066 changed the title to Revell 1971 Hemi Cuda in Gold Metallic, 1/24 Scale.

I worked on the steering wheel and shifter along with a few other things yesterday. Today I cut the lights from the bumper, trimmed the excess plastic off, and re-glued them on using wire pins. I also got the Black Hemi Billboard decals on. Thankfully they went on fairly easily, and I think they look great against the Gold body color.

IMG_1399.JPEG

IMG_1408.JPEG

IMG_1413.JPEG

IMG_1414.JPEG

IMG_1416.JPEG

• Like 3