Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 NextGen Camaro part deux

MarkJ

10 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

So no primer or color coat, just Future over the polished black styrene body?

Nice!

Yes. The model is 75% decals covering the body so it just needs to be black between the many decals. So, I think it should work out okay.  It just seemed like a lot of work to prime it gray and then paint it black and then polish out the black paint that would not look as good as the future over the polished body. I would then future over the decals which is what I will do after I put on all the decals. We shall see how the finished product looks. I hear that some people are just putting the decals on the raw body and that's all their doing. Thanks for checking in on the build.

Got the glass installed except for the left front side glass. I wanted to keep the body set down over the chassis till I'm sure the windshield glue is cured completely. If you try to install the windshield on the body with it not in place, it will not fit correctly. At least that is what I have discovered. The body has to be bowed out a bit to get the windshield to fit flush.

22ros35.jpg

22ros36.jpg

22ros37.jpg

22ros38.jpg

22ros39.jpg

22ros40.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, I'm decaling the model and I get to the right roof rail panel Grey scale camo decal. I had already put on the left side, and it fit perfectly. The right side had no chance of fitting. They really messed up on it. Somehow by cutting it in 2 places I was able to fit it together and make it work. Maybe Salvino's knows about this or maybe I'm the first to do one of these or maybe everybody has realized they have to cut the decal in 2 places to get it to work, but its definitely not right. I built the sister car to this one already which has the same grey scale camo decals and the right roof rail camo decal fit perfectly on that model. I don't know if I should tell Salvino's about this or wait for somebody else to tell them. Hopefully this is the only one that doesn't fit.

These decals are getting really frustrating. It takes a lot of daubing with micro sol to get them to lay down properly and don't use future as a color coat. or apply future before you decal. Micro sol attacks it and turns it white if you let it stay on the surface too long. So much for that experiment. I will soldier on and finish this thing but I'm pretty sure this will be the last Nextgen model I do.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

I've only used Microset with decals and no problem with Future. Microsol is the more aggressive version right?

I hope you found a way through and will present the finished model.

I've done about 900, 000 of the one million decals that go on this model so I'm almost done.

Finally finished the decals. I just need to add the bracket to the front of the body, so I don't have to glue the body to the chassis. Then I just need to do the final coat of future and I'm done with this one. Thank goodness for that. These models are very labor intensive and easy to make mistakes. Which I have had a lot of.

6 hours ago, bbowser said:

I hear you about the labor.  I found the instructions not very clear with regard to the suspension and front radiator/cowling pieces.  I wonder if the newly released Fords will be the same?  

I agree, Bruce, and I hope they do try to clarify some things, but I kind of doubt if they will. 

Two more things to do before I can do the final future coat. One is to get the rear body to chassis to snap together. I already did my little trick to get the front body to slide in under the radiator shroud. The other is to finish a part that has nothing to do with the model but has some significance to the back story of the project.

22ros49.jpg

22ros50.jpg

22ros51.jpg

Finally finished and I'm really glad. This was not an enjoyable build at all. I kept making mistakes and it actually took me 6 hours longer to complete this one compared to the first one which is almost identical. I even lost a small decal but I'm not buying a whole new sheet just to get it. Needless to say, this is my last nextgen build. Looking forward to getting back to the old stuff. It's much more enjoyable.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:06 PM, MarkJ said:

I agree, Bruce, and I hope they do try to clarify some things, but I kind of doubt if they will. 

I think they have changed the instructions for the new Mustang releases, Tim Boyd posted some pictures of the new instruction sheet over in the Coming Soon area.

I understand your frustration .  It seems like Salvinos goes to great lengths to get their bodies and 75% of other parts correct but then completely drops the ball with the last 25% of parts , it's like they think nobody will notice . As for using Future . . . it's self leveling and yes the best way to apply it is with a brush , I found those cheap 1" foam brushes from Harbor Freight are the best . Also any damage to the Future or fogging from the MicroSol should completely disappear with a final coat of Future .

And I do hope you'll finish this and post some photos . I've been watching and you're doing a great job , it should look awesome in black !

Edited by TooOld

! agree with Bob's comments about Salvino's. Looking at the pictures of your 2 NextGen builds I had the feeling that the kit was not a satisfying one to build. Newly tooled kits should  be wonderful in details and fitment of parts. Making something great by adding detailing to a classic old kit is a lot of fun but a newly tooled kit should be great as an OOB build. 

Thanks, Bob and Pierre. Bob you are right, the last coat of future did the trick, and the finish looks better than any paint job I ever did. But I won't be doing anymore just future paint jobs. I will post the finished build pictures for sure. It came out just as good as the first build. I might take a picture with both builds side by side just for grins. Another thing Salvino's needs to think about is how they package the parts. I had to use my wife's hair dryer to unwarp the hood, the body, and the chassis floor. The first kit did not have this bad warpage problem. I think that might be where some of the extra 6 hours came from. I also spent some time making a bonus part for the build that the first model did not have. and I added some stuff to the interior, the switch plate, that I did not do on the first one.

I too have been following your builds of the NextGEN cars and await seeing your finished product on this one. I started one but have yet to finish and 2 others that I want to do. Oh, wait make that 3 others, my wife wants the Guns N Roses Erik Jones car from Daytona built.

20 minutes ago, jjsipes said:

I too have been following your builds of the NextGEN cars and await seeing your finished product on this one. I started one but have yet to finish and 2 others that I want to do. Oh, wait make that 3 others, my wife wants the Guns N Roses Erik Jones car from Daytona built.

Thanks, Jason. You gave me a lot of good info on these models when I was building both of them and I really appreciated it.

On 2/28/2023 at 8:55 AM, MarkJ said:

Thanks, Bob and Pierre. Bob you are right, the last coat of future did the trick, and the finish looks better than any paint job I ever did. But I won't be doing anymore just future paint jobs. I will post the finished build pictures for sure. It came out just as good as the first build. I might take a picture with both builds side by side just for grins. Another thing Salvino's needs to think about is how they package the parts. I had to use my wife's hair dryer to unwarp the hood, the body, and the chassis floor. The first kit did not have this bad warpage problem. I think that might be where some of the extra 6 hours came from. I also spent some time making a bonus part for the build that the first model did not have. and I added some stuff to the interior, the switch plate, that I did not do on the first one.

The upcoming Toyota kits and I believe some of the new Mustang kits will have the dash panel and switch plate included as parts.

I haven't had a warped body yet but I did have one warped chassis floor. I heated it up to remove most of the twist and then glued the body down to the chassis which removed the rest of it.

I have found that for me, the best way to assemble these kits is to use liquid plastic welder on as many of suspension parts as possible before painting any of them. I trade off some detail painting for increased strength and ease of build. That seems to work pretty well for me but of course everyone's mileage may vary there.

6 hours ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

The upcoming Toyota kits and I believe some of the new Mustang kits will have the dash panel and switch plate included as parts.

All Nextgen kits released for the 2023 year after the 2023 Chase/Larson kit will have the new dash/switch panel pieces

Edited by martinfan5