Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lamborghini Countach 5000QV (1985)

70 Sting

Got this one in under the wire for 2022. Painted Tamiya LP-1 Black and cleared with Tamiya TS-13. Interior is Zero Paints Beige cleared coated with Zero Semi Gloss. Wheels are Tamiya LP-62 Titanium Gold. Wired the engine with Gofer Racing wires cut from one of their standard distributors.

What I Learned from this Build

1. I still need to improve upon my airbrushing skills. I tend to get orange peel on larger flat surfaces. I think I need to apply it with multiple, thinner coats and rely on the clear coat to provide the necessary shine.

2. The kit went together very well until final assembly. The chassis did not like to slip into the body. I was forewarned by a YouTube video where the builder had severe fit issues with both the body/chassis and passenger doors. He chose to build the 1988 version - not sure if that was worse than the 1985 version I chose to build. To complete the assembly I shortened the mounting tab on the back of the chassis; shaved off the front of both intake side fans as they barely cleared the vents mounted inside the body; shaved off pretty much all of the carburetors and the underside of the air conveyor so the engine cover would sit flush. The body then fit perfectly, however the engine cover still sticks up a bit. Door fit is ok, but could be better.

3. Should have tried airbrushing the windshield tint as opposed to using the supplied decal. 

4. Zero Paint will melt plastic if applied too heavily. Thought I could get away with covering a blemish by applying the paint with a cotton swab... not so much.

5 Clear plastic must carry some kind of static charge. No matter how careful I am with CA glue, a tiny blob and/or thin string seems to find it's way onto the glass. :^(

Happy New Year everyone!

Engine.jpg.d37e837b3eb385c13719f9c4ca24ae45.jpg1562001373_EngineInterior.jpg.a5fee317c09cbfc8f9d2eb6a6e87d8fa.jpg243213659_LamborghiniCountach5000QV_10.jpg.9384b2158302aa03cb1ce1345ab07899.jpg1490025580_LamborghiniCountach5000QV_11.jpg.1bb83125d0b2bc05486725afb1c9f024.jpg373915227_LamborghiniCountach5000QV_17.jpg.6186c9a55771c88aaf07658f8e62841c.jpg1499978681_LamborghiniCountach5000QV_19.jpg.6e0ee5d7ae242b94f6a0e4e2749690c7.jpg1294248626_LamborghiniCountach5000QV_13.jpg.71f607daf38c489f75fc8ac32baf7ecf.jpg585753254_LamborghiniCountach5000QV_09.jpg.d7044a2d27290835bdbdfa7f7619485c.jpg

• Like 13

20 hours ago, Dragline said:

You could tell me all the problems you had and from where I sit I couldnt see a single one. That is a sweet Countach

Fortunately most of it is hidden under the body shell.  As I’ve mentioned in posts in the past, this style of lighting/photography is very forgiving when it comes to finish (errors). :^))

Oh that’s a beauty. This is THE poster car of my youth. Black and gold is always a winner. I like that you didn’t fit the rear wing. I think the Countach looks better without it. 
You’ve done a particularly nice job of this kit (I’m guessing it’s the Aoshima one?). I think the proportions of the Aoshima Countach are more accurate than the Fujimi. I have yet to build one though, and can only hope it might look as good as this. 
Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Despite the issues encountered, the end result is a thing of beauty!

Cheers

P.S. Is this the Tamiya kit?

Thanks Mathias. It’s the Fujimi kit, though I don’t see the box art on Scalemates. This is the kit I have: https://hobbysense.ca/products/1-24-lamborghini-countach-5000qv-85

• Like 1

Good work and it looks nice.
The Fujimi Enthusiast kits of the Countach are not easy to build, I do have a couple Countach LP5000 Quattro Valvole Enthusiast kits myself from the late 80's early 90's.
I also have the Aoshima Countach LP5000 Quattro Valvole from the 2010-ish and it's a bit less detailed but not much, and looks to be easier to build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Harry ..that turned out great.  Luv the engine and interior detail. The wheel color makes the model.  Just for your info...orange peel is the result of the paint drying too fast.  Usually too much air in the paint stream.  Mr Color leveling thinner will help as well as lowering your air pressure slightly. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beeRS said:

Oh that’s a beauty. This is THE poster car of my youth. Black and gold is always a winner. I like that you didn’t fit the rear wing. I think the Countach looks better without it. 
You’ve done a particularly nice job of this kit (I’m guessing it’s the Aoshima one?). I think the proportions of the Aoshima Countach are more accurate than the Fujimi. I have yet to build one though, and can only hope it might look as good as this. 
Thanks for sharing. 

I agree 100% beeRS... I had one on my bedroom wall.  I was torn between black/gold and red/gold - thinking I might build a second one.

Yes, it is an Aoshima kit.

4 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:
4 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Thanks Mathias. It’s the Fujimi kit, though I don’t see the box art on Scalemates. This is the kit I have: https://hobbysense.ca/products/1-24-lamborghini-countach-5000qv-85

Thanks Harry!

Cheers

Sorry Spike, I'm an idiot. It's not a Fujimi, it's an Aoshima kit: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aoshima-059456-lamborghini-countach-5000qv--1291940

• Like 1