Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tommy Ivo Showboat completed

Farmboy

Thanks everybody for passing along the kind words, happy the model turned out!  

Lucky, the pipes are indeed small diameter aluminum tubing.  A description of how they were done is in the build thread.  The velocity stacks are metal ferrules.  I ordered them as a kit of a few hundred in varying sizes and diameters, super cheap.  Actually I'm getting my photos together for a short thread on how the fuel system went together -- including the stacks.

Hey mike I just found this posted here on MCM .  Having followed your build thread I know how much extra work went into detailing this and I just got to say BRAVO !  It's about time someone gave this kit some TLC and made it into a real show stopper , congrats once again on a beautiful Showboat !

Hey Echo, thanks for the shout out!  I'm glad the kit turned out ok.

....Wait until you show this to someone totally unaware of the car and it's history! Way to go....  Robert, about 95% of the reactions I've gotten from friends has been "what the h*** is that!". .. but my wife thinks it's cute lol.

Thanks Rodney.  If you find the kit get it, it's worth the time if you have some experience.

Tooold, I added the build here as it's such an old kit, but I've never seen one built on line. I thought there would be a number of modelers who could relate to it and  would enjoy seeing it done.  Thanks for the kudos, much appreciated!

Edited by Farmboy

Thanks Mike.  magic muffler supplied a picture showing slight changes to the showboat interior after it became the wagonmaster  MM would occasionally wrench for Ivo and the current owner.  Nice bit o detail to have.

Thanx for the shout-out Dragline.  It's not a beginner kit fer shur, and specifically the kit center row headers will give anyone problems using the jigs supplied (do the center ones on the model one by one), but get past that, and with a bit of building experience you'll have a satisfying model for the shelf without too much problem right out of the box.

I have one of these kits and have studied the pieces. I’d say to successfully and cleanly build this model in itself is worthy of a pat on the back. Then you factor in that you fully wired and plumbed all 4 Nailheads. Not to mention scratch building 36 matching header pipes. This one deserves a standing ovation! Well done!! 

😎

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 2

Stellar build, Mike. It is a real display of tenacity to get through this kit to completion. You've done a heck of a job with it, and the extra detailing is certainly icing on the cake. This must be one of the nicest builds ever done of this kit. My hat is off to you, sir. Very well done.

On 12/27/2022 at 10:59 PM, Farmboy said:

The velocity stacks are metal ferrules.  I ordered them as a kit of a few hundred in varying sizes and diameters, super cheap. 

I must also thank you for the tip on the metal ferrules. Seeing them in your build thread, they seemed to hold promise, so I ordered some from Amazon. I am really impressed with the quality and look of the ferrules. The flared edge is clean and square, the tube is seamless, and the colour is just right to replicate aluminum tubes. And a package contains a few hundred ferrules in five different sizes for a very reasonable cost. Much cheaper than machined stacks, and very nearly as nice. Baomain AWG 22/20 / 18/16 / 14 Long: 8mm Wire Copper Crimp Connector Non Insulated Ferrule Pin Cord End Terminal 500pcs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 12:23 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

I have one of these kits and have studied the pieces. I’d say to successfully and cleanly build this model in itself is worthy of a pat on the back. Then you factor in that you fully wired and plumbed all 4 Nailheads. Not to mention scratch building 36 matching header pipes. This one deserves a standing ovation! Well done!! 

😎

x2. Very well done.