Model Cars Magazine Forum

What (Heavy/Semi)Truck engines are not available in Kit or Resin form?

Right now I am just thinking about future projects. My hope is that things will be less hectic this year and I can get back to doing some projects.

So, what engines are not currently available in either a kit or aftermarket resin? Or, are there any engines that are just so bad in kit form you would like to see a better detailed version of?

A more modern 8V92? C Series Cummins? Cat 3412? Just looking for some ideas. 

• Like 1

There isn't a correct Cummins N14 available. Or any PACCAR engine as no one's put out a new KW or Peterbilt since that engine was developed. 

On the other end of the spectrum, smaller diesel engines for the likes of the Ford C and Dodge L would be a welcome addition to the market. Something like a Perkins or Deutz four cylinder.

Edited by Fabrux

Auslowe have a Cummins N14, how correct it is I don't know but it's a lot better than what Italeri like to call a N14 wich is in fact a NTC with an air to air aftercooler.
Otherwise Cummins are well represented with V903, NHC, NTA, NTC, KTA, Signature and X15

Not that many Cat engines are available but C15 wich also could pass for a 3406E, 3406A and possible B, 3408, 1693 and 1150/1160 (wich could be modified with a V style injection pump to resemble a 3208 are avalable, not much else and I would like to have a 3412 for something and even a 1673 or 1674 to use in some older trucks.

Detroit Diesel, a Silver Series 92 like the 8V-92T 1982 forward is not available as far as I have seen, a 8V-92T is available but without the taller Jake Brake valve covers or the newer style valve covers, KJ Humphries at Double Take Replicas did the newer style valve covers but he has paused the resin making since a while back.
Another engine not represented is the DD15.
There are some 6-71 and 6V-71 available on the aftermarket.

Allis Chalmers "Big Al" is of course missing.

The Paccar MX 11 and 13 engine are not available so far. 

Mack MP8 wich is the same as the Volvo D13 is available as well as the older ENDT 675 and 676, the E7, the ENDT 875/876 and E9 V8, not much else.

For the European market the only engines I know anything about is Volvo and Scania and there are lots of versions of their engines missing.

For Volvo the missing engines are the TD162, the D12, and D16 (MackMP10), the D13 (Mack MP8) is available as well as the old TD120F

For Scania there is a 6 cylinder engine wich might be a DC13 available on the aftermarket, the old DS14 V8 wich was in almost all Scania kits from Italeri and  with some modifications are still with us, but they have not made a correct early or late version of the DC16 V8, not even in the lastest Scania kit from Italeri.

Edited by Force
  • Like 2

Series 60 Detroit is available in some kits but with the cost of buying an entire kit to only use the engine is kind out of my budget. Even being out of production for almost ten years, the Series 60 is still way newer then the Cummins that are in the rehashed kits. The engine in the Transtar kit is the old International V8 that is 30 years old. Yes any new EGR or common rail diesel would be a welcome addition to the aftermarket. 

9 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Excellent,  this gives me some things to look into.

I do have a Cummins 4BT that I did a while back. I made it for a Land Rover I made for last year's Cannonball Run.

I have measurements and close up pics of an NA 4-53 I took a few months back. 

22 hours ago, Oldriginal86 said:

Series 60 Detroit is available in some kits but with the cost of buying an entire kit to only use the engine is kind out of my budget. Even being out of production for almost ten years, the Series 60 is still way newer then the Cummins that are in the rehashed kits. The engine in the Transtar kit is the old International V8 that is 30 years old. Yes any new EGR or common rail diesel would be a welcome addition to the aftermarket. 

Auslowe has the Detroit Diesel Series 60 in resin, not cheap but cheaper than to buy a complete Italeri Peterbilt kit and take the engine out of it, because the Italeri Peterbilt kits are the only ones that have the Series 60, all of the other Italeri US truck kits has Cummins 855 NTC.
AMT recently reissued the Italeri Peterbilt 378 and the Series 60 is in it.

Edited by Force

I agree with what’s been said so far. There’s not a whole lot of missing gaps in the most common heavy truck engines. But I very much appreciate your willingness to look into some projects.

Funny, just a few years back, I would have been screaming for a ISX15 or a C15, but the aftermarket has come through for most of the modern and common heavy truck engines. 

The MaxxForce 13 would be a nice replacement for the 15 in the Prostar and Lonestar kits. The 15 was a dud and very few 1:1 trucks had them.

Like others have said, modern Detroits are also lacking, like the DD13, DD15, and DD16. I’d grab up a couple of those, though I can’t imagine they would be super popular because of the general lack of modern trucks to put them in. I have a A&N Coronado one of those would be perfect for, but again, not a common kit. However, I bet it won’t take long for the 3d printers to start creating trucks that would be ideal candidates for the modern Detroits. Kootenay, for example will probably be making a Coronado soon, according to his latest FB post.

Speaking of Detroits, a more modern 8v92 would be good, as you said.

The Auslowe N14 looks pretty accurate to me, but I’m sure there’s always room for more detail.

The new Paccar engines are also not produced. I can’t imagine they’d be popular amongst modelers, but I suppose some guys like myself would certainly grab one for variety sake, and pop it into a resin 389 conversion. 

Edited by vincen47

19 hours ago, vincen47 said:

I agree with what’s been said so far. There’s not a whole lot of missing gaps in the most common heavy truck engines. But I very much appreciate your willingness to look into some projects.

Funny, just a few years back, I would have been screaming for a ISX15 or a C15, but the aftermarket has come through for most of the modern and common heavy truck engines. 

The MaxxForce 13 would be a nice replacement for the 15 in the Prostar and Lonestar kits. The 15 was a dud and very few 1:1 trucks had them.

Like others have said, modern Detroits are also lacking, like the DD13, DD15, and DD16. I’d grab up a couple of those, though I can’t imagine they would be super popular because of the general lack of modern trucks to put them in. I have a A&N Coronado one of those would be perfect for, but again, not a common kit. However, I bet it won’t take long for the 3d printers to start creating trucks that would be ideal candidates for the modern Detroits. Kootenay, for example will probably be making a Coronado soon, according to his latest FB post.

The Auslowe N14 looks pretty accurate to me, but I’m sure there’s always room for more detail.

The new Paccar engines are also not produced. I can’t imagine they’d be popular amongst modelers, but I suppose some guys like myself would certainly grab one for variety sake, and pop it into a resin 389 conversion. 

I have a Paystar 5000 “glider kit” that needs a Series 60. I know this is just a what if build but would like to modernize a heavy duty truck. After seeing the level of detail that is capable with 3D printing, resin copies of available engines are a poor substitute. IMHO 

On 1/5/2023 at 4:19 AM, vincen47 said:

On the MaxxForce 15, they weren't in production for long, just a couple of years, and as I understand it it was definately not a problem free engine, the block and head was Caterpillar and that was not the issue, the problem was the fuel and emission stuff Navistar/International put on it.
So the MF 15 was soon replaced with the Cummins X15.
I read that the MaxxForce 13 also has problems with the emissions stuff and isn't that reliable.

One thing I have seen on the aftermarket is that some engines are not available all the time and there are just a few like Auslowe, Mo'luminum and some others who has the engines in stock most of the time, others can come with an engine but it dissappear quite fast never to be seen again.
I have a couple engines bought from different aftermarket companies that aren't available anymore.

OK, I like the idea of the Big AL. However, to have any prayer of it being close to accurate, I need more information. Landman posted this picture, but the writing is too small to read. Does anyone have a better image that the dimensions are easier to read?

24897920_BigAllis3.jpg.9e953c14e73bd7fdcb7c31a61c09d879.jpg

What about good petrol engines for trucks like

Hall Scott 400 Series

18622684_10208919169607454_2347210757500906258_n.jpg.41ca9c4b18ca85fa2a346d48901d3e92.jpg

I'm currently working on a 3D printed version of a Hall Scott 400 . These are the first printed parts i 1/10 scale. The block, valve cover and oil pan didn't came out with out defomation. I have to modify the settings.

HAllScott400.jpg

parts.jpg

block.jpg

Edited by carsntrucks4you

19 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

OK, I like the idea of the Big AL. However, to have any prayer of it being close to accurate, I need more information. Landman posted this picture, but the writing is too small to read. Does anyone have a better image that the dimensions are easier to read?

24897920_BigAllis3.jpg.9e953c14e73bd7fdcb7c31a61c09d879.jpg

Here's where it came from. Perhaps someone on that forum has the actual brochure (starts on page 16) and could make you a good scan.

http://forums.aths.org/PrintTopic94342.aspx

Edited by landman

3 hours ago, landman said:

Here's where it came from. Perhaps someone on that forum has the actual brochure (starts on page 16) and could make you a good scan.

http://forums.aths.org/PrintTopic94342.aspx

Thanks, I did just ask over there. But WOW, I think there is more spam on that forum than there is content. I have low expectations. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see different aftercoolers to update existing kit engines.  No kit engines have ever been made with these components.

Cummins Big Cam aftercooler:

Genuine Cummins Aftercooler 4915293

Caterpillar 3406B

http://fourtrucks.com/image/cache/data/inventory/4-trucks/engine/750-1982-CATERPILLAR-10041915/01-750-1982-CATERPILLAR-10041915-1024x768.jpg

Edited by PacificEd
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PacificEd said:

I would like to see different aftercoolers to update existing kit engines.  No kit engines have ever been made with these components.

Caterpillar 3406B

http://fourtrucks.com/image/cache/data/inventory/4-trucks/engine/750-1982-CATERPILLAR-10041915/01-750-1982-CATERPILLAR-10041915-1024x768.jpg

This is a possibility, were any of the current kit engines offered with aftercoolers? What ones?

Meaning, was the Cummins NTC ever available with one? What current kit engines could they be added to?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PacificEd said:

Caterpillar 3406B

That's a great idea.

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

This is a possibility, were any of the current kit engines offered with aftercoolers? What ones?

Meaning, was the Cummins NTC ever available with one? What current kit engines could they be added to?

All AMT NTA and NTC, and Revell Germany NTC Cummins engines has water to air aftercoolers except the engine in the AMT White Freightliner SD/DD kit wich has none, but the aftercoolers changed over the years so different options would be nice, the red one in PacificEd's post is one that's not available in kit form, neither is the one in Mr mopars post.
Big Cam or Small Cam is not that visible in kit form as the block is essentially the same except for the cam follower covers wich are slightly bigger on the Big Cam engines, but the exhaust, turbo and aftercooler is very visible on a model.

The Cat 3406 in the Revell snap Kenworth W900 and Peterbilt 359 needs an aftercooler because it has none.

• Like 2