Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvino's JR - '71 Petty Plymouth

TooOld

19 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Continued awesome work. The seat is really something to behold.

Thanks very much Mark!

19 hours ago, drodg said:

Great work.   

Thanks David !

18 hours ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

I can't wait to see this one finished. Will be following along on this build. 

Thanks Maxx !

I managed a couple of quick additions last night . 

First I made the shoulder belts into a "Y" belt to attach it to the roll cage . 

And I worked on a new shifter using a Detail Master set and the shifter boot from the kit .  The DM set comes with tiny lead balls that you're supposed to drill but I just cut one from a ball-link chain , it already has the hole . 

The finished shifter . 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Johnny Canuck said:

That seat is a throne fit for The King. 

Good one !

3 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Superb work Bob. The MCG PE set looks very good and you are making maximum use of it. Best seat & seat belt combo I have ever seen!

Thanks much Pierre !  The latches for the belts came from Future Attractions , his website has a link to a video that shows exactly how to assemble them . I followed those instructions and the latches went together with no problems at all , I was surprised they were that easy . 

I tried something different and wrapped the steering wheel with some tape , not the greatest but maybe I can work with it . 

I was able to tighten the tape before spraying the wheel with some clear , it doesn't look too bad installed on the dash . 

It's time to start assembling the interior but then I realized I should do the underside first . The last couple of weeks I've been painting all of the parts so it went pretty quick . I also added oil lines for the differential oil pump and cooler . Haven't done anything like this for several years because of arthritis and poor eyesight but I've been feeling pretty good the last month or so and decided to give it a try before things go south again . 

Now I can move on to the interior ! 

• Like 2

Yesterday I found a problem with the fire extinguisher , it's way too big . It measures nearly 32 scale inches long with almost a 4 inch gauge !  Instead of cutting it down I just made a new one .  

This is inside Petty's car . . . 

. . . the Salvinos part and my new one .  

After paint I'll add a mounting bracket and straps . 

Edited by TooOld
  • Like 1

I had problems with the fire extinguisher but it's finally finished , crooked straps and all . 

And the interior is 99% complete , I think all that's left is the rear view mirror . 

Edited by TooOld
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 2:15 PM, catpack68 said:

Very nice work on the interior and chassis! Looking foward to seeing more updates👍

Thanks Scott !

On 3/4/2023 at 9:07 AM, Lowlife ! ! said:

Great work Bob, the interior is looking fantastic and thanks for showing the window net how to !

Might have to nick this idea !

Thanks much Martin !

I haven't had much time so this isn't really an update . . .  

Before starting on more assembly work I created the artwork for a few decals , the oil filter and battery , and a Petty Enterprises decal for the aluminum panel on top of the radiator . I don't remember if I saw one on a restored car or a clone but it looked neat so I made one with white and one with black lettering . 

99 - Engine Compartment Artwork

Here's a photo of the actual printed decals . 

100 - Engine Compartment Decals

It's been a while since my last update but this last week I've managed an hour or so every day and I'm slowly making some progress . Here's several photos of the engine compartment , I can't install the radiator until after the engine is in place .  That's next , it'll be tight but I tried it once already to make sure and it does fit okay .  

Thanks for looking !

On 3/14/2023 at 12:52 PM, Pierre Rivard said:

That detailing is beautiful Bob, Do you make your own oil line fittings? They look very good.

Thanks Pierre !  The fittings are really easy to make but look more to scale than most I've seen used .  Start with a piece of 24 gauge wire , strip the insulation , and paint a collar with aluminum paint .  Then you can bend the end as needed before gluing it in place , the small aluminum hex nuts are from RB Motion . 

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

Thanks Pierre !  The fittings are really easy to make but look more to scale than most I've seen used .  Start with a piece of 24 gauge wire , strip the insulation , and paint a collar with aluminum paint .  Then you can bend the end as needed before gluing it in place , the small aluminum hex nuts are from RB Motion . 

Thanks for sharing this Bob. Wonderful idea.

On 3/14/2023 at 11:16 PM, dwc43 said:

Looking fantastic.

Thanks DW !

On 3/16/2023 at 8:53 AM, Belugawrx said:

All of the additional detail and scratchbuilding is paying off Bob 👍

One of my favorite '70's cars ...Cheers

Thanks Bruce ! One of my favorites too !

Finally have the engine and radiator installed , I modified the radiator so that the upper hose is on the correct side . There are two sets of radiator hoses in the kit and neither upper hose was even close so I made my own out of solder , one of the lower hoses was close enough to use . I also finished the oil lines , battery cables , and miscellaneous wiring . Whew ! 

• Like 1