Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gordon Murray Automotive T50 - by Tamiya

niteowl7710

1 hour ago, David said:

"Black window frame sections are integrated with a single, upper monocoque part, which eliminates the need for masking and painting of window parts."

That's a heck of a nice feature given how complex that shape is.

Looking at the built prototype, I'm thinking how much better this will look with black Sharpie run around the edges of all that glass before installation to hide those edges. Which means I'm already pre-planning my build. Time to start thinking about colors...

• Like 2

I’m guessing that for the best part of $3m. you can have pretty much any colour you want… though I’d probably start with the F1 palette for old times’ sake. Silver is a bit boring, though, and although the black one looks wicked, I always think it hides the shape and details a bit, especially in scale in a display cabinet…

best,

M.

17 minutes ago, Alegitbot said:

here is the unpainted model being shown at tamiyas flagship store, suprised they molded the body in high sheen silver, very good use of photoetch on the rear

Fn8qj_WakAAhVTC.jpg.d03c729bf700e069da660bc3db22c258.jpgFn8qfQ8aQAEy1e4.thumb.jpg.e05a06aca348325985d23ce3ca300473.jpg

That is fantastic! I know it’s receiving mixed reactions due to being an unusual subject (not a porsche, or Ferrari) but I think it’s great. I will be getting one for sure simply because it looks like it will go together well and I generally like cars.

Ben 

tamiya cars must sell poorly overall if they are dropping the skill to entry by molding it in silver plastic, these models aint cheap in canada afterall...

Dont like how they made the windows the same as the mclaren sennas, wish they just gave us window masks, the end result where the window should be glossy black isnt nice looking or refects the real car.

Fn8qhghagAAJHO5.jpg

Fn8qk2waMAAI96c.jpg

6 hours ago, Alegitbot said:

tamiya cars must sell poorly overall if they are dropping the skill to entry by molding it in silver plastic

Yeah, that full engine detail, opening parts and photo-etch really screams entry level skill rating, doesn’t it…?

The most challenging plastic car kit I’ve ever built — the Fujimi Enthusiast Ferrari GTO — had a body moulded in red like the real thing. Go figure…

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon
  • Like 3

Almost every single Tamiya Ferrari kit made, including those entry level FXX-Ks and Enzos were all molded in red, unless you got the Banana Yellow Special Edition kits. The DBS is molded in color, and the LFA probably would have been too if the most common color that car came in wasn't white.

Edited by niteowl7710

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Almost every single Tamiya Ferrari kit made, including those entry level FXX-Ks and Enzos were all molded in red, unless you got the Banana Yellow Special Edition kits. The DBS is molded in color, and the LFA probably would have been too if the most common color that car came in wasn't white.

To say nothing of the confounded metallic blue that they molded the otherwise superb Alpine A110's in! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a fan of Gordon Murray (more of a Steve Nichols kind of guy) but not gonna lie I want that GMA T.50 kit. Will probably do one in Genesis Blue to replicate the spec on the F1JOY-registered McLaren F1 and P1JOY-registered McLaren P1. Which means dark blue overall interior with red driver seat.

2 hours ago, Tyas said:

I am not a fan of Gordon Murray (more of a Steve Nichols kind of guy) but not gonna lie I want that GMA T.50 kit. Will probably do one in Genesis Blue to replicate the spec on the F1JOY-registered McLaren F1 and P1JOY-registered McLaren P1. Which means dark blue overall interior with red driver seat.

Well, T50JOY is a perfectly legal registration… and it’s currently on a red Ford Focus with a 1 litre ecoboost engine.

Best,

M.

• 1 month later...

Oh, I don't know... I quite like the idea of 100 new TS colours matching every one. You've got to bet that pretty much every colour that was ever on an F1 will also be on a T.50, and real Murray fanbois might replicate a few Brabham liveries as well...

best,

M.