Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Been a car guy all my life but never had the cash to fully indulge my zest for automobiles  ( building models helped satisfy the itch ). I finally did manage to scrape together some resources for a nice '93 Corvette. There is a strong following and support for these cars. Being a high number production Corvette makes it affordable, and it has some truly exotic features. When this car was new I was raising a family and it's $32K sticker was way out of my league. But now the cost for a decent C4 is  1/3 of that, or less. This car has 90K well cared for, locally owned miles. The LT-1 V-8 runs strong, gets 25 mpg at 75 mph, and is fast enough for this old guy. I've replaced the usual age related wear items and buffed the Torch Red paint. I'm proud to own an American automotive icon.

20211017_155417_resized.jpg

20210929_105011_resized.jpg

20210310_155324_resized.jpg

20210310_155336_resized.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice. I've seen a few rough ones for practically nothing, tremendous potential, but just don't have the time to take on anything else.

Great to see this one get a new home where it'll be taken care of. Happy motoring.   :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

Congratulations. The car looks wonderful.

I almost bought a white Greenwood C4 convertible last week, but it turns out my 6'-4" body doesn't really fit behind the wheel of one. 😞

I'm 6'3" and fit like a glove, once I get down in it ! Mines an auto, would not be able to clutch a 6 spd. With the sport seat all the way back I'm comfortable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations on your new car. As you mentioned these can be bought at a reasonable price. I have often wondered about such a buy since the same year Camaro Z-28 will cost more at auction than the Corvette.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beautiful C4! These truly are underappreciated cars. They get trash talked so much by the owners of the newer more advanced cars, but seldom do the trash talkers realize/admit that without the C4, their generation cars would not be anywhere near what they are today. These cars were an unimaginable advance over everything that came before them. They were actually banned by the SCCA from Showroom Stock GT racing as they totally dominated the class, beating it's competitor the Porsche 944 Turbo 29-0 from 1985 to 1987.

I have a 1995 LT-1 six speed that I bought a couple years ago. It is also Torch Red and I just turned 50K on the clock. It is a stablemate to my Mustang GT from 1991 which is also fun, but just not as much as the Vette. Enjoy your 93!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jdcar32 said:

I'm 6'3" and fit like a glove, once I get down in it ! Mines an auto, would not be able to clutch a 6 spd. With the sport seat all the way back I'm comfortable.

Well, I guess I should say I fit but can't drive it. My knee crashes into the steering wheel if I try to put my foot on the brake. Now, if I didn't care about stopping...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a nice clean car! The aftermarket has really come on for these cars the past few years.  I drove a friend's '88 convertible and found it a nice riding & driving car, my crippled self just had problems getting in & out...LOL 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RSchnell said:

That's a nice clean car! The aftermarket has really come on for these cars the past few years.  I drove a friend's '88 convertible and found it a nice riding & driving car, my crippled self just had problems getting in & out...LOL 

Ya the getting in/out part is for the young regarding the C4, I'm going on 70 but in decent shape despite two knee jobs. I have a routine for in/out and as long as I can have the door wide open I'm good. Besides, I love the 'cockpit' experience and driving it so much........

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The footwells on the C4's are deeper than any other Vette before or since. That adds to the difficulty of getting in or out. On the later models like the C7 they did a You-Tube video of how to get in and out of the Vette.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

The footwells on the C4's are deeper than any other Vette before or since. That adds to the difficulty of getting in or out. On the later models like the C7 they did a You-Tube video of how to get in and out of the Vette.

I believe it. I've driven a bunch of C1-C3s. C4's are great cars but not for my arthritic self. LOL They're a tremendous value for what you get.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

The footwells on the C4's are deeper than any other Vette before or since. That adds to the difficulty of getting in or out. On the later models like the C7 they did a You-Tube video of how to get in and out of the Vette.

there's a similar video for the C4. The guy is about 30, 150 lb, and steps in and out like it's a lowered F-150 ! Michael Jordan had C4's that Chevy gave him I suppose, don't know how he did it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2023 at 7:18 PM, redzed said:

our C4 bought 2 years ago a 1990 with only 40k miles bought from 80 year old original owner but i prefer my datsun 280Z !

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_2848.JPG

that's a sweet looking Vette, I'm a sucker for red and salad shooter wheels. Being a 30+ year old Vette they do need a little TLC now and then, I know mine has - new rubber bits, shocks, tires, etc. But my '93 has 92K miles. It runs great and is tight for an older C4. Yours looks great, wish mine had only 40K miles. I'm sure your Z has a lighter feel and is more tossable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yah the c4 is actually my wifes ! we are 70 and 2 years ago she told me owning a vette was always on her 'bucket list' and besides she said i've had a toy (the Z) for 30 years. our C4 with the fiberglass ''springs 'rides very rough. if you run over a dime you can tell if it's heads or tails! i put lowering springs and bigger sway bars on the Z and it is deffinately a little smoother ride than the C4. the C4 is an auto tranny which is boring to me.i did install new shocks, brakes and a temp sensor on the C4

yah as jdcar32 said .....it takes some work getting in and out .

Edited by redzed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well after seeing you guys' cars, I had to chime in.

This was my '93 (bought used but quite a few years ago) .  6-speed, black leather. Probably should have kept it but I do love my '02 WS6 TransAm now.

910505425_1993Corvette2.jpg.53c7bcfdb47526d3d210ee9a30920336.jpg

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I envy you guys. I have loved the Corvettes since I was a young buck. My father was an auto body man for a Chevrolet dealer and he restored Corvettes at work and on the side. 

In 1984 I was a teen looking to get my license, the C4 was a dream. 

I will never forget Mary Lou Retton in her 1984 Corvette that GM gave her after her Olympics win. (Remember the McDonalds commercial?)

 Or Lee Stetson from Scarecrow and Mrs. King, a silver one.

Or the White one "Face" drove on the A-Team.

Sadly, while my income has greatly increased, and the prices have come down, my body has paid the price for doing the jobs I have done.

I am currently 90% disabled through the VA, soon to be 100%. 

I almost bought a 1993, but it was too painful to get in and out of. The ride also was very unpleasant. 

I still hold out hope, my dream would be a 84-86. Yes, the worst years. For me it has to be the older one with the full video game digital dash., the bread loaf dash, no air bags, etc. The car I fell in love with. If I ever do get one, it will have to be an auto, and I will spend more time dreaming about driving it, than actually driving it. 

 

2023-01-20 06_29_54-Start.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I envy you guys. I have loved the Corvettes since I was a young buck. My father was an auto body man for a Chevrolet dealer and he restored Corvettes at work and on the side. 

In 1984 I was a teen looking to get my license, the C4 was a dream. 

I will never forget Mary Lou Retton in her 1984 Corvette that GM gave her after her Olympics win. (Remember the McDonalds commercial?)

 Or Lee Stetson from Scarecrow and Mrs. King, a silver one.

Or the White one "Face" drove on the A-Team.

Sadly, while my income has greatly increased, and the prices have come down, my body has paid the price for doing the jobs I have done.

I am currently 90% disabled through the VA, soon to be 100%. 

I almost bought a 1993, but it was too painful to get in and out of. The ride also was very unpleasant. 

I still hold out hope, my dream would be a 84-86. Yes, the worst years. For me it has to be the older one with the full video game digital dash., the bread loaf dash, no air bags, etc. The car I fell in love with. If I ever do get one, it will have to be an auto, and I will spend more time dreaming about driving it, than actually driving it. 

 

2023-01-20 06_29_54-Start.jpg

Well Scott I was lucky enough to have a wife that didn't mind us spending money on cool cars. Funny story here....after we saw the first Batman movie with the black batcar I talked her into seller her beloved '84 HO Z-28 to buy Corvette, a '79 L-82 Coupe.....the first of 5 to come.  Never could afford a new one tho.  Anyway, the '93 unfortunately was the last one but like I said, love my '02 TA.

Hope your disability doesn't cause you too much trouble.

Edited by TransAmMike
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great purchase! I have some background in expensive automobiles. I am BMW , Ferrari, Ford GT and Corvette certified to work on the bodywork of these cars. The corvette is by far a great car. Especially for the price. America is great for making great things for the masses. You guys would be very surprised to see what the other expensive cars are made of.  I call them expensive Tupperware. Enjoy your fantastic car!!! By the way I have a c6 that has 45,000 miles for  $24,000. Same color as yours. Good job sir!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...