Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting in because of F1

bo_ells

Morning!

I built a little (badly) as a kid, and recently decided to get back in for F1 models. Girlfriend got into watching F1 with me this year and while looking for things to decorate the home office with, I decided I wanted to give F1 modeling a go, among other subjects.

She got me the Tamiya RA272 kit and a tool set, I've decided to take the mini plunge with a decently reviewed airbrush kit, I have a full shopping list for the local hobby shop to get all the paints, and I'll grab a practice kit while I'm there to cut my teeth (along with some plastic spoon airbrushing :P) Also have several reference websites for the RA272 bookmarked, which opens my eyes to a whole new appreciation of the machine and it's history.

Have already seen a bunch of fantastic stuff here.

My first airbrush practice was a blast!

Realized the Tamiya paints would need ventilation while I was standing at the hobby shop, so I pivoted and scouted the Vallejo racks for approximate color comps (except the TS-7 body color- will just do the body outside :p)

These spoons were two in white primer and two in black, went over the first and third with red, and the second and fourth with red adding the Metal medium.

Anticipate I'll be making a journal of sorts for the mixes and the pressures they sprayed better at. The metal blended ones didn't really well at 40 vs 30 for the primer and unblended red paint.

I grabbed one of the AMT 66 Chevy Modified Stocker kits as my practice kit and will try to match the part colors to the RA272 kit so I get a feel for how those parts will come out.

PXL_20230101_103103319.jpg

• 2 weeks later...