Model Cars Magazine Forum

Primer for Createx or Craft Paints

I mostly only use craft paints and Createx anymore and always use primer first. The craft paints especially do not adhere well to bare plastic in my experience, and rub off fairly easily. I'm not sure if sanded plastic would make them adhere better or not, and I've not really tried Createx over bare plastic. To save myself from any problems, I have used primer over pretty much every part and body I have ever painted these last 5 years I've been back in the hobby, whether it's under enamels, lacquers, craft paints, or Createx. The only way to truly know is to try it on a spare body or hood.

41 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I have used primer over pretty much every part and body I have ever painted these last 5 years I've been back in the hobby, whether it's under enamels, lacquers, craft paints, or Createx.

What brand of primer are you using under Createx and craft paints?

I use a lot of crafts paints, some Createx ( I have and use Createx for textiles anyway) and also artist acrylics in either the student range or soft body level 1 paints. Also Goldens High Flow paints.  Let me just say right up front that you need primer for any of these on hard surfaces like plastic models. And they all stick well to primer and primer to plastic. All are capable of a nice finish but you will likely want to clear coat. In Createx do yourself a favor and get their 4030 and use about 10%-15% of that in your blend ( this converts the paint to a poly acrylic and also improves flow and Createx formulated it specifically to convert their paints for use on hard surfaces), along with about 15% 4011 reducer. This will insure good flow and make your paints ready for hard surfaces. I make my own reducers for the other lines, I have two formulas.

I personally use Stynylrez primer or Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 as my primers. Just keep them mixed well, especially the Stynylrez. Mr Primer is lacquer, think big stink but short lived as it dries rapidly, Stynylrez is a Poly Resin Acrylic primer with nearly no odor and what there is is not offensive. Both bond very well to plastic.

Also as an add on here, right now I'm experimenting with the 4030 in the other acrylics besides Createx with good results. And by the way you can also use their 4050, it just might produce more satin sheen where you might have wanted a flat for instance. 4050 is basically the latest and greatest one up from 4030, it's slightly thinner and more glossy when dry is all and can be used as top coat with uv protection where 4030 doesn't have that capability..

Anitas is good quality craft paint, still needs primer under it..

22 hours ago, Miatatom said:

What brand of primer are you using under Createx and craft paints?

I pretty much only use Stynylrez anymore, it's great stuff. I have used Rustoleum 2X, Touch 'N Tone, Brite Touch, Testors, and Tamiya with Createx and craft paints. Pretty much any primer will work for them.

• Thanks 1

I love stynelrez primer under acrylic paints for miniatures as I rarely use true acrylics for model cars. But I have to admit it is a MAJOR pain to clean out of the airbrush in my experience.

Vallejo primer sprays well, and cleans easily but adheres terribly and thusly isnt durable, 😔 though it still has its uses.

Just my personal opinions/ experience.

1 hour ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I love stynelrez primer under acrylic paints for miniatures as I rarely use true acrylics for model cars. But I have to admit it is a MAJOR pain to clean out of the airbrush in my experience.

Something that I recently picked up on in a video on Youtube was to be sure not to spray all the paint in the cup out. Leave a little and there's less chance of drying the cup and nozzle/tip out. What did you use to clean it with and what type of airbrush were you using? I use the Procon PS-290 for spraying bodies.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

Something that I recently picked up on in a video on Youtube was to be sure not to spray all the paint in the cup out. Leave a little and there's less chance of drying the cup and nozzle/tip out. What did you use to clean it with and what type of airbrush were you using? I use the Procon PS-290 for spraying bodies.

I usually use one of a few Grex tritiums

Yea I've noticed that leaving some in does help a bit.

And I've tried multiple things... soapy water, Alcohol, Lacquer thinner.... window washer fluid, Windex...

All sorts of stuff. 

91% Alcohol seems to work pretty good as well as lacquer thinner. It's just a bear to remove... wich is basically the point of the primer anyway.

I tell everyone it's a must to clean the airbrush immediately when done shooting Stynylrez. I go right to the kitchen sink and get the water running full hot water. That and alcohol 91% are what I use. And it takes some scrubbing. My alternative primer is Mr Primer Surfacer which just melts away with a few shots of hardware store lacquer thinner. Both are excellent primers but my go to is Stynylrez, despite the extra work of being sure the airbrush is truly clean. The very hot water helps though.

51 minutes ago, Jon Haigwood said:

I did a bit of research of the Createx line and discover that  AutoBorne sealers are also primers. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBF7XFjpAM&ab_channel=CreatexColorsCo

I have used the Autoborne black and it goes on super smooth.....but, at least in my case after spraying it on the bare plastic and even after drying several days, it scratches right off easily.

Anyone else use it and have that issue?

42 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I have used the Autoborne black and it goes on super smooth.....but, at least in my case after spraying it on the bare plastic and even after drying several days, it scratches right off easily.

I watched the video from Createx. Did you sand the model first? I always use a wet brush and Comet scouring powder to scuff my models instead of sanding them. Additionally, I'm assuming you used 4011 to reduce it by 15% to 20%. On the video, Chris said the drying time was 10 to 15 minutes. My suggestion is to send an email directly to Createx. They are excellent at responding quickly. It's a holiday weekend so you might have a little delay. I was having problems with their 4030 clumping up with 4012 reducer but they responded today that I should be using 4011. I'm going to try that this afternoon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Miatatom said:

I watched the video from Createx. Did you sand the model first? I always use a wet brush and Comet scouring powder to scuff my models instead of sanding them. Additionally, I'm assuming you used 4011 to reduce it by 15% to 20%. On the video, Chris said the drying time was 10 to 15 minutes. My suggestion is to send an email directly to Createx. They are excellent at responding quickly. It's a holiday weekend so you might have a little delay. I was having problems with their 4030 clumping up with 4012 reducer but they responded today that I should be using 4011. I'm going to try that this afternoon.

Yes I'm telling everyone that 4030 and 4011 are the products to use when spraying to hard surfaces like model cars with Createx paints.. In fact in this forum there are a few threads where I suggested this. Additionally you can use 4050 in place of the 4030 plus it can be a UV protective clear coat later on if you choose. The 4030 is not a top coat but you can use it as an intercoat between colors. But you will notice a difference in your paint with the 4030 in your colors alone. I got my information from Createx as well so I'm not making it up lol !!

I've most lately been experimenting with 4030 in craft paints and high flow type acrylic artist paints as well....... Just experimental at this point but results thus far have been quite good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

No never tried it, Mike. I have tried various clears that were supposed to be primer capable and to me non really were like actual primer with pigments. I've already mentioned my go to primers so won't repeat that info. Suffice it to say I use them for a reason though.

I do use Createx clear base coat on dark textiles before trying to airbrush light colors on to dark but that's another topic. I believe you're supposed to be able to use 4030 in that base and use that as primer on plastics but never tried it. Least not as yet.