Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Master Black Chrome substitute?

I feel your pain. When I heard it was being discontinued, I raided the paint rack at the hobby shop and managed to score two or three bottles, but I've been keeping an eye out for a good substitute. I have a good selection of flat black and semi-gloss black paints in enamel, lacquer, and acrylic, but none have the right combination of texture and 'blackness' or sheen. 

Tamiya semi-gloss black? (lacquer spray can, acrylic bottle)

I used quite a bit of that Model Master black chrome over the years (usually air brushed), and hitting any gloss black or flat black spray with a few coats of semi-gloss overcoat yielded a similar look, with lacquers being more durable for handling purposes over the Model Master enamel which always remained relatively soft. While the enamel certainly had it's place, you should be able to switch to a new product and end up with something that works at least as well.

Might try Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black. I have used the old stock X-18 in the bottle. I'm not sure how the new Tamiya paints are going to be, but I think this will give you a light sheen finish but not a full-on gloss look.